The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sennheiser 604 VS SM 57
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Sennheiser 604 VS SM 57

For a hi tom and a floor tom.
I'd love to spring for the 421 but it's simply out of my price range.
The 604s seem just right.. or am I reading too much into it?
Will 57s give me a comparable outcome?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

ehhh?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

the 604s will blow away 57s on toms, IME.
i love 421s, but i find the 604s are easier to position due to their smaller size and clips.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-enough View Post
the 604s will blow away 57s on toms, IME.
i love 421s, but i find the 604s are easier to position due to their smaller size and clips.
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. I can think of far more massive records which have been recorded with 57s on toms than with 604s. There is a reason behind that, other than having lots of 57s lying around.

Just because the 604 is usually referred to as a 'Tom Mic' and the 57 a 'Snare and guitar' mic, it doesn't mean they are best at those things!

I am not saying either will sound better or worse, really depends on a) the drums you're using and b) the drum sound you're after. If you're a studio and dealing with lots of different kits and sounds, I would be going 57 just to keep it simple and regular.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. I can think of far more massive records which have been recorded with 57s on toms than with 604s. There is a reason behind that, other than having lots of 57s lying around.

Just because the 604 is usually referred to as a 'Tom Mic' and the 57 a 'Snare and guitar' mic, it doesn't mean they are best at those things!

I am not saying either will sound better or worse, really depends on a) the drums you're using and b) the drum sound you're after. If you're a studio and dealing with lots of different kits and sounds, I would be going 57 just to keep it simple and regular.
I'd really like a BIGGGGGG tom sound with a recognizable high end.
I work with a Tama Rockstar EFX with a 9x12 rack and a 16x16 floor.
Like I said - I want a powerful low end with a nicely pronounced snap.
I mostly use Remo coated emporers.
I know I COULD use 57s - but everything I read swears by the 604s for a more defined, bigger sound.
I know EQing has a lot to do with things.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

The 604 will probably get you that sound with less work in the mix but you could get it done with either. Microphone type is about the least important decision when it comes to tom sounds anyway.

-Chris Parsons

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search