The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A really great mix
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

A really great mix

Hello folks!
I was in the mood for some good songs from the early 2000s and I remebered this song:

Savage Garden - To the moon.

Man, it has such a great mix.

Just wanted to state this.

I think one of it's "secret ingredients" is reverb (room probably) with little early reflections, applied to multiple instruments+vocals and blended quite high in the mix to give the impression of space.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Damn I remember buying that Savage Garden cd in my early youth when life was good. Lately I've been watching 90's sitcoms and people posting music from those years, talk about nostalgia...
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

A Chris Lord-Alge Mix and one of his better album mixes IMO. But it was ALL there on tape to begin with.

All recorded on 2" 24 Track tape machines (x 2) under the watchful eye of Australian producer Charles Fisher who is a Master at this game. He shuttled tapes between studios and his home studio where he also had (x 2) 2" Tape Machines for the best part of a year. He re-mortgaged his house (!!) to finance much of the production of this album.

Everything was really well executed. A Great rythm section and band (Terepai and Alex). Good players. Intelligent arrangement and 2 Great Singers.

It's not my taste musically but Credit Due.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear
PISS OFF - that album/song/band is my countries worst export - do your really want to sound like that in this day and age - they were marginally better than the average boy band, but Savage Garden? Seriously? Has nobody learnt from their mistakes?

I am going to have to stand by this comment despite the 4am christmas morning hangover (Australia is in the future of course) - but faaark
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Good lord that's 80's!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Man, the lead singer of Savage totally reminds me of the lead singer from Cause & Effect. Funny stuff!

Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
haha yes! Australia represent...the savage garden combination in itself was pure genius...that topped with CLA...would've been strange if the mixes WEREN'T genius...darren hayes has the perfect voice for that sorta stuff...
Old 25th December 2010
All you haters.

And the best part is it's always their countrymen who hate their guts the most. heh

It's Christmas and stuff, be nice.
Santa is watching you tutt

Can we now hear which worldwide smash hits did you make in the same year? fuuck

Great song and great mix.

By the way, i was not too crazy about Savage Garden but they've had their share of good songs and big hits and i respect that.

I love song called "Insatiable" from Darren Hayes that has got one of the best choruses i've ever heard in my life.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
All you haters.

And the best part is it's always their countrymen who hate their guts the most. heh

It's Christmas and stuff, be nice.
Santa is watching you tutt

Can we now hear which worldwide smash hits did you make in the same year? fuuck

Great song and great mix.

By the way, i was not too crazy about Savage Garden but they've had their share of good songs and big hits and i respect that.

I love song called "Insatiable" from Darren Hayes that has got one of the best choruses i've ever heard in my life.
Haha...i thought you were talking about my post for a second, didn't realise there was another Australian in the thread before me...i guess they WERE a band that you could either love or hate, but you can't deny they fit a niche and soared for a few years...

My favourite savage garden performance was actually this...it was credited as just darren hayes, but if you look careful, daniel jones is right there on the piano as well...sang it at the ARIAs one year while Delta Goodrem was battling cancer:

YouTube - Darren Hayes - Lost Without You (ARIA 2003)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search