The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great sounding Pre amp with spdif out
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Great sounding Pre amp with spdif out

So here is whats going down... I have an akg 414 ...and some other budget mics...

I record them into my mbox (original) and into PTLE. and thats basically all I got, besides alot of great sounding plugins for when I mix at home.

I want to upgrade my preamp, I feel running the akg through the mbox pres is like driving a formula 1 through a school zone.

So I want to stay in PT. And Ive been told running a new pre's signal through the mbox pres would negate/ or damage the quality of the new pre sound. So spdif, being strictly digital, would not do anything to the signal. (I don't need more than 2 channels for now)

I've done some research, but I know there are a lot more experienced people out there. Anyone got any good ideas?

ps
(Another possibility. It may be better to upgrade the mbox, for 1. better pres. 2. better converters. But I don't really need that, I don't think, because I'm only recording 2 channels at a time and the new pre should have decent converters. but maybe in the future I wont be able to make a "lunchbox" due to the fact the compressor, eq, ect... must have spdif as well)
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I would just get a better interface with solid built-in pres. Are you on mac or pc? Duet or Babyface, maybe?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

depends what you want to spend. API a2d, or Apogee Mini Me (decent sounding pre's + DI + conversion + intense compression) much better than mbox)
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear
A focusrite ISA one digital is pretty good. Other than that, look at just upgrading your interface and maybe moving to PT9 (so it wouldn't matter what interface you were using)
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for the advice so far,

Quote:
Are you on mac or pc?
pc

and Wow... Did not know about PT9.. that's very interesting and definably makes my decision a little easier.

I'm can spend up to around 1500 give or take. I want some quality, but bang for my buck type of thing.

and I probably will invest in PT9 at some point now that I've looked at that. As for the interface. I've been searching round for some good ones now that I know of PT9. I came upon the focusrite liquid saffire 56... That thing looks dope! If I could get 10 different pre sounds with their own character in one interface, and route it into PT, that would be dope. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I also heard the apogee stuff (like the ensemble) sound killer as well, as well as neve's but i dont think they have interfaces though. IDK. Maybe those would sound better, or maybe there is osmething I'm missing?

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search