The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sweetwater tour MIDI Processors
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

sweetwater tour

Welcome to the New Sweetwater | Virtual Tour

wow... sweetwater has got a nice new facility. I doubt other retailers would be as willing to show how they run things. I only wish they would replace the guitar center in my town.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Reminds me of an airport.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Holy #$%#% I can barely figure out what you are posting with that signature. Jeez, man
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

I've been to Sweetwater and it's awesome. Their studio is off the chain.
Old 22nd December 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

Too many people wearing ties.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

That company gives me the creeps. Got some kind of Scientology or polygamist vibe going... I can't put my finger on it. Also showing off their gigantic campus is kinda a sign they might be charging too much for the stuff they sell... I mean you're subsidizing their haircuts and racquet ball courts??? When it comes to the MI and pro audio market I personally don't get the whole mail order business model for anything else than say a $50 mic stand. What do they claim is their main selling point: their technical knowledge (with the internet and some time you'll probably know as much or more as any of their salesmen), their prices, after purchase care? I'd much rather deal with a local vendor who I can talk to in person if I want to buy a bigger ticket item. And they'll kill Sweetwater when it comes to prices. But I guess people who don't live in a big city have as many options. YMMV.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbrzkdm007 View Post
That company gives me the creeps. Got some kind of Scientology or polygamist vibe going... I can't put my finger on it.
O M G I was thinking the same thing. The place is amazing but do they have a room where someone look inside an old monitor and reads the word of......
Bum Bum Bummmmmmm

I need to make an appointment with GCPro Brad and get the skinny. Do they have a gun locker? That usually turns into an issue. Just saying......
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
That company gives me the creeps. Got some kind of Scientology or polygamist vibe going... I can't put my finger on it. Also showing off their gigantic campus is kinda a sign they might be charging too much for the stuff they sell... I mean you're subsidizing their haircuts and racquet ball courts??? When it comes to the MI and pro audio market I personally don't get the whole mail order business model for anything else than say a $50 mic stand. What do they claim is their main selling point: their technical knowledge (with the internet and some time you'll probably know as much or more as any of their salesmen), their prices, after purchase care? I'd much rather deal with a local vendor who I can talk to in person if I want to buy a bigger ticket item. And they'll kill Sweetwater when it comes to prices. But I guess people who don't live in a big city have as many options. YMMV.
Hmmm, I live in NYC and I use Sweetwater for most of my purchases since 1996. They rock plain and simple.

Their prices are better than any other dealer I have dealt with. I have called them about local prices here in NYC, they not only match, they don`t charge me tax and the shipping is free.

Your post reminds me of someone who says writing a Top 10 is easy but has nothing to show for it. Know what I mean?

What I`m getting at is... have you actually ever used Sweetwater?
Old 22nd December 2010
Don't undersestimate the power of polygamy as a hiring tool. Some people like stock options, some like multiple husbands or wives.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear
Thomann is the company in MI that I find interesting - it is, as far as I know over four times the size of Sweetwater, with close to 800 employees working in 16 languages, it must be the World's largest MI retailer.

Take the virtual tour here - Company Info - U.K. International Cyberstore
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I typically 90% of my stuff used but I do buy from Sweetwater from time to time. What I do like is how I have had the same consistent sales person over the years. Never pushy and always seems to know his stuff.

That is a rarity in this day and age.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
I have called them about local prices here in NYC, they not only match, they don`t charge me tax and the shipping is free.
Ernest,

The reason an out of state retailer does not charge tax is they are not licensed to do business outside of their state, they are not required to collect the sales tax from your state of New York. The law states that you still owe sales tax, in fact you are to file the purchases you made with the state of New York and pay those taxes in the form of what is called USE TAX at the time that you file your taxes. If you are making out of state purchases just because you are not being charged tax in no way means that tax is not due. Contrary to popular belief, states share their tax records and will audit those that made out of state purchases but did not report the tax. I know this for fact, I've talked to MANY over the last 15-years that have had this happen to them. If you are filing deductions when you do your taxes with these kinds of purchases but did not pay the tax on them, you are turning on a big spot light to be seen. In today's day and age where states are hard-pressed for revenue, you can bet this is going on more and more----I just spoke to a client a few weeks ago this has happened to. He spent about $20,000 back in 2005 I think it was, now his state wants tax plus penalties AND interest.

