The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When my MOTU 828 is not connected... Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

When my MOTU 828 is not connected...

Hello,

I use a MOTU 828 MK2 firewire with my laptop PC. Successfully ! It works great!

But when I go away from studio with my laptop, each time I launch an audio application , it gives this error message :

Do you know a way in order to solve this problem ?

* (Without having to uninstall the MOTU drivers each time I leave the studio)
* I have configured the internal soundcard of the laptop PC as default soundcard in Soundforge, but it remains the same!

Thanks in advance
jebb
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

without knowing your system or os try:

goto start>run>type msconfig>click on startup>uncheck motu (if there)>reboot and select ok on the prompt when rebooted so it doesn't come up again every time you reboot.

g
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

I use WinXP SP2. No, there is nothing in the registry (/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/ etc.) about MOTU.

I think the problem is that Soundforge sees the MOTU driver in the ASIO soundcards list, so Soundforge tries to have access to this card...
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebb View Post
I use WinXP SP2. No, there is nothing in the registry (/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/ etc.) about MOTU.

I think the problem is that Soundforge sees the MOTU driver in the ASIO soundcards list, so Soundforge tries to have access to this card...
Bingo... it's probably your audio software looking for the last-known hw configuration, which would be the MOTU, so when you launch it, it's trying to access the hardware interface so it can function. Try going into your audio host (Soundforge, what have you) and change the audio hardware device to the on-board sound card when you're out and about.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

this isn't a registry listing, it's a start up item. i know on the mac the audio and track assignment start on boot even without the I/O connected because of the firewire card (not sure how the 828 interfaces)so the steps i listed click start>select run>type in msconfig>select startup deselect motu setup (or whatever it's called) not (/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/ etc.) tell the computer to not run the app and ignore the card. these are the same steps taken if you wanted to remove any app from starting up upon booting your computer.

g
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I get the same thing with Cubase and my Motu. Usually I use the Motu, sometimes I just want to check something really quick and rather just use my onboard sound and the regular speakers.

Next time you have your program up, and before you save, switch your audio driver in the program to be the driver from your onboard soundcard, then save it and close. Next time when you open the file it should be set to use the onboard sound driver and never look for the motu, and hopefully when you just open the program it will also just default to the onboard sound as it was the last one used.

It works for me with Cubase. Then again, anytime I do get the error I just hit ok and let it load, maybe have to spend 10 seconds to go and switch the audio driver within cubase, but thats not a big deal to me.

Sometimes I have a moment. Regular speakers are off, I turn on the motu and my monitors are on, hit play and hear nothing. A whole mess of problems run through my head and then "Oh yeah, need to switch the driver over." *Click click click* "Ah, theres the sound."
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Hello Jerrick,
Do you have Soundforge in order to do a small test , if it does the same for you ?

The problem is not about the "last soundcard used with Soundforge" : even if I use 136 times Soundforge with the internal soundcard, the 137th time I run Soundforge, Soundforge will speak about MOTU

[ Even when I had never launched Soundforge while MOTU connected since I installed Soundforge, the problem was the same ]

Is it possible to totally disable ASIO from Soundforge ?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search