The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 2 Channel AD/DA. Period.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Best 2 Channel AD/DA. Period.

Hi folks

I am looking at improving on my RME FF800.

The options are:
1. Burl B2
2. Cranesong Hedd
3. Lavry
4. Prism
5. UA 2192

I feel the Apogees and Lynx are similar to the Fireface. I use Cubase 5 and PT9.

I would love to thoughts and recommendations on a 2 Ch AD/DA. Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Hi folks

The options are:
1. Burl B2
2. Cranesong Hedd
3. Lavry
4. Prism
5. UA 2192

I feel the Apogees and Lynx are similar to the Fireface. I use Cubase 5 and PT9.

depends on what sound you are looking for, Prism and Lavry are very realistic.......... burl , Hedd and 2192 are colored. Hedd is cleaner without processing engaged obviosuly. for the money? 2192 is by far the best bang for the buck - $1800-$2000 on the used market its a no brainer if you want phattness. Also 2192 has great features. But if you want clean and transparent the higher end converters you mentioned are a step up and the way to go.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I like ice cream, what's the best flavor? heh Seriously, there really is no direct answer to this---only opinions, including my own. Personally, I'm an Apogee guy and if you ask me I'm going to say Apogee. Does that mean it's the best? No, not at all---but it's my preference of what I like.
Old 23rd December 2010
Motown legend

Broadcast converters are often an outstanding value:

If you are in Europe: Lake People

In the U.S.: Benchmark Media
Old 23rd December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

"The best" AD/DA (Lavry Gold) will cost you over $14,000. I don't know if you can afford "the best", and I don't think you realize just how (un)important the "improvement" is.
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Hi folks

The options are:
1. Burl B2
2. Cranesong Hedd
3. Lavry
4. Prism
5. UA 2192

Why do you dislike the RME unit?
Old 23rd December 2010
I can't say which is best, period. I can say that Burl B2 is my favorite.

Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks folks. I will check out the links etc. I appreciate it.
I tried the Burl along side the RME and there is a difference. I tried it on 44.1 and there was a decent amount of analog warmth associated with it.

I would like to know how the HEDD and UA stand against the B2 in terms of color.

I feel the RME is just a little bright. I do mostly pop and most of it's vocals. The remaining is done mostly ITB. With the vocals, I typically use the Sony C800G/Manley Ref C => 1073DPA => CL1B (with some added API5500 thrown in there). However, I am noticing I am generally getting a brighter sound and I guess it's starting to bother me. I guess ideally, it would be cool to have the RME and something like a B2 for that bullet proof vocal chain so I can happilly send it off for mixing etc. I can't afford 14K but perhaps around 5K for both or 3K each.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
I like ice cream, what's the best flavor? heh Seriously, there really is no direct answer to this---only opinions, including my own. Personally, I'm an Apogee guy and if you ask me I'm going to say Apogee. Does that mean it's the best? No, not at all---but it's my preference of what I like.
I see your point. Thanks. However, its like asking, what car is best to get on the Grand Prix circuit. Well, I can definitely get on a Toyota or a Beetle. They both get me there. However, a Bentley may get me there too, but may not in time. A Ferrari or Porsche would get me there, (provided I know how to drive them and can ofcourse afford them) and would get me there quicker and 'in style'. Its all about choices but obviously some choices are better than others right?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Agreed. There is no best. There are only preferences, especially if you want to spend $$$$ for converter. I prefer transparent ones to colored ones, but it is also just my preference.

And more importantly, if you can't tell the difference between them yourself, it's absolutely meaningless to spend $$$$ for the converter. There are a lot of comparison files on the net, and I think many of them are valid test.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
I've come to the conclusion that converters are over-rated...
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
I would like to know how the HEDD and UA stand against the B2 in terms of color.
IMO the HEDD has very different color than the B2. HEDD sounds like just what it is; a high quality clean ADC with a really nice digital tape simulator attached. The Burl sounds like what it is; great transformers and robust class A electronics. 2192 sounds like a mini-Burl; somewhat similar vibe, but less of it (no transformers). All 3 are great. If you can, you should get demo's of them and compare for yourself. Although the UA is discontinued... which might be a good reason to avoid it anyway.

Old 23rd December 2010
If I won the lotto I'd have a lot of Weiss in the rack. But Crane Song and Mytek are great for more transparent vibe.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Broadcast converters are often an outstanding value:

If you are in Europe: Lake People

In the U.S.: Benchmark Media
Yep, love Benchmark really good stuff. Although RME makes very nice sounding converters and their drivers are extremely well written and stable. RME is a good choice for those recording in a Windows pc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search