The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headphones Similar to Bose Over-the-Ear Studio Headphones
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Headphones Similar to Bose Over-the-Ear

I've had the Bose Over-the-Ear headphones for a year and a half now. After too much abuse on my part, they're now broken. I really liked them, but I don't think I want the same ones for my next pair. I liked how clear they were, but I felt they lacked bass response. I know I'm not supposed to mix in my headphones, but since I still live at home (and soon with my girlfriend who I don't want to subject to a repeating 1/64 arpeggiating chord), I'd like to have something that helps represent what I'm actually doing in my production. Generally I do a lot of electronic stuff, but I'd like to find a new pair that works for all generes. Any suggestions? My price range is about $200, but I'd much rather spend about $100 if possible. Thanks in advance!
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Where did yours break? The same thing happened to me just days ago while tracking, and they broke at the plastic part just above the articulation on the left side. I felt their construction quality was a little sub-par, since I babied them for 2 years and they still failed.

At the same time, I've been looking at the Quiet Comfort line, as I tried them about two weeks ago and the build quality seemed better. The noise cancellation was pretty dramatic, seemed to be about 20 dB of reduction in the sub-1000k range. Bass response was ok as well, since they're over-ears you get a good seal.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

You can see where mine broke. I'm not sure if that's the same as yours, but it's on the right side for me. I used them for tracking drums because I liked how well the metronome didn't bleed through. A lot of times I'd accidentally put my foot on the cord and stand up and I thought that would have broken one of the wires, but I guess I must have been too rough with them putting them in my bag all the time. If the Quiet Comfort ones weren't out of my price range I'd probably go for them since I liked the other ones so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Headphones Similar to Bose Over-the-Ear-img00043-20101223-1849.jpg  
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

The Quietcomfort line is OK, I've been through two pairs though. Expensive when you break them. Much prefer my Sennheisers now!

Also frustrating when you leave them on. Those things eat through batteries for the noise cancellation circuit.
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

What Sennheisers do you have?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaclean View Post
What Sennheisers do you have?
HD600 and HD280. 280s are regular use for tracking, the 600s get taken out of the box for the odd mix check and for general listening. I love the 600s so much, wouldn't trade them for the world.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsilent View Post
The Quietcomfort line is OK, I've been through two pairs though. Expensive when you break them.
Hmm. I assumed they would be better build quality. Guess not. Thanks for the info!

OP: Mine broke where the two plastic supports turns into one, right above where yours broke. Ironic since it seemed like the most structurally stable bit.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

i've got the quietcomfort ones for flying, but I wouldn't mix on them. The bass is just hyped and boomy - impossible to judge bass when compared to monitors is my 2p

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search