The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Shure Beta 181, Anybody Try One Yet? Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

New Shure Beta 181, Anybody Try One Yet?

I'm not sure if the 181 is shipping yet, but I'd like to know what you think if you've tried it. Thanks.

Bill.

LINK: Shure Americas | BETA 181 Ultra-Compact Side-Address Instrument Microphone | Precision, Sensitivity, Vocal, Instrument

Old 28th December 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Bump! I curious about this mic too!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Me too! I haven't tried it but, but I always felt that the side address and lollipop style small diaphragms (like the AT450 or Josephson E22s) are very useful for fitting in tight places on things like drums or live applications.

According to its specs it looks mostly flat up until its presence area (4-7k) where it has a very sharp boost (5 dB at 7k!). They must be quite bright!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Shure must be very impressed with this mic. $499 street price? Seems quite high, given how crowded the SD condensor market is.
Old 29th December 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5 View Post
Shure must be very impressed with this mic. $499 street price? Seems quite high, given how crowded the SD condensor market is.
Yeah, I'm a little bummed about the price as well but it still might be worth it. I'm interested in the hypercardiod caps for toms...kinda like a poor mans e22s.
Old 2nd January 2011
500 series nutjob

bump
Old 4th February 2011
Here for the gear

I have always been suspicious of electret condensors. Thats the only thing keeping me from getting behind this mic 100%. The 151dB Max SPL looks nice though. Can't wait to hear it.
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Nut

I just used two on a session as tom mics. They were incredible. The hypercardiod capsule minimized cymbal bleed very well. They captured the attack and the body of the drum very well. They're probably going to live on toms for quite a while for me. They were super easy to place and weren't in the way of the drummer at all like some traditional tom mics (421, I'm looking at you).
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

Sweet! I love my ATM450's but have been hesitant to use them on toms, because their capsule cage is... well... questionable for stick proximity.

Exploded, the capsule area looks really beefy on these. Would you concur?
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra View Post
Sweet! I love my ATM450's but have been hesitant to use them on toms, because their capsule cage is... well... questionable for stick proximity.

Exploded, the capsule area looks really beefy on these. Would you concur?
The area around the capsule is very beefy. I'm not sure of the material, but it seemed like machined aluminum surrounding the capsule. Either way, it was heavy for no bigger than it was.
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploded View Post
I just used two on a session as tom mics. They were incredible. The hypercardiod capsule minimized cymbal bleed very well. They captured the attack and the body of the drum very well. They're probably going to live on toms for quite a while for me. They were super easy to place and weren't in the way of the drummer at all like some traditional tom mics (421, I'm looking at you).
Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to trying these out. As far as the price I was looking at e22s' so the price is somewhat lower for these.
Old 30th March 2011
Anyone tried the super-cardiod capsule on snare? Curious to hear about its hi-hat rejection.
Old 23rd June 2011
Gear Addict

Anybody else? The new Sweetwater catalog has 'em with all sorts of capsules. Looks really cool.
Old 17th July 2011
Gear Addict

Bumpus redundis anyone?
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Head

I have three of them and absolutely love them. I've used 'em on toms and snare. In application, they're a poor man's josephson e22s, and They sound great.
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Nut

What about how they sound compared to e22s?
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Head

I haven't used the e22s frequently enough to make a valid comparison; my statement was intended to indicate an adequate substitute in application.

I can tell you that I am quite happy with the sound of the Beta 181, though.
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

I have had a go at them. They are quite impressive actually. Their small size and rotatable capsule allows you to get them into some tight spots. I used them on a baby grand piano and they did wonders.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

I was on the Beta test group....
This is a great microphone and in regards to the hypercard capsule
it was my favorite actually. This mic is not quite as thick as the e-22
but it is quite detailed and smooth and at the price it is a no brainer.
I am about to order 4!
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Anymore thoughts? Been eyeing these a while
Old 18th November 2011
AB3
Lives for gear

Would like to hear more comments on this. I believe the Josephson e22s is a little bit wider than a cardioid so I would expect it to get a little more depth than the hypercard capsule on the 181. But that does not mean the 181 may not be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
I was on the Beta test group....
This is a great microphone and in regards to the hypercard capsule
it was my favorite actually. This mic is not quite as thick as the e-22
but it is quite detailed and smooth and at the price it is a no brainer.
I am about to order 4!
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

Bump

Still haven't pulled the trigger on these yet. Any further thoughts? Still enjoying them?
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Head

bump. anybody else used these yet?
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Bump. Any vocal tests?
Old 6th May 2013
Gear Maniac

Old thread but anyway! I use them often live, on drums, guitar amp, acoustics instruments, or what ever. Really don't sound bad on anything (rather good that said), and can be beaf on snare and tom. side adress, multi capsule and high spl are big advantages too; not all mics will go where this one will be agree to go. I can't compare with the e22 and I haven't used them on voice but great idea.
Old 7th December 2013
Here for the gear

Beta 181 = Awesome

I've been touring with the Beta 181's with Take 6 for about 10 months. I use them in grand Piano with the lid shut, the ultimate test for a small capsule condenser. I have to say, I'm impressed. I run them absolutely flat EQ, unless I have a bad sounding piano.

They beat out any other microphone for piano I've ever used. Earthworks, DPA, Audix SC25, AKG 414, etc...

I would buy them even if they cost $700.

Regardless of my opinion, every engineer I run into around the world goes nuts over them. Their sound speaks for itself. I should post a vlog with an audio sample... I'll do that. Tony Huerta on youtube.

[email protected] 6.com
Old 7th December 2013
Gear Guru

I reviewed the Beta 181 for Recordinghacks.com I think they are really great little mics. And they are little, which I think is cool.

Shure Beta 181 Review | recording hacks
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I reviewed the Beta 181 for Recordinghacks.com I think they are really great little mics. And they are little, which I think is cool.

Shure Beta 181 Review | recording hacks
I love the last recording of the heavy toned acoustic duo's , really cool sound . What mic did you bring up half way through the mix ? Where is the full recording of this tune ? You did an excellent job of demoing the mics , I thinking about getting a pair and I agree the hi end is so natural.
Old 7th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
I love the last recording of the heavy toned acoustic duo's , really cool sound . What mic did you bring up half way through the mix ? Where is the full recording of this tune ? You did an excellent job of demoing the mics , I thinking about getting a pair and I agree the hi end is so natural.
Thanks a lot, ARIEL.

The left guitar is an Aseyer L32B, and the right is a Octave MC012.

The band is called Nicotine Poetic their website doesn't have much going on. They've broken up because one of the main guys moved. If you want, I can probably get a CD for you.
Old 8th December 2013
Han
Lives for gear

I reviewed them for a recording magazine as well, together with a pair of KSM 137's, very nice sounding mics, both the 181 and the 137, which has a very nice mid, great om grand piano, acoustic guitar, upright bass and overheads.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search