The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Vocals, saved $2000 and ready to buy Single-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Recording Vocals, saved $2000 and ready to buy

Hello guys,

I have $2000 to burn and looking for an intermediate system for vocal recording.
Found some cheap avalon 737sp for $1000 in craigslist.
Thinking about getting one but I want to hear what you suggest guys.
Also looking for RME and Great River preamps.

What is the best setup for my budget($2000) ?
I also see this suggested for cheap.
Black Lion Audio Auteur Preamp + Echo Audiofire Interface
Babyface
RME Fireface 400
daking mic pre one
Focusrite ISA One

I have at4040 and at4047 condenser mics by the way and
Line UX2 Audio interface and it sucks! Crackling Noise and not clear sound everywhere.

Thanks and Appreciate your help.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Get a Metric Halo uln-2 with 2d card you get 2 great analog pre amps plus top of the line ad da conversion it takes care of your interface and your preamp problems in one sweet box plus with the 2d card it gives you some dsp effects and 22 character effects that emulate different pre amps I can go on&on If you keep an eye on classifieds you can pic one up for 1300 to 1700 thats what I did and I have not looked back. Do a search on GS and read what people say
about metric halo products. They have a 2882 as well which has 8 preamps but I heard the uln-2 were a little better but you only get 2. Also we bought the dsp license which expands your effects greatly with no additional usage on your cpu

Ray
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Great Chitown Ray. Thanks so much man.
I'll look into this "Metric Halo uln-2" and follow your advise.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

So are you looking for just a preamp, or a mic and/or converters as well?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

The MH would be a good choice and leaves extra cash for other things...
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks guys. Appreciate your responses and this will definitely help me save a lot of money in the long run.
Probably spent a lot of money on some cheapos and I want to
change it by looking at realiable gears.

I am looking for preamp and audio interface.
I already have 2 condenser mics and I'll use those for now.

I am pretty new with sound recordings and I am just going with advises.
Thinking about going to Guitar Center or B&H and see how this MH ULN-2 performs.
At least I can return it If I do not like it.

Problem is, I am a PC guy so I am not sure if it will work on hackintosh or
in a virtual machine with Mac OS X Panther.

This all I need to record basic vocals right?
Condenser Mic -> MH ULN-2 -> Mac Computer

This is for personal use only because I like to sing, no commercial or high end recordings.
I just like to hear my voice to have a touch of studio quality.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey, Cam123. Another cool thing about the ULN is that it can be used w/ a PC as a standalone converter into the spdif input of your computer/soundcard... However, you'd probably want to set up some presets on a Mac before using it in this fashion. Then, it's just a matter of calling up your presets on the front panel.

As far as running it in a virtual machine, I've never tried it.... however, I know a guy that runs a MH 2882 on a hackintosh rig with no problems (don't flame me on the hackintosh thing, I'm not condoning it - just commenting)... I do know that you can do the opposite on a Mac, though (running windows audio apps in a virtual machine on a Mac):

http://www.mhsecure.com/technotes/TechNote_0002.php

Good luck...
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Anyone has a sample of recorded vocals via MH ULN-2.
I tried youtube, vimeo and google and could not find a single one.

Thanks so much.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

...used universal audio 6176

used apogee duet

i'd do that and call it a day
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

I am not promising any thing but I will ask my son to see if we can get something up I wish I knew how to get that player that the guys paste into this box I am typing in to. The pres on the uln-2 are real clean my son has a royer 121 that is great for micing amps and has really changed the translation of what we have been getting out of our 4 tube amps that give us a lot of color thats why we like clean preamps. some of his earlier stuff was miced using the AT 4050 a great all around mic fits his voice really well also the sm7b was used as well. on bass he has been going in to the DI on the uln-2 and has been getting pretty good results. the keyboards are perfect the sound you here is the sound you get he has a yamaha clavanova nord synth and a moog voyager and that thing sounds fat. My son has been busy this week with practice for church will see if we cant get something up after tomorrow.

Ray
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Great Chitown Ray. Finally I am able to hear the sound of it.
It will also benefit a lot of folks looking to get one of this.
I really appreciate it.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Hey Cam, I'm Ray's son.

Missing Maine | Valparaiso, IN | Alternative | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

Go to the first song Sticks And Stones Everything else on there is really old and wasn't recorded with the ULN2
Okay....this song's not finished, but it shows off basic instruments.

First things first. NO outboard gear was used. Some EQ and Compression was done with some Waves plug ins, but other then that, the UNL2 with these mic's captured the original sound source rather well. So if it sounds bad, it's cause I suck. lol

First Acoustic was recorded with a R121

Second Acoustic was an AT4050 (Same guitar)

Bass was direct into the ULN2.

Electric was a Dr. Z Maz 18 mic'd with the R121

I played the drums on my MIDI controller with the sound source being Groove Agent. Then I set them to individual tracks and mixed them in cubase.

The vocals are basic. 1 lead vocal, and 1 backup. Very dry. Mic'd with an AT4050
The 4050 helps give me clarity. My voice is normally extremely warm. A little to much at times.

I exported to MP3 straight out of Cubase 5.

If you have Any questions feel free to ask.
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Nut

Cam was wondering what you decided on

Ray

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search