The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
small cap on vocals Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

small cap on vocals

just throwing it out there for fellow sluts, i did a shoot out with a singer with a couple of mics at my new studio yesterday. i've recorded him before with everything from a u47, vintage u87, korby with multiple caps, sm7, 58, r84. i used a small cap tube condenser that my partner made modified from an mxl (don't even know the model number off hand) and it's the best sound i've ever gotten from his voice.

just saying sometimes your judgment of what mic will work best for the job is completely wrong.

anybody else have good results with small caps on vocals?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

I told you so. lol
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

pope, seriously have always had problems getting the enunciation of his voice and that was was perfect. going to remeber that for future sessions.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

I can't tell you how many times in a mix I end up hi pass filtering a lead vocal at 100hz and pulling like 10dB with a low shelf at 300hz out, and pulling out MORE 250hz. And almost all of those problems go away when you use a small cap. I'd be scared of revealing my secret but I know that nobody will believe us anyways.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
Slight change of subject, but I tried a tube SDC on a guitar cab last week and was pleasantly surprised.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Of course. I've liked SM80 omni and (modded) SM81 on voice. Also the AT 4050 and it's got a 1" capsule which is smaller (and more neutral) than many LDCs. Hard to knock good clean sound when you are recording something worth recording.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
Slight change of subject, but I tried a tube SDC on a guitar cab last week and was pleasantly surprised.
Yeah, and the SM80 omni is pretty much foolproof on getting the sound of a guitar or bass amp, provided it sounds good in the room.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

It was done a lot in the past in smaller studio's. I know that most vocal overdubs done in the studio of the jamaican producer/engineer King Tubby (aka Osbourne Ruddock) in Jamaica were done with a AKG C460 in combo with an SM57. This means a big part of the late 70's and early 80's roots reggae was done like that. (a lot of Bunny Lee/King Tubby/Augustus Pablo/Prince Jammy/Channel 1/... productions to specify)

I also did it with succes with diferent mics (Oktava MK012, Gefell M300, Neumann KM150, ...) but always blend with a dynamic wich works wonderwell.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

i like the idea of blending with a dynamic, thanks for the tip. he actually sounds pretty good through an sm7 but doesn't get the high end clarity. will definitely try that next time.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

MK-012 (w/Joly PE mod) with the omni cap amp'd by an EH 12AY7 pre
+ windscreen and pop filter

All day babe.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

not a bad chain at all
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

bump for the sake of the other thread
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedesound View Post
bump for the sake of the other thread
Not a bad album title, IMO.

Cheers,

Otto

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search