The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Something occurred to me today.. Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 23rd December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Something occurred to me today..

One of the top rated shows is x factor type shows
that glee program is really popular..
but people dont buy music..
Music is at the center of our lives but yet the music industry is in the ****ter
I think its to do with lots of factors but one I believe is music(commercial) is now even more then ever like fast food..there is nothing if value in it.
I hear the odd times of the songs and they could be written in 5 mins..dont know can you blame the writers but music is just in an odd place right now I think
Old 23rd December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I think x factor Is a simon cowell show in the UK. People like that kind of stuff. Why because it's fun.

As far as people buying music I have no Idea what your talking about. Everybody I know buys and listens to music. In fact I don't think anybody is on strike against music and the radio still plays it going as far as paying royalty's. Now your not going to walk into everyone's home and find a coldplay album like you would the rollings stones or beatles but my guess there is a reason for that.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

dude people buy way way less music then years ago
thats not my opinion
its a fact
Old 23rd December 2010
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
dude people buy way way less music then years ago
thats not my opinion
its a fact
It is certainly a fact.

And the way we buy it, when we do, is changing, as well.


While I'm not crazy about a lot of the songs I hear at the top of the charts (not that I have ever often been in the past, mind you), and certainly some exhibit a seemingly low level of songwriting craft, I don't think it can be said that the companies behind those songs don't spend a lot of money to get them made and get them to the top of those charts.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Let's say I frequent a bakery. I have been going there for years. Why do you ask, because I love cookies. I think they are tasty delicious they make me feel better and I am in a better mood because I eat them. Well in 1994 this bakery started doing things to cut corner and took just a little bit of sugar out of there cookies. At first I didn't notice and went on buying and eating cookies. Well every subsequent year they figured well people are still buying cookies we can take out a little bit more sugar eventually going as far as replacing chocolate chip cookies with hootie and the blow fish and later not even wanting to pay the blow fish they just started selling Darius Rucker albums.

That might be an abstract tale but when quality goes down it effects the demand on that product. I'm not going to buy music that isn't up to the quality standards that people have grown to expect since the 1950s and it wasn't like in the past 60 years there was just one great song or band so it's impossible to compete with those standards. There had been hundreds and hundreds of great bands and 1000s of great songs. It's just nobody wants to put the effort in to what it takes to make great music.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #6
Well, I'm not really sure what you were saying there, but it sounds vaguely like you're suggesting you only buy good music -- and that makes excellent sense to me.

Vote with your pocket book, so to speak. The economic interests who control the majority share of he music market do understand the bottom line, even if they're not always sure about everything that goes on above it...
Old 23rd December 2010
  #7
Gear Head
 

I'll resist the full on rant and just point out that X-factor et all are not really about music anyway and so there is no irony/ contradiction as you suggest there is.

If those same acts played the traditional live circuit (wherever it still exists) the 20 million (or whatever it is) audience would neither know or care.

And even given the advantage of pro recording, production if any of these artists released their singles minus all the TV publicity, again, very few would care.

What is being manufactured, marketed and sold is more along the lines of audience participation and celebrity... gossip, a competition, TV game show style entertainment... NOT music.

It's not about the music (certainly not new music)... music is just the theme, the vehicle used to create more TV gameshow style entertainment with the lucrative spin off that you can buy a 'piece of the show' - a memento - in the form of a Christmas single.

X factor should really be thought of as a clever marketing (business) strategy and C list celebrity self promotion vehicle thinly disguised as a TV game show/ light entertainment with buckets of corporate dumbing down and social Darwinistic competitiveness indoctrination thrown in for good measure.

