The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CLA bus comp Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

CLA bus comp

What's the word on the street besides the occasional red3 coloration? Which shadow hills unit had that man been abusing? I think most people's initial instinct including mine would be "SSL!" because of the board, but I saw his Greenday recall vid on YouTube and it looks like the fairydust is off.. It appears shadow hills all the way
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
I was doing some reading up on him last night when gearslutz was down. As far as I could find out he mixes into a ssl comp with a low setting of 2, with a pultec eq on the master buss which I wouldn't have thought....the objective here is if the comp on the master buss starts pumping during mixing you have gone to far and need to back it off. No Idea what the setting are flipped to in the end. Another one I read was the heavy bass possibly being taken from some subs miced and placed back in. Lots of info on google, but the SSL E channel along with all those awesome analog pieces we know, skill and tricks probably have more to do with it than the comp itself.

I do suspect some shadow hill though as I see them in lots of pics with him and have heard him talk about it. I've heard the shadow comps related back to the green day album a lot.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Yea.. I read that too. I do that myself sometimes. Well I would have thought it was the bus compressor and used to think that depending on what material of his I was listening to, but in that video it's off and that shadow hills looks like its moving 1-2 db. I'd like to know what shadow hills comp that is because im not too familiar with the product line

I've always envisioned his pultecs either very slightly boosting the low end or trickin' (slightly boosting and attenuating the same db on the same freq)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search