The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee ad8000 dead? DAW Software
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Apogee ad8000 dead?

Hi all,

After taking about 2 years off recording, I got a chance to make a record and I dusted off the gear and set up a basement studio.

When I plugged in the pro tools rig (mix plus runnng 6.4.1, 2 apogee ad8000s and a 888/24) everything seemed fine until I hit play on an old session and some nasty distortion came out of the my Apogee. I checked the cables and every thing seemed fine. I tried every combo of cable I could but I got the same distorted sound.

The only thing I could make work was the 888, it would play back fine. But no matter what combo of clock source or cable the apogees would distort but the 888 sounded fine.

Does any one know if there is somthing in the Apogee that could fail at the same time? A setting that I messed up?

Thanks,

Reed
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

anything changed internally since you last used the system ?

Sounds like it could be a clocking issue , are they passing any audio or just crackle ?
Old 23rd December 2010
pan
Lives for gear

Are you by any chance using unbalanced inputs?
The AD8k does not like to drive unbalanced gear.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan View Post
Are you by any chance using unbalanced inputs?
The AD8k does not like to drive unbalanced gear.
In fact I am using unbalanced inputs. The studio that I am using has an unbalanced 1/4'' patch bay and I am going out of the Apogee with an unbalanced snake.

Do you know what makes the AD8k not like to drive unbalanced gear? If I got a balanced snake, do you think that would make it work or would it still not work because of the patch bay?

Thanks,

Reed
Old 24th December 2010
pan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaReed View Post
Do you know what makes the AD8k not like to drive unbalanced gear? If I got a balanced snake, do you think that would make it work or would it still not work because of the patch bay?

Thanks,

Reed
Sorry, I don't know why this is so, but the unbalanced PB is your problem. Don't you have another way to connect to your Outboard/Mixer? Going direct?

Happy holidays!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search