The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Name some examples of songs that mix 'real' instruments with simple drum loops?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Name some examples of songs that mix 'real' instruments with simple drum loops?

I'm looking for some inspiration here. I don't have a drummer, and I kind of suck at drum programming. So I'm hoping to be inspired by some songs that still used drum loops but layered real instruments and singing on top.

But I'm kind of at a loss to name any other than Portishead or something.

Anybody got some favs?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

interesting
Old 23rd December 2010
wicked game by chris isaaks

Classic Tracks: Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game"

Quote:
“I'd been doing stuff with the early Eventide H3000s and other boxes,” Needham recalls. “Sampling was still in a primitive state, but we were making loops using samples and triggering them off MIDI.

For ‘Wicked Game,’ the samples came from various 24-track outtake versions that we were never really happy with. We'd take six or seven different brush patterns and make loop patterns we could trigger off a MIDI note.”
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
I'm looking for some inspiration here. I don't have a drummer, and I kind of suck at drum programming. So I'm hoping to be inspired by some songs that still used drum loops but layered real instruments and singing on top.

But I'm kind of at a loss to name any other than Portishead or something.

Anybody got some favs?
have you thought about EZ drummer using midi loops - might get better results than you expect... same with Superior, BFD, Slate, Abbey Road 60's, etc - the new crop of midi loop driven drum software is pretty damn good - better than old school audio loops if for no other reason than that the midi loops are editable for fills and such...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search