That's how it should be described in the TV guide.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #8
Gear Addict
 

There are great bands out there, but what's going on with the majority of the music industry has made it very hard for the great bands to make an impact. I tend to think of the "timeless" classic artists like Led Zeppelin, etc. It's hard to say any band would be the equivalent of that (although many claim to be and fall short), but there are probably some similarly great bands out there that are struggling in obscurity and will never become "classic". If they had been around 30 years ago, we might still be talking about them today.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #9
Gear Addict
 

If something can be got for free with almost no risk of punishment then that is the way that the majority of people will go. People always say, "I can't afford to buy music, it's about £10 a CD". This in my opinion is a pathetic excuse. I used to save up for weeks when I was young to buy a new CD and I never thought that I should be getting it for free.

People on this site feel very strongly about music and is something that is close to their hearts. However, this isn't the case for the vast majority of people who consume music as if it's cookies from the analogy above. These people will not buy music because they can get it for free. And if you accuse them of ripping off an industry they will remind you that they voted 5 times for X Factor this year so they are definitely contributing.

The argument about music being de-valued is one that I have always believed in. If something is free then you will not respect it in the same way that you would if you had saved up and paid hard-earned money for. For example, I bought an album years ago for the normal price (about £15 back then) and put it on when I got home. I thought it was rubbish. However, I'd saved up for that album so I thought, "I'll give it a chance". After several listens I started to enjoy it and now is one of my favourite albums. Would I have experienced the joy that I get from this album if I had downloaded it for free? Of course not, I most likely would never have listened to it again.

Stealing music not only harms the industry but it hampers the listeners enjoyment of an art form. It's lose, lose. But try telling them that.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
There are great bands out there, but what's going on with the majority of the music industry has made it very hard for the great bands to make an impact. I tend to think of the "timeless" classic artists like Led Zeppelin, etc. It's hard to say any band would be the equivalent of that (although many claim to be and fall short), but there are probably some similarly great bands out there that are struggling in obscurity and will never become "classic". If they had been around 30 years ago, we might still be talking about them today.
There isn't. Simple as that. I don't think any record company is going to pass up the chance to make billions of dollars on some great band that just hasn't had a break yet. In fact they look for those types of bands and when they find them they exploit the opportunity as much as possible.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #11
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsweeper View Post
For example, I bought an album years ago for the normal price (about £15 back then) and put it on when I got home. I thought it was rubbish. However, I'd saved up for that album so I thought, "I'll give it a chance". After several listens I started to enjoy it and now is one of my favourite albums. Would I have experienced the joy that I get from this album if I had downloaded it for free? Of course not, I most likely would never have listened to it again.

Stealing music not only harms the industry but it hampers the listeners enjoyment of an art form. It's lose, lose. But try telling them that.
Hey, that's a good point! It's true. I'm guilty of buying a CD, ripping it to mp3 to listen in the car, and if I get bored with it, I delete the mp3s and usually never listen to the CD again. My attention span totally goes out the window as soon as the music is converted into mp3 format (even if I own the physical CD). Of course, I can afford to buy CDs more easily now than when I was a teenager, so I somehow feel like I don't have as much invested in buying one. Same price (more or less), but less of my total income now. But I don't buy as many CDs as I used to because there just aren't many that interest me. I still try to approach new music like I did as a teenager with little cash - I do as much research as I can to make sure I really want the CD for weeks ahead of time. Somehow, I still get bored with them when I put them on the mp3 player.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #12
Gear Addict
 

People buy less music than before, but they buy the X factor stuff. And that's all the X factor really cares about.

Same with Glee.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #13
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
There isn't simple as that. I don't think any record company is going to pass up the chance to make billions of dollars on some great band that just hasn't had a break yet. In fact they look for those types of bands and when they find them they exploit the opportunity as much as possible.
You're right, it's not as simple as that, but there are too many reasons behind it to really explain. The bottom line is that these types of bands today (as new artists) probably could not make billions of dollars - because of the rest of the music industry (declining sales, short life-span of popular music, etc).
Old 23rd December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 

As far as pirating goes that's a load of crap it's just peoples excuse they use because they, their friends album, an album they worked on. or a band they liked sold some copys but not as many as they think it should have.

