The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hobbyist - studio monitor suggestions? Studio Monitors
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Hobbyist - studio monitor suggestions?

I am a recording hobbyist looking into a first set of studio monitors. All I'm looking for is something with a decent frequency range, a decent price, and reliability. I've been looking into this pair of Fostex monitors. Any horror stories? Any advice for alternatives?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

What is your budget?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

I'd certainly like to stay under $300 for the pair.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Do you have a stereo amplifier that you can use to power some passive monitors? That is an easier way to stay within your budget.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

I wish... that would be nice.
I need powered monitors.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O View Post
I am a recording hobbyist looking into a first set of studio monitors. All I'm looking for is something with a decent frequency range, a decent price, and reliability. I've been looking into this pair of Fostex monitors. Any horror stories? Any advice for alternatives?
ATH-M50s... I know you asked for monitors but seriously, I think these phones are that good. I have Mackie HR824s that I have used for 11 years now. The ATH-M50s sound really close. My mixes have dramatically improved since I started mixing with these. If anything, get a pair with whatever monitors you choose.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
ATH-M50s... I know you asked for monitors but seriously, I think these phones are that good. I have Mackie HR824s that I have used for 11 years now. The ATH-M50s sound really close. My mixes have dramatically improved since I started mixing with these. If anything, get a pair with whatever monitors you choose.
Thanks for that! I put that page in my bookmarks folder haha - I need a good set of cans too... but first I need A set of monitors. My headphones are at least existent hah.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

At that budget, I fear that you are going to buy an inexpensive pair now, feel the pinch of low quality within a year or two, and then buy again to get a more expensive pair. Lots of people do that, but they could have saved money in the long run by buying what they wanted in the first place.

There is a pair of Adam A7 powered monitors being sold in the Classified section for a good price that is twice your budget. If you can swing it, I would get those.
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

I paid $300 for my yamaha hs50's. Might want to look into them.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Could do a lot worse than the KRK RP5 speakers...Punch quite a bit above their price.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Look into a pair of Yamaha HS-50m's. Every mix I did on those translated really well. They're a bit thin in the low end due to their size, but you can add a sub down the road, or check the low end on a pair of good headphones like the ath-m50's already suggested.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

The HS50s look good for my purposes. I just can't do it for the price - Sweetwater has 'em at $200 per speaker. I'm so broke... I think I'm just gona get some cheap-o's and upgrade when I can.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

I'd rather have a nice pair of headphones and mediocre monitors than the other way around. I think that's the mantra.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaparker View Post
At that budget, I fear that you are going to buy an inexpensive pair now, feel the pinch of low quality within a year or two, and then buy again to get a more expensive pair. Lots of people do that, but they could have saved money in the long run by buying what they wanted in the first place.
+1 thumbsup
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaparker View Post

This is very true and I certainly have thought this... but I REALLY need something to tie me over until I CAN buy what I really want. I don't mind the one-two year pinch.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru
If there is any single thing to stretch your budget on, it's monitors. Ken Scott has made this point several times on his forum. If you can't hear what you're doing, nothing else matters.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
If there is any single thing to stretch your budget on, it's monitors. Ken Scott has made this point several times on his forum. If you can't hear what you're doing, nothing else matters.
My recording buddy JUST told me the exact same thing.
Maybe I should hit up the KRK RP5s?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

KRK Rockit Powered 6 Monitor G2 LE Ferrari Grey on eBay!
Even cheaper on musiciansfriend.
I think I'm doing it with my next check.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O View Post
KRK Rockit Powered 6 Monitor G2 LE Ferrari Grey on eBay!
Even cheaper on musiciansfriend.
I think I'm doing it with my next check.
The Fostex's are actually excellent monitors, the ATH M50 headphones are nice, but have an appreciable high end shelf boost above 5.5k of about 2db, and an additional narrowband spike at 9.2k of around 2db. If correct for it, the M50s can work well, if you don't, mixes won't translate.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd go for crappy monitors over headphones no matter how great the cans are. The ATH M50's are decent for checking the bass in the mix, but like any headphones they lie on imaging and levels. I use mine for an alternative check on the mix against my monitors. If I can get the mix to sound the same on the cans as the monitors it'll translate. I'd never trust them to mix on though.