The point is this----mail-order and catalog companies will say "WE DON'T CHARGE TAX", but they rarely explain that you still owe sales tax and it's up to you to file that and pay it with your state. Know your tax laws.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
That company gives me the creeps. Got some kind of Scientology or polygamist vibe going... I can't put my finger on it. Also showing off their gigantic campus is kinda a sign they might be charging too much for the stuff they sell... I mean you're subsidizing their haircuts and racquet ball courts???
I never thought about it but now that I do I get that vibe too.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I never thought about it but now that I do I get that vibe too.
Fort Wayne, Indiana!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Fort Wayne, Indiana!

Hey now...
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
WOW!!!, Scientology, give me a break. Perhaps working in such an nice facility is a sign of success. You can go ahead and gain all of your technical knowlege from the internet and let me know how that works out for ya!!!thumbsup
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

must be nice to work there. gear discounts and a super nice facility to work in. id hate to have to wear a tie to talk on the phone though.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I dont think anyone has mentioned that Sweetwater gives a 2 yr guarantee free with all the gear they sell. I never thought much of it until an API 525 compressor I bought started intermittently cutting in and out. I called API and they said they will cover the parts but there would be a labor charge since it was over a year old. I called Sweetwater and they honored their 2 yr guarantee and Fedexed it back to me overnight for free.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't usually respond to people's posts in the negative, but WTF? You've got them as either Scientologist or polygamist just because they have a nice facility? That's GS nuttiness at it's worst. I am a long-time customer of Sweetwater (no, I don't work for them), and I can tell you, they're pretty damn good. They had the first really good online catalog that I had found, more pro than Musician's Friend or Zzounds, etc. Probably not as pro as Vintage King, certainly in terms of selection, but VK has things you can't get too many other places, such as AMS Neve 1073 modules, used large-format consoles, etc.
Most of the gear I've bought comes from Sweetwater. The main reason I do this is because of their customer service, which is kick-butt. They have a salesperson they assign to you (called a "sales engineer," I know, a little pretentious), and that's who you deal with, period. If I buy something online, I always get a call or email from Patrick, my guy at Sweetwater. I know some other places do this, but it's nice. He knows all about me, this helps a lot. Also, they support everything they sell, and they always get back to me and answer my questions. This can be really helpful, rather than dealing with manufacturers, who are sometimes difficult to get in touch with (I can call any time during business hours @ Sweetwater).
Anyway, I will end this rant, before someone thinks I'm advertising for them, but I just couldn't let this crazy dis of SW go without responding to it. (P.S. their prices are exactly the same as all the other web-based vendors out there, plus the big stores like GC (which you'd know if you bothered checking),they'd have to be, or they'd go out of business in this day and age where checking prices is as easy as getting on the 'net).
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
If you are filing deductions when you do your taxes with these kinds of purchases but did not pay the tax on them, you are turning on a big spot light to be seen....and it's up to you to file that and pay it with your state.
Thanks Brad. I did not know that. The good news: I never deduct gear purchases from my taxes.

Even with that said, I enjoy working with Sweetwater, they bailed me out a few years ago when my MTP-AV crapped out. I had a session in 48 hours, they replaced the MTP-AV with overnight delivery. They charged me for shipping, I sent them the broken unit which they kept. The replacement gear was free and it was definitely a good 3-4 years old at that point.

I don`t know any other company that would do that.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexbc View Post
I am a long-time customer of Sweetwater (no, I don't work for them), and I can tell you, they're pretty damn good. They had the first really good online catalog that I had found, more pro than Musician's Friend or Zzounds, etc. Probably not as pro as Vintage King, certainly in terms of selection, but VK has things you can't get too many other places, such as AMS Neve 1073 modules, etc.

