The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
quick pro tools 9 question Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

quick pro tools 9 question

I'm starting to think I should go ahead and upgrade my pro tools 8 to 9 and I am a little confused on the whole "upgrade" and "crossgrade" thing.

Am I right in thinking that if I already have avid hardware then I should go with the Crossgrade?

I have both the 003 rack and an mbox for home use. Can I buy the upgrade and install on both my macs? One at the studio and one for home as I think I read it asked for a hardware serial number.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

you have two pcs of digi hardware, therefore you are entitled to the purchase of two pro tools licenses at the crossgrade price. when you purchase from a store, like sweetwater, an authorization code is emailed to you. you go to avid.com, enter that code, enter one of your hardware's serial numbers. a license is then sent to your ilok account. (assuming you have one already)

the ilok allows you to install on as many computers as you wish, however, you will need to carry the ilok with you and plug it in to the computer you wish to use.

i would purchase two licenses if you can, leave the iloks plugged in.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the quick reply.

So are you saying that if i pay the crossgrade price, I can get to licensees and then all i need to do is buy another ilok key (as I do have one already) and that way I don't have to travel around and risking breaking my only ilok key?

Should I just buy the crossgrade straight from the avid website?

Thanks for your help by the way.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ok I'm so confused with how the whole Music production Toolkit works with the crossgrade.

I just purchased Pro Tools 9 via the crossgrade option form pro tools 8. I already own the Music production Toolkit 2 which I used with pro tools 8 however when I tried to install the toolkit I get a message that says

"The Music Production Toolkit bundle requires a valid installation of Pro Tools LE or M-Powered."

Am I being really stupid and misunderstood something. I thought the toolkit was supposed to work with the crossgrade?

Please share some light.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted #157546
I'm pretty sure upgrade is for LE users and cross-grade is for M-powered users.

I'm not sure about the multiple hardware license entitlement would be, but all you should need is one license at upgrade price...the way I understand it.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

AFAIK there is no specific Music Production Toolkit release for v9.

Most of the aspects of MPTK2 are now included with v9 base program - others that aren't included should still be installed/working from your pre v9 installation.

There is an upgrade path from MPTK2 > CPTK which makes v9 essentially a v9HD native CPU.

Avid website (somewhere) has documentation.

Hobson

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

You almost got me really worried then for a second but I was sure I read it right when I ordered it form sweetwater

See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
quick pro tools 9 question-sweetwater.png  
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think they are all labeled as "crossgrade" because LE/M-Powered are at a dead end - as Avid has publicly stated, there is now just PT9.

Hobson

Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

True but does anyone know what the deal is for people who previously own the music production toolkit?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

There are two different crossgrades for M-Powered and for LE. As long as you have a piece of Digi hardware you are good to go. Keep in mind the original Mbox and 001 are excluded, so if you purchase a crossgrade with one of those it will not work.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemicrock View Post
True but does anyone know what the deal is for people who previously own the music production toolkit?
All the functionality of the MP Toolkit, aside from the plugs and VI's, no comes standard with Pro Tools 9. Those plugins and VI's that came with the original MP Toolkit are still accessible with PT9. When you purchase MP toolkit 2 it essentially gives the same feature set as PT9 HD.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

You are correct. They are phasing out LE, but M-Powered will remain in existence. Starting next year they are going to sell their interfaces with and without Pro Tools 9. When purchasing an interface you will have the option to purchase PT9 for an additional cost.

josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobson View Post
I think they are all labeled as "crossgrade" because LE/M-Powered are at a dead end - as Avid has publicly stated, there is now just PT9.

Hobson

Old 24th December 2010
Ok, you are getting some messy information here. If you buy one crossrgrade and wish to use it on two computers you will need to swap the ilok back and forth everytime you switch computers. I believe this is why Lynn recommended that you buy two crossgrades and leave the iloks plugged in so you can avoid swapping.

Like Joshua says, the MPT is worthless now in PT9. The only toolkit that matters is the "complete production toolkit" which you would also have to buy twice if you want the full functionality on both computers without swapping iloks.

The most cost-effective way would be to buy one crossgrade and one CPT and just swap iloks between systems, unless you feel that paying an extra $250 + an extra $2k for the two additional licenses is worth it (which I don't, personally). Hope that was helpful.

BTW, happy holiday to everyone!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
Ok, you are getting some messy information here. If you buy one crossrgrade and wish to use it on two computers you will need to swap the ilok back and forth everytime you switch computers. I believe this is why Lynn recommended that you buy two crossgrades and leave the iloks plugged in so you can avoid swapping.

Like Joshua says, the MPT is worthless now in PT9. The only toolkit that matters is the "complete production toolkit" which you would also have to buy twice if you want the full functionality on both computers without swapping iloks.

The most cost-effective way would be to buy one crossgrade and one CPT and just swap iloks between systems, unless you feel that paying an extra $250 + an extra $2k for the two additional licenses is worth it (which I don't, personally). Hope that was helpful.

BTW, happy holiday to everyone!
Right'o Dave. He hit it on the head! thumbsup
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone for all your advise and help. It is all much appreciated.

So far PT9 has been a pain in the ass. I have just been trying to test it out here at home on my Mbox2 pro before I install it at the studio.

So far I have had it crash on me starting up probably a dozen time (without installing any other plug-ins), the sound wouldn't work. Led displays would light up on the track clearly showing the signal coming through but no sound. Apparently for now you have to hold the N key down on start up to access the Playback Engine and choose your devise there to actually load the drivers.

Did that but now as soon as I hit play with just one track in the session I get the error -6085 "the audio device buffer underflowed, try increasing your H/W buffer size bla bla bla. Changed it to 1024 from 512, no difference.

Using iMac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5 - 4GB Ram 1333 Mhz DDR3

Repaired my disk permission, trashed prefs and no change. Not impressed.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

After trying a few different setups it seems I am to fault on the buffer error. I have my G Drive 7200 rpm going into my imac 800-800 then had my mbox chained to the hard drive 800-400. With this setup I get the error.

I tried switching it around and now have my mbox going straight into my g drive into my imac and all "seems" to be well.

I have no idea in regards to the technical side of why it works this way but it does. If anyone else has this problem please point them to this thread.

Happy Christmas everyone.
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

I dont get something.
I have an maudio project mix i/o console.
Than I bought a mpowered protools 8 academic license because I was studying sound engineering. It was only the programm, NOT with hardware since I already had maudio project mix.
Now to crossgrade to protools 9 it says it will ask me for ilok (ok I have this), and for hardware serial number (??? I bought it alone and use it with my own card...).
Anyone knows if I will have a problem if I buy the protools 9 crossgrade?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search