The RP5's are OK to start on, but you'll want to upgrade for sure. The HS50's are harsh, but translate well. Don't go to your local store to try them out thinking they are going to sound good...they don't. But if you can hear details in music you are familiar with you didn't before, then buy them. Same goes for any other monitor. They aren't for enjoying music more than they are tools to create with. If you can swing it (or find used) the Yamaha MSP5 would be a great starting point too.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
I'd go for crappy monitors over headphones no matter how great the cans are. The ATH M50's are decent for checking the bass in the mix, but like any headphones they lie on imaging and levels. I use mine for an alternative check on the mix against my monitors. If I can get the mix to sound the same on the cans as the monitors it'll translate. I'd never trust them to mix on though.

The RP5's are OK to start on, but you'll want to upgrade for sure. The HS50's are harsh, but translate well. Don't go to your local store to try them out thinking they are going to sound good...they don't. But if you can hear details in music you are familiar with you didn't before, then buy them. Same goes for any other monitor. They aren't for enjoying music more than they are tools to create with. If you can swing it (or find used) the Yamaha MSP5 would be a great starting point too.
No doubt.
The Yamaha's are a little out of my price range.
What do mean the HS50's are harsh? You think they're a better investment than those KRKs? Those aren't the RP5s - they're some special edition product. It has a larger frequency range and a larger woofer. Musiciansfriend has 'em on sale for $150 a piece.
The specs on the KRK look a little nicer than the HS50s.
Check the link I posted again.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

The specs on just about any monitors are laughable...especially KRK's.

If you bought a pair of RP5's for $300, and try to sell them the next day you may get $180-200 tops. Their resale is awful. Krk used to be a good company, they now are all Made in China with poor product support.

The Yamaha's will hold their value, and are better in general. If you want to look at KRK's, check out the series 1 V6's or V8's. They were made in the USA with Focal drivers. You'll get a lot more monitor for the money.

I absolutely hated low frequency translation issues with the RP5's; in fact I upgraded in 4-5 months I hated them so much. Some people like them, I can't figure out why. You CAN mix on them, but it takes a long time to work out mixes with a smeared resolution.

These are what I'm talking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KRK-V8-Series-2-...item20b5fbbb9c
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
The specs on just about any monitors are laughable...especially KRK's.

If you bought a pair of RP5's for $300, and try to sell them the next day you may get $180-200 tops. Their resale is awful. Krk used to be a good company, they now are all Made in China with poor product support.

The Yamaha's will hold their value, and are better in general. If you want to look at KRK's, check out the series 1 V6's or V8's. They were made in the USA with Focal drivers. You'll get a lot more monitor for the money.

I absolutely hated low frequency translation issues with the RP5's; in fact I upgraded in 4-5 months I hated them so much. Some people like them, I can't figure out why. You CAN mix on them, but it takes a long time to work out mixes with a smeared resolution.
Hmm. Well thanks - I definitely want to check both of them out.
I'm certainly not married to KRK. I don't know much about them to begin with.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
Alesis Active MKIIs

My first pair of monitors. Good value considering your budget...something like $199 for a pair? They may be discontinued...not sure, but I recently saw a used pair go on ebay for $110.
Old 23rd December 2010

Wharfedale 8.1 Diamond Pro Active
Old 23rd December 2010

[flamesuit on]

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/321846-REG/Behringer_B2030A_TRUTH_B2030A_Active_2_Way.html

THE only truly great product from Herr B & A.G. I've come across.

[running for my life now]
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
The KRKs are pretty good....my home studio is in movement at the moment...now in the garage, i'm using Edirol MA15Ds that i got on sale new for about half their usual price....they go alright for some cheapies...far better than headphones...once i treat the room a little i'll be moving into some ADAM A5s or something though...The KRK RP5s are hard to be for the price though.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm a hobbyist too. I have my rig in an untreated 11x12 bedroom. Since I'm a broke-ass guy most of the time, I picked up a pair of JBL 4208's for $100 and a clean Hafler P3000 for $200 on Craigslist. Nice clean combo for cheap. I use them for tracking primarily. I wouldn't mix anything in an untreated room.

If I had it to do over again I might go with a pair of HS50M's used at the same price point.
Old 23rd December 2010
What size is your room?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search