The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Big mic problem! Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Big mic problem!

I've been having a huge problem with my beloved AT4060 for the last few hours and I didn't know where else to turn. You all have bailed me out so many times in the past, I hope someone has a good answer for me. Anyway, I have an AT4060 condenser, about a year old. It's been working fine, yet all of the sudden, today whenever I turn its power source on, the mic makes sort of "whooshing ocean type noises" for about 30 seconds, which then turns into the most indomitable screeching beep that these virgin ears have come across. That lasts until I turn it off (I haven't been brave enough to try it out for too long.) Has anyone ever experienced this? Does this mean my mic is done for? Or is it the power source? Do I need new wiring?
I've never heard of a mic literally screeching before.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

I'm so distressed I forgot to mention... I'm putting it through a profire 610 (octane pres) and it's going into Cubase 5. However, I know my DAW is not the issue because I can monitor it straight from the Profire and the same thing is happening.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Is the Mic itself screeching?
(thats probably very bad)

or is it creating that noise through your monitors?
Can you try a different pre amp?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

It could be the monitors... but I sort of doubt it. Everything else is coming out fine. I don't have another pre (though technically the profire has two... and I tried both of them) that I can try it on at the moment, I could go to a friend's some other time. This would really, really suck.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference in diagnosis, but the last time I dared turn on the power source, the mic actually sounded fine for about a minute before it started shrieking like a banshee.
Old 23rd December 2010
'Sounds like you need to replace the tube. Should be relatively inexpensive.

Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Maybe.... thank you that's good advice. I was hoping that was the issue
This may also provide some insight (and could possibly incriminate me as incredibly stupid... but hey here's to honesty), but I left my shock mount at a friend's two days ago, so I have just been letting the mic (wrapped around the stand) lay free from its augmented XLR. I hope I'm explaining this clearly enough, but basically the mic has only been attached to its cable, and has been left hanging from the stand for about two hours in total. Is this incredibly bad for it and have I mistakenly really, really screwed up? Or are these things unrelated?
Old 23rd December 2010
I don't see how hanging the mic by the cable could cause the problem. In the long run you might damage the XLR connector or mic cable, but not cause those sounds.

This reminds me of sounds a guitar amp makes when a preamp tube wears out and becomes "microphonic". The amp starts screaming when it warms up.

Most often when tube gear fails it's a tube issue.

Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Ok glad to hear it. I didn't think so but this had me scared. Well if indeed it is a tube issue... I guess this is a good excuse to upgrade? haha, silver lining... if indeed that's the case.
That would be nice and manageable. If anyone has any to recommend for this mic that would be great. I hear the JJ 6922s are nice...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search