Most of the gear I've bought comes from Sweetwater. The main reason I do this is because of their customer service, which is kick-butt. They have a salesperson they assign to you (called a "sales engineer," I know, a little pretentious), and that's who you deal with, period. If I buy something online, I always get a call or email from Patrick, my guy at Sweetwater. I know some other places do this, but it's nice. He knows all about me, this helps a lot. Also, they support everything they sell, and they always get back to me and answer my questions. This can be really helpful, rather than dealing with manufacturers, who are sometimes difficult to get in touch with (I can call any time during business hours @ Sweetwater).
Amen.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
have you actually ever used Sweetwater?
I've used them, and from my experience, sweetwater IS all about making money, and NOT establishing customer relations. and if you think their prices are good... you should just come right out, and identify yourself as a shill
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
I've used them, and from my experience, sweetwater IS all about making money, and NOT establishing customer relations. and if you think their prices are good... you should just come right out, and identify yourself as a shill
Alright mate. Do a little research before accusing me of working for Sweetwater.

Challenge: Lets pick a piece of gear a lot of places will have... the API 512c mic pre... right now, Sweetwater is offering at $760.75. Find me another online retailer or even someone local by you for a lower price. You have to be able to prove you can get it for that price. Whatever price you`re getting it for, Sweetwater will match it and I will show proof as well.

You game chump?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Funny thread heh

Kind of like "Stepford Wives meet the GearSlutz"

I'm in NY as well and have my pick of the litter as far as local shops are concerned. I still buy from Sweetwater.

Why?

I'm sick and tired of getting gear that has been opened, returned and was literally someone elses problem.

It happens all the time and I've reached my limit.

One time I purchased a pair of monitors, in a "sealed box", and when I got them home, the tweeters were fried in each one.
If that wasn't bad enough, there was a bill of sale in the box from the last customer who returned them and he paid less than I did!

I'm convinced that the sales weasels in these shops lend gear out to their friends, fudge the numbers to take back defective gear out of warranty, again for themselves or friends and that these stores just re-pack it up and sell it as new.

All the years dealing with Sweetwater and I have never, ever, gotten any piece of gear that looked used. The boxes are factory sealed.

That's just my experiences.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Alright mate. Do a little research before accusing me of working for Sweetwater.

Challenge: Lets pick a piece of gear a lot of places will have... the API 512c mic pre... right now, Sweetwater is offering at $760.75. Find me another online retailer or even someone local by you for a lower price. You have to be able to prove you can get it for that price. Whatever price you`re getting it for, Sweetwater will match it and I will show proof as well.

You game chump?
with respect, it is very easy in my experience to beat sweetwater's prices, and this API 512 price is no exception.

you just have to know who to go to. part of the deal is that i don't start posting specifics on a public forum.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79_Limited View Post
What I do like is how I have had the same consistent sales person over the years. Never pushy and always seems to know his stuff.

That is a rarity in this day and age.
Yeah I have had the same experience. Never ever pushy and never calls me, pricing has been good and I usually get my order in two days.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
with respect, it is very easy in my experience to beat sweetwater's prices, and this API 512 price is no exception.

you just have to know who to go to. part of the deal is that i don't start posting specifics on a public forum.
Well then, either `fess up or keep your mouth shut. :D

We`re New Yawkers so we can talk like that to each other.
Old 22nd December 2010
I stopped by there at their store a couple months ago. It's really nice, very clean, and the people working there actually know what they're talking about (unlike GC).
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
Your conclusion is unwarranted, and detracts heavily from what might otherwise be your valid opinion based on experience. The lack of any evidence or even a personal anecdote has the same effect.

All in all, I can see no reason why you would bother posting the above; not only do you attack other posters directly, you contribute nothing substantial to the thread.

Perhaps it is you who should just come right out and identify yourself... as playing the role of a troll.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

sweetwater tour

Much love to my sales rep, Don B. At sweetwater! 30% of my gear came from SW. Great prices and they also have great summits there.

Posted via 2239 south Michigan Chicago, IL. Kevin's Event. Gearslutz iPhone app

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search