The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundcraft 800b vx Tascam M 3700
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Soundcraft 800b vx Tascam M 3700

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and looking to upgrade my studio, I am currently running a combination of outboard Pre's - 2 x SSL VHD's and Universal Audio La-610's as well as a Focusrite Octopre (via ADAT) into a PT 9 System using an M-Audio Projectmix I/O

I am looking to take my studio to the next level (potentially rebuilding a bigger control room) and want an Analogue console with EQ to track through into tools with my existing outboard. I will not (at this stage) be mixing on the console.

I have been looking at 2 x consoles

Soundcraft 800b - Selling for $1500
Tascam m 3700 - Selling for $1650

Would either of these be suitable (I have a budget up to $3500) for my requirements? Are either a worthy studio investment.

Your help is much appreciated.

Antonio Hanna
Music Producer
Freefall Studios
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

3700 looks great, which can be a plus. The preamps sound better than the master section or the channel strips to me. But I recently replaced mine with a Mackie 1640i. It sounds better and now I have some space.

-Kirk
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks Kirk,

At the moment I am leaning more towards the Soundcraft as I have seen quite a few threads regarding mods that are possible and the ability to develop the console as my needs grow (i.e. Start with it stock, mod a few channels in a few months etc..) also the Soundcraft (so I'm told) will be the "larger" sounding console. - Price works too at $1500.

I also saw a D&R Dayner console here on the forums for around $2700 however although I can see a lot of supporting information, I do not need a 32 channel 8 bus console at this stage...

Tearing my hair out on this one and wanting to move quickly , would hate to miss out on the SC by a week only to find out that it would have been exactly what I needed!

Once again any advise from someone who has used any of these consoles
Soundcraft 800b
Tascam m 3700
D&R Dayner
would be great!

Much Appreciated!

-Antonio Hanna
Music Producer
Freefall Studios
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
If you are gonna eventually end up mixing on the desk,money permitting I'd go with the Dayner.Better to have too many channels, than not enough..heh..Plus sonically I think the Dayner will be more " open" sounding than the Tascam/Soundcraft ( coming from a one time Tascam owner)..Good luck..
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
If you are gonna eventually end up mixing on the desk,money permitting I'd go with the Dayner.Better to have too many channels, than not enough..heh..Plus sonically I think the Dayner will be more " open" sounding than the Tascam/Soundcraft ( coming from a one time Tascam owner)..Good luck..
Thanks for the advise Snatchman thumbsup I completely understand that it would be too easy to fall into the "fix it for now" trap, that said, I do have access and the ability to ship any Outside-The-Box mixing over to one of my favorite producers studios which houses an 56 Channel SSL E-Series console for a very exceptional rate! So mixing on the Soundcraft/Dayner for example is not likely to be the better option anyway (that said owning the bigger console certainly wouldn't hurt)

What I really am looking for is more color to tape.

My logic is that for $1200-$1500 im not going to find 10-14 Good Pre's with EQ to replace the colorless Focusrite Octopre and M-Audio Pre's that take on everything that my SSL VHD pres and UA La-610 cant handle (i.e. the rest of the drum kit)

Still unsure...
Leaning toward the SC. Will keep checking back to see what develops!

Thank you all again for your Feedback / Support / Advise!

-Antonio
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

That Tascam board looks good, but it really isn't the best sounding. And they do have noise issues without the proper grounding mods.

I would ask Jim Williams about the Soundcraft board to see if is a good one to work on. He loves to mod them and can make them sound real good!
Old 25th December 2010
I have two tascam m3500s side by side with their busses feeding a neve 8816 for a majority of the summing. I use them to A: look freakin amazing and B: provide a cheaper all at one time, old school, all otb, no recall mixing solution. For higher quality and recall instead I just don't use them and use the neve direct on tracks I've re-recorded through the outboard. It's just way more time consuming. The re-recording way takes me about 7-8 hrs for a mix, the all board and inserts old school way takes me 2-3 hours. No recall sucks but I print a few versions with the main alternate options. Basically this lets me offer mixes that still IMO sound superior to ITB on the cheap.

I have their end caps off and definitely they definitely have the vibe of looking like one massive console. They both have the full meter bridge which together looks like it goes on for miles. I also have a us2400 24 fader daw controller on a slide out shelf right under the center, it's like a giant bround and beige tascam shrine. I definitely have to admit the look contributed to me getting the second one, but my system does have 48 analog i/o and I plan on another 24.

About the soundcraft I've talked to Jim Williams before and it's one of the delta series he likes, which though i may be wrong the 800b is not a delta. I know he does modify the tascam though and probably mods the 800b too.
Old 13th April 2011
Gear Head

Hello Antonio,
I am not sure whether you went with the Tascam or The Soundcraft, but I have been using a 800B-24 that I brought back from the dead. I purchased this unit about 10 years ago, not working and cheap. I recapped the unit, repolaced the ribbons , and installed Burr Brown IC in the front end. The board sounds great, nice and full fat analog sound.......Would reccomend it, if you have the time to keep up with the maintainence of a old board ( either one....LOL).....I own a Tascam and Soundcraft authorized repair shop......

Bruce

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search