The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
guitar centre
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

guitar centre

Been looking through the used stuff on the site as im looking for some monitors.

just wondering if anyones had any issues with uying used gear from guitar centre?

EDIT:Also anyone from UK use the ste and know about cost of shipping etc?

Last edited by whoswho?; 23rd December 2010 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: stated above
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I bought a used bass and bass amp from them but it was right out of the store. Never had an issue with it and I got them to throw in a 1 year warrenty for free, which isn't the greatest haggle but all I could get out of the guy and I needed the stuff.
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoswho? View Post
Been looking through the used stuff on the site as im looking for some monitors.

just wondering if anyones had any issues with uying used gear from guitar centre?

EDIT:Also anyone from UK use the ste and know about cost of shipping etc?
they ship 110 volts units only.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply, can i not just use a converter?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru
This is America, Brit boy. It's guitar center!!!!!!!!!heh
Old 24th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoswho? View Post
Thanks for the reply, can i not just use a converter?
yes you can. but according to my experience, most stuff sounds worse or different if you do not consider rebuilding the PSU.

most of the times, espacially with high end gear, you can just resolder the transformer wiring which takes an experienced tech 5 minutes to open the box, 5 minutes to figure out how it works, 60 minutes to explain you electronics, the life and all the rest and 1 minute to resolder it..

thumbsup
Old 24th December 2010

A lot of gear has multitap transformers and will will work on UK voltages too. Check with the specific piece of gear you're looking at.

matt
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

My experience is that 50% of the time they sell used gear below market value. So it's usually a pretty good deal...however, I would check out whatever you are buying in person if you can. They get their used stuff from trade-in, so many would trade in junky/defective gear.

I've bought several used things from GC, and resold it on eBay for a profit...lol
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

They are okay to buy from, but trying to selling used gear there is a different story. I have a buddy that is a manager at a guitar center, he straight up told me once "Don't sell your used gear to us...we will rip you off." Lol.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

ok not sure whether ill buy new monitors or not just yet. but thanks to all the replies has been some real help

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search