The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD SSL E Series Channel Strip Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

UAD SSL E Series Channel Strip

I posted last week about how I (still) have $150 in credit to spend at the UAD store after buying the Studer A800 plug (here the sound demos/examples here). Several people suggested the SSL E Series channel strip. Has anyone used it? There aren't any demos or anything that I can find. I get the feeling people are suggesting it based on the 4k plug and/or the actual SSL channel strip.

I record instrumental, solo guitar pieces - both acoustic and electric - through a Chandler LTD-1 and an Aurora Audio GTQ2. I print EQ going in. I also have the Studer A800 tape and I ride that ####ing input hard so it really gets hot and compressed.

Worth it for me, or should I pass? I'm stressing.
Old 23rd December 2010
The only way for you to really make an accurate decision is to demo it.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Wait - what website is this again? Is this "Tell the guy to shut up and demo it" or is this gearslutz?

heh

j/k, musicianof1

Kinda..............................................

Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I love it! However, I tend to prefer the Neve EQ's for most things. However, if I want an EQ that I can do just about anything with quickly I either go to the SSL, or the Cambridge. Both are excellent for a wide variety of things. Try the Demo as suggested. It costs nothing to try.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks to both of you for the replies

I don't know how familiar you are with LTD-1 or the GTQ2 but they are Neve-ish with a few tweals. maybe I shoul just go w/ the Neve CS and be done.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
Thanks to both of you for the replies

I don't know how familiar you are with LTD-1 or the GTQ2 but they are Neve-ish with a few tweals. maybe I shoul just go w/ the Neve CS and be done.
Sorry... I should clarify. Though I own the the Neve Channel strip, it's really one of my least favorite of the UA plugs. I meant the 1081, 31102 and 1073 EQ's. I like the SSL EQ much better than the Neve Channel Strip... and like the SSL EQ better than the Neve EQ it was modeled after. The older Neve EQ's were a totally different beast imho.

And yes... I have owned both LTD-1 and GTQ2... and many others... lol.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

You, sir, are the man I've been dreaming of. I swoon for you

Wait - back on topic... I'll do the demo then.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
This is based directly on hearsay of course, as i haven't had the chance to try the SSL or Neve stuff on my UAD card, since its UAD1 (will upgrade in due time), however the impression i get is the SSL stuff is alright, but the Neve stuff is where the actions at...i've used the Waves SSL E channel strip, and the guy i talk to about all of this prefer's the Waves SSL over the UAD, but the UAD Neve over everything else...

If you're itching on a channel strip though, it can't hurt to try the SSL one, just demo it and see how it goes. If you haven't got it already, maybe also try the UAD Fairchild, it has this real knack of gluing things together...
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Honestly I probably use and like the eq on the SSL more than the Neve Channel Strip...but I probably use the Neve EQ's more than both those combined. I'm not big on the compressors on the SSL and the Neve channel strips honestly.

List your UAD plugins and I will give you my suggestion of what I would get...I have all of them and use them.
cam
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks, Cam - I record solo, instrumental acoustic and electric guitar and here's my list of current plugs:
  • 1176LN
  • 1176SE
  • CS-1 LA2A
  • Pultec EQP-1A
  • RealVerb-Pro
Other gear/software:
  • Chandler LTD-1
  • Aurora GTQ2
  • Waves Silver bundle so I'm covered on a convolution reverb
I've been considering the EMT 140/250 reverb but I have the Waves convolution and then SuperTaps and love them both so much already.

The only UAD plug that I've committed to buy thus far is the Studer A800 (check out the UAD Studer A800 sound test I did). In another thread, I had asked about what to spend the remaining $150 credit I had on.
Since I have the Studer *and* I record solo, instrumental acoustic/electric guitar, I think I'm safe for now skipping a compressor.

I also print the EQ going in so having extra things to twiddle in the DAW is helpful, yes, but more as a corrective thing than anything.

People suggested mainly three things to me: The EMT 140, SSL channel strip, Neve channel strip. I'm great on reverbs now but will add the EMT 140 still, I think. Between the SuperTaps delay and the IR-L convolution reverb in Waves, I'm almost always able to add great space around the guitar.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

First off, obviously try things out for yourself. I know you don't like that answer but everybody feels things differently but you are wanting opinions so here's mine...

On guitar specifically, I actually love the SSL channel strip. It just seems to do the right things on guitar which is what you want it for mainly and UAD just upgraded it making it a little more versatile with the brown button addition. You already have the 1176 which is also great for pushing the guitar sound a little harder. Real-verb and the CS-1 actually are decent so don't discount them either...occasionally they are perfect. From left field maybe, but the Roland Dimension D is occasionally just perfect on guitars especially stereo acoustic guitar. It spreads the stereo field out wider and the chorus can be pretty subtle and great for anything in the background. The UAD plugin I use on nearly every project though is the SSL buss comp...it's just great for glue on the master buss. For a cheaper alternative, I've heard "The Glue" by Cytomic is awesome and mostly comparable but some say better ($99).

Compression is what makes the UAD card better than anything else in my opinion. The UAD Eq's are great but I could do everything with the Harrison if I had to really (although the MP is very impressive)...the compressors are the best. Having the LA2A, LA3A, Fairchild, 33609 and the 1176 are awesome. It's weird...on mixes they really do work differently and grab certain things in the spectrum differently. I used a 33609 on a mix the other day and it grabbed the guitars and brought them down in the mix but brought up the drums and gave them a bit of snap which worked great. The LA3A has a similar feel to the LA2A but it seems to keep the highs in tact (great for acoustic sometimes) and seems a touch clearer in the lows. The LA2A isn't usually great on guitars but works great on vocals. The Fairchild, while it's not my favorite, sometimes is dead on perfect for acoustic guitars.

To sum up in order:
SSL Channel Strip
Roland Dimension D (if you ever use chorus at all)
SSL Buss Comp (Or Cytomic "The Glue")
LA3A
Fairchild
Try out the rest because they are all great

Remember that Universal Audio will reset your trials if you call them and ask them to also. I started a trial on something and ended up not getting to try it and called them up and they reset all the trials on my card no problem. I don't know how many times they will do it but I imagine as long as you don't take advantage they'll be cool.
Good Luck,
cam
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Thank you for taking the time, Cam - very cool of you. I'll do trials of the Roland and the SSL then and check them out. We're doing a bunch of mic tests on acoustic guitar this afternoon - have a bunch of good options to play around with: Gefell M300 SMP, Oktava MK-012 w/ MJ mods, AT4050, Rode K2, and some others that I'm sure I can't remember. I'll play around with the chorus effect on the Roland plug - sounds interesting.

I'll be sure to post back with either thoughts or even a few sound samples in case anyone is interested.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search