Look at U2 people have been bootlegging U2 tapes since they released there first album and they still are one of the most album selling acts ever.
People "stole" more music in the 1980s than they do now by far.

If you don't want some college kid who doesn't have the money for romen noodles to be able to listen to your music that's fine but that kid is going to get his degree eventually and get a job. Every time after that when a new format comes out he will most likely buy instead of bootleg that album he got for free. Most likely multpule times in his life.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #15
Whaty 'bouty this idea: good music is not hard to come by these days?

And I am NOT talking about piracy or stealing anything-- I am talking about the superfluous numbers of great bands who will voluntarily beg you to pay attention to them-- online, live at a bar, anywhere and everywhere?

When music was rare, it could command a price, but these days can't we say we all waltz through a sea of music, and the competition among all the seahorses is driving this music to steadilier loftier levels of excellence?

Add to this, or consider alongside this, all of these bands are fully capable of producing superbly wonderful recordings of what they do... and there's just a glut of great stuff. A record company in the world today is trying to sell ice to Eskimos.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
As far as pirating goes that's a load of crap.
really? there was an estimated 1.2 billion illegal downloads last year and that's not counting the torrents. as someone who makes a living in the music industry since the 90's, the effect of "pirating" has been the most devastating factor in the current state of the industry. We saw the effects come gradually from 2000 to now. Teens which were the backbone of sales now say, "Why buy when it's free?" and spend their limited money on something else. People on the sidelines never know what's happening on the playing field.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Whaty 'bouty this idea: good music is not hard to come by these days?

And I am NOT talking about piracy or stealing anything-- I am talking about the superfluous numbers of great bands who will voluntarily beg you to pay attention to them-- online, live at a bar, anywhere and everywhere?

When music was rare, it could command a price, but these days can't we say we all waltz through a sea of music, and the competition among all the seahorses is driving this music to steadilier loftier levels of excellence?

Add to this, or consider alongside this, all of these bands are fully capable of producing superbly wonderful recordings of what they do... and there's just a glut of great stuff. A record company in the world today is trying to sell ice to Eskimos.
I can't really argue that because I'm basing all my opinions in this thread on my personal opinions. This could be the case and I could just have horrible taste in music. It is a definite possibility. Who knows maybe one day it will hit me and I will say to myself I get this music, I like this music, and I wish I could of appreciated it earlier. Right now that's just not how I feel and reflects on the music I puchace. The last music I down loaded recently this month in fact was some Tony Orlando and some men at work. So I am really digging deep to satiate my musical lust. Defiantly take everything I say with a grain of salt and realize I'm not sitting here looking at the music charts of the past 6 decades or the statistics on music piracy. Everything I say is just my opinion and should be considered so when reading my posts.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #18
Gear Head
 
BrianW's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
dude people buy way way less music then years ago
thats not my opinion
its a fact
Is it actually a fact? With all the internet download sites, and the ability to buy music via a click without ever leaving your house, less music overall is sold than when people had to drive to a store and take home a record, tape or CD?

I'm not saying you're wrong, nor am I saying you're right... I'm saying this: "facts must be backed up with references in order to be verified as true or false".

What does "years ago" mean? 1950's? 1970's? 1990's? Either way, pick a series of years... say, 1976-1985, and go look at the charts. How many singles & how many albums total were purchased during that 10-year period? Then do the same for 2000-2009, total singles & total albums purchased, including downloads. Then return here & state the actual numbers and your sources.

Personally, I buy more music now than I did 20 years ago, just because it's so easy to do so & $,99 per single is next to nothing. How much were singles on 45's 25 years ago? How much would that be after adjusted for inflation etc?

EDIT:
Actually, with one search, I immediately found this article:
Overall Singles Sales Smash British Record In 2008
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
BrianT / So much gear, so little time
39
dbbubba / So much gear, so little time
188
Jay Selway / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
3
nobtwiddler / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump