The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ruminating like a Cow .... Dynamics Plugins
Old 23rd December 2010
Ruminating like a Cow ....

I seem to be getting more mastering jobs lately than mixing [2:30 am just finishing up a 5 song EP]..i think the DIY has gone deeper and there are some talented young kids out there today..

they all ask the same question when they are leaving..where do we go from here?

in the past the question wasn't asked ..it was label work and a form and structure to the craft with lines delineated..

the more i hear great music from obscure people from obscure places and think .."damn if only other people can hear this"..the more i realize my job has changed

you can take the money and run but if you love music it's time to change and put on another face to help bands license and promote their music

call of duty special ops grossed 1 billion dollars in 6 weeks

the paradigm has changed..but there are tv shows, indie films, commercials , video games etc that can be the conduit for good music to be heard

on our service side of the biz we need to learn how to fulfill that area
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
on our service side of the biz we need to learn how to fulfill that area

It's great if you think you have the ability to do that. But I don't agree about the "we" part. Working in a high-end studio, you get the last of the label work. You are only now seeing the unsigned bands many of us have been working with forever.

I feel for the artists, but if I had a talent to connect them with their market, I think it would have shown up a long time ago.

I have spent my whole professional life making it crystal clear to every client, I am not a promoter, manager or agent. That my studio is not a label, radio station or record store.

It's not a question of taking the money and running. I wouldn't know how to do those other jobs well even if I wanted to. If I was any good at helping bands license and promote stuff, I would probably be rich now. I would probably be too busy promoting to have any time to record and mix, however.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Since you mentioned COD, it's quite interesting that a band could probably make as much, if not more, money by having a song on the radio stations in Grand Theft Auto than they could on the radio in real life...
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
It's great if you think you have the ability to do that. But I don't agree about the "we" part. Working in a high-end studio, you get the last of the label work. You are only now seeing the unsigned bands many of us have been working with forever.

I feel for the artists, but if I had a talent to connect them with their market, I think it would have shown up a long time ago.

I have spent my whole professional life making it crystal clear to every client, I am not a promoter, manager or agent. That my studio is not a label, radio station or record store.

It's not a question of taking the money and running. I wouldn't know how to do those other jobs well even if I wanted to. If I was any good at helping bands license and promote stuff, I would probably be rich now. I would probably be too busy promoting to have any time to record and mix, however.
i see it differently, my friend is one of the top FOH engineers in the world [had to put that in there because i'm so proud that in keith richard's new book he said he was the best live sound engineer he ever worked with] ..we had the SAME convo ysterday.he has a studio where he works with kids too, in his "off time"...it's driven by love of music .it's being a patron of the arts..not his need for money

and yes for 30 years i never worked with unsigned talent...but i def am have more fun now

and i'm amazed how these young kids are aware of the likes of albert king, roy buchannon, danny gatttn, kirwin, green etc etc..
Old 23rd December 2010
It does take a certain, special psychological profile to promote bands and track down opportunities and be relentless in seeking out arenas to place their music in and drive on against the headwinds towards achieving a foothold.

It's bordering on nonsensical, but creating the great music has nothing to do with this-- it's much more like a relay race, you gotta pass the baton to the next runner. But it sure is an occasion for wonder-- the sensation that all these fantastic tunes deserve their place in the sun.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
.it's driven by love of music .it's being a patron of the arts..not his need for money
well, I love the music too, but I really have no ability to help them on that other level. What precious few non-engineer contacts I have in the music industry are constantly complaining about how bad things are, not complaining they need more bands, more songs!

At this very moment, I am ducking a call from a very nice lady who somehow expects that I will have an insight into how she can stop beating her head against the wall getting distribution for her music. I feel badly, and I would not mind talking to her, but for the fact that I know I have no advice that will make a difference.

My very advice is worthless, never mind my effectiveness as a promoter/manager/agent.

With my limited skill set, the only way I could 'help' the struggling young artists would be to record them for free. Business is down for me too, so that is not an option. I am a struggling OLD artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson
It does take a certain, special psychological profile...
exactly. I am in the field I am in partly because I don't fit that profile. I engineer partly because I don't promote.

Come to think of it, I think I play the drums because I don't dance.
Old 23rd December 2010
Maybe they just need a change of clothes .. I dunno, maybe start wearing meat or something ...
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I tell you what I would like to see is another "Midnight Special" type of program on tv for some of the best new talent around. I am so sick of the garbage they are feeding us. Tv in general sucks. The victoria secret fashion show is the best thing in months and that is just sad. What happened to all those shows like soul train and midnight special. When i was little I couldn't wait for them.
Old 24th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
well, I love the music too, but I really have no ability to help them on that other level. What precious few non-engineer contacts I have in the music industry are constantly complaining about how bad things are, not complaining they need more bands, more songs!

At this very moment, I am ducking a call from a very nice lady who somehow expects that I will have an insight into how she can stop beating her head against the wall getting distribution for her music. I feel badly, and I would not mind talking to her, but for the fact that I know I have no advice that will make a difference.

My very advice is worthless, never mind my effectiveness as a promoter/manager/agent.

With my limited skill set, the only way I could 'help' the struggling young artists would be to record them for free. Business is down for me too, so that is not an option. I am a struggling OLD artist.

exactly. I am in the field I am in partly because I don't fit that profile. I engineer partly because I don't promote.

Come to think of it, I think I play the drums because I don't dance.
You just need a flashier car, shabbier clothes, and to talk faster. And a PA -- someone to carry your phone -- that gives you traction.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search