The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
computer line out to monitor xlr cables Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict
computer line out to monitor xlr cables

I need help getting my monitors working again.
I keep losing a channel.
I'm pretty sure the problem is junky cables (bad connection at the 1/8"stero plug plugged into the computer).
I have k & h o110 monitors. I need to go from computer line out 1/8" to xlr inputs on the monitors (so 1/8" stereo male to 2 xlr males) . would anybody be able to recommend a good cable manufacturer?? or where to get these cables????
I think the cable I got from GC is junk.
I don't have any faith in the radio shack cables either.
I hooked up my old cheap computer speakers and there is no problem.
no loss of channel.
any replies greatly appreciated.
merry christmas to everyone.
and peace on earth for everyone.
Old 22nd December 2010
I'd recommend getting an audio interface with balanced outputs like the Alesis IO2 or Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. They're not too expensive and your connection will be much more secure, less noise, etc.

Personally I'd never hook up kick-ass monitors like that to a 3.5mm jack out

-Liam
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

redco is a great source for quality / custom / hard-to-find cables.

Check out this article for some insight into properly converting the unbalanced 1/8" jacks to balanced XLR (they won't really be balanced, but you can interface them semi-correctly using just a special cable).

Sound System Interconnection
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict
thanks Adlen. are they hard to figure out how to hook up???
do I have to do any funky configuring??? or do anything with asio4all or whatever?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
I'd recommend getting an audio interface with balanced outputs like the Alesis IO2 or Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. They're not too expensive and your connection will be much more secure, less noise, etc.

Personally I'd never hook up kick-ass monitors like that to a 3.5mm jack out

-Liam
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict
thanks rcb4t2,
I've bought from them before.
I skimmed that article. its very good.
my problem is definitely a bad 1/8" male connection at the computer.
I'm thinking that getting an interface and blowing off that connection is the way to happiness here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
redco is a great source for quality / custom / hard-to-find cables.

Check out this article for some insight into properly converting the unbalanced 1/8" jacks to balanced XLR (they won't really be balanced, but you can interface them semi-correctly using just a special cable).

Sound System Interconnection
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasman View Post
thanks Adlen. are they hard to figure out how to hook up???
do I have to do any funky configuring??? or do anything with asio4all or whatever?????
You shouldn't have any trouble with either of those interfaces, you can set it up in your PC's control panel and there are two jacks on the back for your speakers, then a volume knob on the unit for... well... volume control heh they're easy enough to use

They both have 2 preamps onboard too. From the sounds of things I don't think you're looking for that (are you?) but they're handy to have
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict
I do not need pre-amps. I record out of the box on a yamaha multitrack recorder that has pre-amps. (and I have a pacifica and an art mpa gold.)
I see the alesis is cheaper. do you think that will be good enough for my needs??? or would you recommend the focusrite?? this is a foreign world to me. I have a firewire port on my computer that I've never used. I have tons of usb 2.0 stuff hooked up.
how tough is it to set stuff up in my control panel????

thank you so much for any thoughts.

Quote:
You shouldn't have any trouble with either of those interfaces, you can set it up in your PC's control panel and there are two jacks on the back for your speakers, then a volume knob on the unit for... well... volume control heh they're easy enough to use

They both have 2 preamps onboard too. From the sounds of things I don't think you're looking for that (are you?) but they're handy to have
Old 22nd December 2010
The Alesis will be fine for you, the Focusrite has better preamps that you're not going to use so there's not much point in spending more money.

There is also the Alesis IO2 Express which is a little cheaper, it's only lacking the rugged metal shell and the digital I/O.

It should be pretty easy in the control panel, in the list of connected audio devices you can just select it. It's been a while since I spent any time on Windows so you'll have to excuse me, somebody else will be able to give you far better advice on setting it up heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict
thank you for your generosity in helping me.
peace,
Charlie

Quote:
The Alesis will be fine for you, the Focusrite has better preamps that you're not going to use so there's not much point in spending more money.

There is also the Alesis IO2 Express which is a little cheaper, it's only lacking the rugged metal shell and the digital I/O.

It should be pretty easy in the control panel, in the list of connected audio devices you can just select it. It's been a while since I spent any time on Windows so you'll have to excuse me, somebody else will be able to give you far better advice on setting it up heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Couldn't you run them directly from your multitrack? Or do you still dump to the pc or what? Yeah, many interfaces at low pricepoints that would serve adequately. Depending on budget maybe a little DAC1 or that apogee minidac or whatever it's called...
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict
thanks tons rcb4t2. I ordered cables from redco. that should solve my problem.
I do dump everything to pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
Couldn't you run them directly from your multitrack? Or do you still dump to the pc or what? Yeah, many interfaces at low pricepoints that would serve adequately. Depending on budget maybe a little DAC1 or that apogee minidac or whatever it's called...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search