The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for an X/Y stereo mic mount Signal Splitters (HW)
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut
Looking for an X/Y stereo mic mount

I am looking for an X/Y mount for my stereo pair of Peluso CEMC6 small diaphragm mics. Can anyone recommend a way to mount both of these mics onto 1 mic stand? Thanks so much.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

In 2 or 3 minutes I found these on line...

K & M dual mic holder

A crap load at Sweetwater

Google is your friend
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut
yep.....definitely saw these. although im not sure how they would work for an xy mic config due to the fact that 1 mic needs to be slightly higher than the other. can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut
P.S. What is a google?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have the K&M 23510.
Works fine and does the job.
K&M 23510 Adjustable Stereo Microphone Bar | Sweetwater.com
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut
do you have an adapter to put on one of the mounts to make one of the mics taller than the other?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by socool135 View Post
P.S. What is a google?
One of the rather more used Internet search engines, hence, the suggestion.

It's a play on "googol", a term coined by Milton Sirotta in 1938. He was then the 9-year-old nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasner. A "googol" is the number 10 raised to the 100th power (10**100). Kasner popularized the concept in his book Mathematics and the Imagination. Kasner was basically looking for a simple term to specify a very large number useful as a reference for comparing to other large numbers, like the number of atoms in the universe or the number of possible chess games.

BTW, I highly recommend the mike mount adapters from AEA. Their stuff isn't cheap, but it's excellent. You can save part of the cost by buying a set of three mounts (two for mikes and one for the stand) and then making a bar (or bars) of whatever length you want from 1/4" by 1" aluminum stock. I have a 1 meter bar for big spaced omni pairs and a shorter bar (18" or so) for all coincident and near-coincident setups.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by socool135 View Post
yep.....definitely saw these. although im not sure how they would work for an xy mic config due to the fact that 1 mic needs to be slightly higher than the other. can anyone shed some light on this?
Typically, the mike bar allows you to install the stand adapters that came with the mikes. The bar can be horizontal and the stand mount adapters will allow you to position the two mikes angled with one capsule just over the other. The fact that the mike axes will be slightly out of the horizontal plane due to angling them is usually not a problem.

BTW, for axial mikes like the CEMC6, if all you want to do is XY, the Shure A27M works great. Not necessarily ideal for near-coincident setups, but some of them can be done with that one, depending on the the length of the mikes.

For future reference, with big, side-address mikes you will need a mike bar about 18" long and the ability to mount the bar vertically with one end mounted on a stand. Then you would mount the mikes with the tops of the mike housings nearly touching. The lower one will be mounted with the cable going down, while the upper one will be mounted "upside down", with the cable going up. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofajen View Post
Typically, the mike bar allows you to install the stand adapters that came with the mikes. The bar can be horizontal and the stand mount adapters will allow you to position the two mikes angled with one capsule just over the other. The fact that the mike axes will be slightly out of the horizontal plane due to angling them is usually not a problem.

BTW, for axial mikes like the CEMC6, if all you want to do is XY, the Shure A27M works great. Not necessarily ideal for near-coincident setups, but some of them can be done with that one, depending on the the length of the mikes.

For future reference, with big, side-address mikes you will need a mike bar about 18" long and the ability to mount the bar vertically with one end mounted on a stand. Then you would mount the mikes with the tops of the mike housings nearly touching. The lower one will be mounted with the cable going down, while the upper one will be mounted "upside down", with the cable going up. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Otto
Yeah that's the way I position XY mics on a stereo bar like that... just angle one down slightly and one up slightly so they can overlap. re: the a27, there was a thread somewhere with a cool mod where you could extend the a27 making it a much more versatile beast.... not sure where it was though, sorry. (lost all my bookmarks recently too - I think I had it flagged there )
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

These combined for the other will raise it a bit

Matti
Attached Images
Looking for an X/Y stereo mic mount-cat.jpg Looking for an X/Y stereo mic mount-cat2.jpg 
Old 31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear
Sabra-Som ST-2 - Double Microphone Support ST2 B&H Photo Video

Works really well for me. Offset the blocks by one step on the hex bar. Angle bottom mic up, top mic down. With average size pencil mics the mics will end up parallel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search