The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where can I buy studio racks? Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Where can I buy studio racks?

Something like this.. Rack Enclosures: Spire 7140 Series by Argosy Console

But without spending $700!
Need about 14-16 spaces.

Any ideas?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear
Samson SRK-16!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I made mine, got some 21mm ply and got it cut up by a kitchen maker. Got some rails from an audio visual company, screwed it all together and lacquered it up. Didnt take too long and cost me 200 i think.
They would of looked really nice but cabinet maker didnt cut the front at an angle like I wanted so its got straight square fronts.
If your interested in doing it yourself I can send you some pics.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

the samson racks are very very nice for the price

http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/i...uct&id=SASRK21
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

make yourself, for sure
if you only need 15 or so then maybe just buy one, but if you need some more you really have to make them to get any real value out of them

here's some I just finished, around $700 total, maybe a little more, but I'm super happy with them. Hardwood frame, pine sides, redgum top
I just need to paint those hardwood supports and that's it! and fill that horrible space of course

Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Lee, nice rack. I'm planning on building something very similar early next year. Do you have the dimensions/plans written down?
Also, for the pine side panels, how did you get the required width? Did you join pieces of pine together or buy pre-joined panels, or..?

Jonnypowell, I have an Argosy 7141. It does the job, but it's made of mdf and covered in black laminex, so it doesn't look spectacular. Their website says US$295, but I paid at least double that (in AUD) from a local retailer a couple of years ago.

So, I'll be building my next rack rather than buying it. I use Penn-Elcom rack rail, which I source from the USA. The rack screws go straight into this type of rail, unlike the type which Lee used (which uses captive nuts).
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey Johnny, bunnings sells the large pieces of pine for the sides, they're about $40 each. I don't have any plans as I just sort of build it from an idea in my head, but it's extremely basic

I know the width between the vertical panels is 485mm. They're 15RU each which is 670mm, and I was going to put a 90mm ventilation panel at the top, but now I just the open space more. So, the long side where the strips are mounted is 780mm, and the short angle cut on the bottom is 190mm, again for a ventilation panel which I won't be using. Depth at the top is 400, depth at the longest is 600, and depth at the bottom I'm not sure, but it's just whatever it ended up being, so long as the 190mm was met if that makes sense. The top piece of hardwood support (which has now been removed) is 485 of course, and the bottoms were 485 + 19 + 19 (width of the vertical panels) - the vertical panels sit on top (ie, not fixed to the sides of) the bottom framey bit for a better weight rating

reeeallly basic
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi there Lee,

Nice looking rack !
(SSL and API....very nice)

Cheers

John NYMO Nyman
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
the samson racks are very very nice for the price
I think you could do worse for the money than buy, say three of the Samson 16ru racks and get a custom made bit of hardwood like Lee did and fit it across the top of the three, and get a couple of nice side panels for each end. I'm not much of a carpenter myself, but I think this would turn out pretty good! Great rack BTW Lee, nice job!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

thanks, I'm really happy with it,
and what steve suggests is a very decent idea too, probably works out to the same price

If anyone is interested in these hardwood tops, I know a great guy here in Melbourne (Seville) who does them, at about half the price of what the bigger suppliers would charge. I got three quotes at $600 - $700, this guy charged me $280 and he does beautiful work
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Where can I buy studio racks?

Great job lee!! I had 4 built for under 600 in Perth.... I rang a local road case building company and they whipped them up very quickly. I gave them a few pix to work from... Other then that the cheapest is the the Samson.. No other company make cheapies that I can see. Electric factory used to but stopped a year ago or so... Good luck
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

i bought the RU from here Public Address Systems | Portable PA Systems | DJ Equipment & Lighting and built my own too... it's much cheaper.
Old 25th December 2010
Glad I saw this thread, I'm looking for some racking too and it's been a great help heh
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Samson looks great!! gonna get me a few of those I think!

Stef
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search