The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ever notice? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd December 2010
ever notice?

it seems every on-board guitar processor seems to sound like crap?
like you dropped your guitar in a vat of hum and mud?
even after proper shielding?

the emg after burner.....those ebay kits....
Old 22nd December 2010
the emg after burner is pretty much crap.

i can't believe they even used it. I mean I'm not a high end guy at all, but that after burner sucks. i could get way better going outboard from even modest pieces.

i think pedals have a better gain boost then that thing...
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Can't say I have noticed that 'every' one sucks.

The Softube one is pretty awesome and I generally get better mixes using it than using real amps. And it definitely saves money too.

It really depends what style of music you're doing, what kind of sound the guitarist normally goes for, etc. But I'm sold on both Softube (VAR / BAR) and Waves GTR.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
Can't say I have noticed that 'every' one sucks.

The Softube one is pretty awesome and I generally get better mixes using it than using real amps. And it definitely saves money too.

It really depends what style of music you're doing, what kind of sound the guitarist normally goes for, etc. But I'm sold on both Softube (VAR / BAR) and Waves GTR.

i wasn't talking plugs.

i meant the on board effects that actually take the place of a pot in your guitar.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
i wasn't talking plugs.
i meant the on board effects that actually take the place of a pot in your guitar.
Err, I always liked Frank Zappa's sound
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

It's a bit of a sweeping generalisation to say that all mods are crap, isn't it?

It really depends on the quality of the circuit you're dropping in there, and the workmanship. Matt Bellamy has at least one gtr with a built-in ZVex Fuzz Factory, and it sounds fine.

Things like the clapton sig strat, with the active mid-boost sound cool. The Fernandez sustainer system is pretty nice too. And not to mention the Moog guitar......

There are nice-sounding mods out there -- just cos you have a bad experience with one, doesn't mean they're all gonna burn you
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

The ones in guitar pots are generally EQ or gain boosts.

Of course the afterburner sucks, EMGs already have too much gain as it is...why would anyone want more?

I have a guitar with one of those N Tune guitar tuners on the volume pot which activates via a push pull. Seemed like a novelty at first but its been a lifesaver at gigs!

Not exactly an effect but a good mod nevertheless...
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreFuzz View Post
It's a bit of a sweeping generalization to say that all mods are crap, isn't it?

It really depends on the quality of the circuit you're dropping in there, and the workmanship. Matt Bellamy has at least one gtr with a built-in ZVex Fuzz Factory, and it sounds fine.

Things like the clapton sig strat, with the active mid-boost sound cool. The Fernandez sustainer system is pretty nice too. And not to mention the Moog guitar......

There are nice-sounding mods out there -- just cos you have a bad experience with one, doesn't mean they're all gonna burn you

truth.

guess i just had a bad trip with these. i got one of those distortion boards i dunno who made and it didn't fare well either.

I'm kinda thinking I'm sick of battery operated guitars anyways. might just pull the plug on both of them.

the after burner is definitely gone.

wonder how the afterburner would fair in a bass?
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsilent View Post
The ones in guitar pots are generally EQ or gain boosts.

Of course the afterburner sucks, EMGs already have too much gain as it is...why would anyone want more?

i think thats the issue i was having. it just turned to crap when i pulled out the after burner, but it came with the set of pickups, and i got them free from a friend for a guitar i was building 8,000 years ago and finally finished yesterday. so i had to try it.

now i see why he dumped it. but then again, he's looking to dump the set he replaced the emg's with too!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search