The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will an external clock help ? Turntables
Old 22nd December 2010
Will an external clock help ?

So I am currently running an echo Audiofire 12 and while the converters are very rock solid every once in a while on a realtime render i will get a pop or click. This leaves something desired on the clocking. Any suggestions on a decent clock in the sub 1200 range ?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

How do you know its the clock and not the buffer settings?
Old 22nd December 2010
because every buffer setting has been used or experimented with. Just my next conclusion i guess
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

What DAW software and computer are you using to "realtime render" and are you talking about exporting a mixdown of tracks to a stereo mix bus to MP3 or something and you hear pops and clicks when you play that back?
Or are you talking about just playing back the mix in realtime to monitors or headphones when you hear the pops and clicks before export?
Also...do you hear pops and clicks on any individual recorded track?

I'm just asking these questions before you spend $1200 on a word clock....
Old 22nd December 2010
We are talking real time render to a 44.1 wave at 16 bits from 96k 24bit session. I am using a custom built PC with a 1055t AMD phenom 2 6 core processor and 8 gigs of ram. I am only using about 15 percent of my cpu when running 40 + tracks and at least 15 hardware units as inserts in Reaper. Oh and My firewire buss is A TI chipset recomended by ECHO
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyjneilson View Post
So I am currently running an echo Audiofire 12 and while the converters are very rock solid every once in a while on a realtime render i will get a pop or click. This leaves something desired on the clocking. Any suggestions on a decent clock in the sub 1200 range ?
this doesn't sound like a clocking issue to me.
Old 22nd December 2010
Oh and I use only mogami and canare quad for my cable. I have to realtime render due to running my compressors and eq's as realinserts in my DAW. It is not a be all end all problem though. It only happens occasionally but I would really like it to stop
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Is it possible the computer stream during rendering is being interrupted by something running in the background...?
Can you monitor this while it's recording and hear the pops and clicks?
Or only after it's done and you play it back?
Old 23rd December 2010
Pops and clicks not present on playback and never when recording. Only on the real time render.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyjneilson View Post
Pops and clicks not present on playback and never when recording. Only on the real time render.

If this doesn't happen when recording it shouldn't be your A/D??
and if it's not happening during playback it shouldn't be your D/A??
So this must be a problem in the render process?? Reaper?
Or something in Reaper or the computer that's happening during rendering the wav?
Does this happen with smaller track counts and hardware inserts?
Is it possible to reduce 40+ tracks to subgroups first and then try rendering the final wav from say 4 subgroups?
Old 23rd December 2010
will do thanks
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

What's your hard drive situation? Could be that your drive can't keep up.... are you rendering to a separate drive? Is all of this stored on your boot drive?
Old 23rd December 2010
hardrives are as follows. Project/sessions (external) rendered file/wave on stored drive.
Old 23rd December 2010

external clocks help just ask this guy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search