The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pre-release review Mohog 1073Prex2 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Pre-release review Mohog 1073Prex2

Got my hands on a prototype from Mohog Audio, its a 1073 stylee 2 channel preamp...first impressions:

Incredibly clean, lots of boost, quiet as a church mouse.
Plenty of gain to color if you like that sound. I have the MoFet76 Limiting Amplifier (1176 comp), and both units are built like tanks and incredibly cool with the wood face (there's actually a metal faceplate the wood is laminated to) and led lite VU's (VU's are standard but you can choose what color to light 'em up with led selection).

This is definitely a go to pre for vox and anything you need to boost and especially if you like to push the input to get some color.

I have a 1272 in rack to compare this to, both are based on N*E*V*E* schema's and frankly this unit has more gain and is quieter by half, which is really kinda the opposite of what I'd expect.

Brandon solders everything by hand and uses only top quality audio components, this unit came with a switchable output transformer which I found rather pointless and from talking to Brandon he is suggesting he will eliminate it in the release version and opt for a line in instead, which I think is much more usable.

Straight up Carnhills, VU switchable to show how much you're affecting the signal, phase, 48v, HI/Lo really quite versatile for a 1073 its got all the options and the build quality is incredible for a prototype.

I don't know what final pricing is but I think it will come in 2 and 4 channel rack mount versions, when discussing price with Brandon he wants to keep it affordable so I know it will be reasonable.

Brandons attention to detail and customer service have always been top shelf...

I think it comes out first quarter 2011...

Last edited by iomegaman; 22nd December 2010 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: vu correction

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search