The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question about displays
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Question about displays

I'm using a couple of Dell u2711s and while I think they have a great high res display I'm finding they are killing my eyes. The brightness is down to 10 and the fonts are so small that I'm squinting. Maybe I'm back too far (3ft-ish)?

I know I can resize certain web pages and OS settings but not so much apps. Do all all High res displays (2560x1440) do this? Does the Apple Cinema Display look tiny, bright and cause eye strain?

If anyone has settings or a link on how to calibrate in a way they find suitable please advise. Thanks.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

In Windows you right-click on a blank part of the desktop and select Properties to set this stuff. Or get to it through Control Panel ... Display.

--Ethan
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Just want to add that I always listen to my mixes with the display turned off, I always find it amazing the number of people in my studio that can stare at a cursor moving left to right across a screen and make judgements, like they are watching inception with no sound! Obviously you can't mix without a screen but the final listen is in a dark/ambient light room.

It is Worthwhile checking what your graphics card is doing and your monitor capabilities!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

@spidernook how old are you if I may ask?
A lot of us, ahem, older folks are complaining about this very problem as our eyesight weakens. Some younger ones are complaining as well.

The problem is LCD are designed to work best at their native resolution, unlike CRT which work well with all resolutions within their spec.

When you go outside the native resolution for an LCD things start to look fuzzy.

If you are using Windows 7, change the fonts to 125 percent and see if it looks better.
Some programs may have cut off text and stuff though.

The real problem is the DAW software companies that make the text and fonts minuscule and since they don't scale, you are pretty much stuck with it.

Kontakt is by far the worst.

One last thing is that the Mac programs in general seem to look much clearer and sharper IMHO.
Not sure why though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search