The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me spend $2500... Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Help me spend $2500...

I am hoping to upgrade my project (read hobby) studio. I record acoustic jazz (saxophone with Rhythm section), and my son records hard core stuff - similar to Sky Eats Airplane or Alesana.

Current setup

MacBook Pro, Logic Express, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R.
Monitors are Adam A7's, headphones Sony MDR-7506
Mics: 2 SM57, 1 SM58, 1 D112, 2 Lil Blondies, 2 V67G, 1 C3000, 1 C1000

I have thought about upgrading the interface with the RME Fireface UC, and possibly getting a decent pre like the P-Solo. Mics that are on the short list are RE-20, possibly a ribbon like a modded Nady RSM 4 or 5, or Apex 205.

We have access to some nice rooms to record in - a couple of churches in the area have been very kind in letting us use the rooms if I pay for the piano tech.

So, Where do I spend to get the biggest improvement?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

I just read another post very similar to yours I pointed Him to Metric Halo Products I went thru the same thing with my son looking for the best preamp and interface for him to record in a small room. not to mention the money that all this stuff cost. He only needed 2 channels so after a lot of research we decided on metric halo uln-2 with 2d two great analog preamps and top of the line AD DA conversion there are a lot of other benefits with MH products if you search GS for metric halo you will read nothing but good stuff. The best part for me was that I could get top of the line analog preamps and AD DA converters in one box go firewier in to my mac and I am done. You can bring this box with you to the church hook up to a laptop and your good to go.

Ray
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

my paypal is [email protected]

you can spend your 2500$ there. i'll probably put it into some monitors.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Help me spend $2500...

I'm own a few Gefell MV691 build to 48V Phantompower by Andreas Grosser and different capsules for this modular System all reskinned by Siegfried Thiersch. I owned a pair of really good Neumann KM84 and sold them and stayed with these Gefells which are as good and better and those mics are very very clean and nice sounding. In my opinion good mics as matched pair will give you more benefit than better pres.
My 0.02
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Help me spend $2500...

BTW I own the same Monitors and am happy with them.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrish92 View Post
I am hoping to upgrade my project (read hobby) studio. I record acoustic jazz (saxophone with Rhythm section), and my son records hard core stuff - similar to Sky Eats Airplane or Alesana.

Current setup

MacBook Pro, Logic Express, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R.
Monitors are Adam A7's, headphones Sony MDR-7506
Mics: 2 SM57, 1 SM58, 1 D112, 2 Lil Blondies, 2 V67G, 1 C3000, 1 C1000
You are in a gray area: $2500 is probably $1000 above your above amount most folks are spending for "home recording" but it's at least $1000 below what "prosumers" are probably spending. You have a good base, to me, but the budget limits you considerably. That does not mean you are unable to make great recordings though!

Personally I like an MD-421 on sax/horns, heavy guitars, and toms so consider adding it in the mix (also on male vox?).

I think the Fireface stuff would be a good upgrade but you are limited by needing quality pres, converters, and finally acoustical treatment. You could dump $1000 into acoustical treatment and get an "Attaboy - that's a great start!" from most folks (inc. me)

I'm not really sure what to suggest though for pres/converters. How many channels do you need? I want to say, "Get a Digi003 with the BLA mods and put the rest into acoustic treatment." but I guess you need 8 XLR inputs?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search