The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$69 Schoepes Attenuator vs. $15 ebay pad Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

$69 Schoepes Attenuator vs. $15 ebay pad

Hello,

I've been reading up on the $69 Schoepes
MDZ 20 Inline Attenuators,

Does anyone know anything about these? worth the money? or, would I be better off just buying the cheapest ones, off ebay?

Schoeps MDZ 20 Inline Attenuator MDZ 20 U B&H Photo Video

Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Neither. There's really not much to an attenuator, so no reason to spend lots of $$.

Get this instead: Naiant - Inline Devices

I've got several and they are great. I've contacted the builder and he uses well spec'd metal film resistors.

You can find more info about his products on GS if you search under "naiant".

- Jim
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

on naint

Thanks for your advice jimbo.

I have no experience with either brand's verson of attenuators.

The naints make me feel nervous, but only cause they look a bit cheap almost dangerous. But i've never seen em in action.

I about to sound cliche, but Schoepes makes great products it be worth it the clarity. but maybe pads don't matter that much, i don't know.

I love the seenhiesers and schoepes mics though! like everyone.

Anybody else have a

FAVORITE PAD?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, the ones that I've made by myself out of 12$ Amphenol drums. Three resistors and a soldering iron is all it takes. I'd explained how it is done in one of the threads here somewhere. Look up for it.

B.
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

a manly solution

I have no sodering iron. It'd be cheaper for me just to buy something.

Explain though for other members, it sounds interesting.

as of now, i've learned that the the naint x-q's are well regarded for the price. But I can't find anything about how they make pads or preamps.

I'm still going through the forums though.

maybe the, do it your selfs, are the best bet. I'll try to borrow a sodering iron and not burn my house down.
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

final choice

musicians and filmmakers say, for attenuators, there's no better or smoother than the schoeps. I'm trying em out.

check out this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...connected.html
Old 22nd December 2010
FWIW, I tried several in-line attenuators in a search for one that would not make things sound smaller. Unfortunately, all of them change the sound for the worse somewhat. I bought the Schoeps, Shure, Audio-Technica, Pro Co, and had D.W. Fearn custom build me a 20dB inline pad. Surprisingly, the Schoeps sounded the worst by far, losing bottom and top end. The Fearn sounds the most "natural", and gets the most use. The AT and Pro Co are pretty good, and I still use them. This is just my experience with my U67 and my vintage tube pre's (RCA OP-6 and Ampex 350). YMMV.

Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

The A-Designs ATTY box is nice too. If you don't need the accuracy of a XdB pad. My only complaint with it is when you get down low in the sweep, it gets a little off from channel to channel.

A Designs Audio - Atty Passive Stereo Level Control
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

You can't beat a custom pad made specifically for a particular mic and a mic pre, calculations of which are based on their respective actual impedances.

B.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search