The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to get this vocal sound Ribbon Microphones
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

How to get this vocal sound

I normally hate these kinda questions, so first of all I'm sorry but I just cant figure this out on my own.

And I'm almost always able to hear more or less how a vocal has been treated but not this time.

It would be nice to discuss how they could have gotten this sound:
Hästpojken on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
(myspace is a really bad reference but I think you'll be able what I mean)

I dont know how to get the vocals so airy, while not sibilant at all.
I mean the air it more upfront than the body and sibilants, I just dont think I could get this with just de-essing..I dont know, help me out. I think it sounds amazing.
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

I don't know exactly how that recording was made however the quality you are looking for sounds like it may be achieved by using a ribbon mic with minimal processing. I find that since ribbon mic tend to roll off sharply at 15k or so that the vocal can be mixed to be very up front with minimal sibilance, also ribbon mics seem to be less affected by volume changes and are very easily worked with in regards to proximity effect i.e. a vocalist can easily adjust the amount of bass with small movements towards and away from the mic. A good preamp is also very important. It is often futile to try and achieve good vocals with the ones that come in most small mixing boards. (Mackie boards are particularly poor in this regard as they have high input gain to make their signal to noise specs appear better.) Sorry I couldn't resist the Mackie dig
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks!
I've never used ribbons for vocals, but I suspected it might be something like that since it doesnt sound like anything I'm used to.
Any ribbons you would recommend to try for vocals?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

You could always try writing to them through ms & asking them for info.

There's probably a fair amount of work done to the vocal during editing/mixing besides just the signal chain & dropping in some fx. Might even be some automation on the eq to keep the sibilance at bay & still be able to have that much high end & presence in the track.
Old 23rd December 2010
Apart from the obvious need for a good quality tracking chain and technique - there are many ways to add air to a well tracked vocal. There are plenty of psychoacoustic enhancers and digital products that can give extreme air fx.

One of many possible contenders ... TC-Helicon | VoiceModeler - Voice Modeling plug-in for PowerCore

Seems that Kraftwerk are using this for whispery vocals - maybe they are an influence on some Euro bands ...
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

I am using a CAD Trion 7000 ribbon it was reasonable and I think it sounds great
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search