The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hard L/R = Anti Phasing for mics ?
Old 22nd January 2006
Lives for gear

Hard L/R = Anti Phasing for mics ?

ANYONE have good pdf papers or links 4 Me.?

I always solo Mic , but I want to stereo the new Piano ...

SO as Long as I = hard Left pan one , and = Hard pan right the other,
both 100 and no center mix with one ,
will that give me the best chance for no Phasing issues, time arrivals, and all related issues with stereo Micing?
... Info or experience? LINKS ? TX.
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Also what are some advantages / disadvantages of Using different mics ,
...for sonic taste, as long as they are volume matched ?

Old 24th January 2006

I had the same question about stereo recording acoustic gtr, and wound up doing a coincident pair... worked very well for picking up the neck, soundhole and pick tones. This ensured good phase coherence with the tracks panned hard L/R on playback/bounce. Panning to centre worked fine too because I monitored the recording in mono

So... far more experienced recordists than me (bedroom demo expert!) would most likely say: "Always check in mono" so there's no hole in the centre of the soundfield. Move the mics around so the overall sound is balanced. That could mean moving the mics further from the strings, so you get more piano-as-an-instrument and less strings... I've seen a few pics with a spaced pair not too far off the soundboard.

And now for the experts:
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

if you want to get anal. put on a pair of cans (headphones) and tweak the mic placement with the signals panned left and right. When the phase is proper the stereo image in the headphones will be balanced (left to right) and full. When the image gets skewed one way (and relative volume isn't an issue) or the other you have phase issues between the sources.
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9
I had the same question about stereo recording acoustic gtr, and wound up doing a coincident pair... worked very well for picking up the neck, soundhole and pick tones. This ensured good phase coherence with the tracks panned hard L/R on playback/bounce. Panning to centre worked fine too because I monitored the recording in mono

And now for the experts:
thumbsup

that is what I found as well, It sounds good ,
I just want to make sure I know the in and out of it more, So i have less chance of screw-up ...

Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy
if you want to get anal. put on a pair of cans (headphones) and tweak the mic placement with the signals panned left and right. When the phase is proper the stereo image in the headphones will be balanced (left to right) and full. When the image gets skewed one way (and relative volume isn't an issue) or the other you have phase issues between the sources.

Good info...
I will keep experimenting with that ,
I guess that even with Hard panned signals, It can still be tricky.!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search