The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BFD or Superior Drums? Drum Replacement Plugins
Old 22nd December 2010
BFD or Superior Drums?

I've had it with my drummer and I am running out of time. I need to finish our album. I was wondering which sounded better: bfd or superior. Any expansion recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

That's not a ton of info to go on...

Maybe you just haven't given your drummer something to play that he can play great... Not sayin' it is, be it might be your fault...

What kind of music are we talking here?

It's hard to imagine someone you call your drummer couldn't play something that a skillful editor could make work.

What's your deadline, what's the rush? Is it self-imposed or does the mob want their money back?

All I'm sayin' is that I don't think a recommendation of one drum sample system vs. another is going to solve whatever it is you think is the trouble.

Uh, I'm pretty happy with the results I get with BFD when I can't get a real drummer to play something useful.

Hope this helps!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

What kind of music would be my first question to you. I prefer Superior out of the two you mention. Personally I like the SSD samples. It all comes down to taste in the end. I say listen to the samples online and decide what you like best! Good luck!

Also, try the search function. I know there are a lot of good threads already up that talk about this.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post
That's not a ton of info to go on...

Maybe you just haven't given your drummer something to play that he can play great... Not sayin' it is, be it might be your fault...
He is totally capable. He is a flake and I have taken time off of work to finish the record and he is just irresponsible.
Old 22nd December 2010
It's like early devo when they used real drums.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
He is totally capable. He is a flake and I have taken time off of work to finish the record and he is just irresponsible.
With apologies in advance to all my fab percussionist pals, You say that like this is your first drummer...

If he's totally capable, you will never be happy trying to replace a real drummer with programming. It takes as long as it takes to make something great.

Smack him around a little and carry on with the real deal!!! You'll both be happier with the results.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=studiostuff;6136705]If he's totally capable, you will never be happy trying to replace a real drummer with programming. QUOTE]

agreed.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

BFD or Superior Drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra

Offer him completion money, it will be cheaper than loosing more time from work, buying and learning new software (which will not sound the same as a live mic'd drummer on a real kit).

Might sound unfair to pay him, but if you need his service more than he needs the band - this is the way.

Then, after the recording is done and he's been paid - look for a new drummer.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Also if he is that much of a flake then he is going to get mad that you replaced him with samples and quit. So having said that Addictive Drums is the way to go.heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Have you tried shaving your drummer's head yet?

... gotta be worth a shot...

Otherwise BFD!
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwonbass View Post
Also if he is that much of a flake then he is going to get mad that you replaced him with samples and quit. So having said that Addictive Drums is the way to go.heh

Oh that being said: he's been fired. It's a long history of this. I finally said I'm over it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

I have BFD and Superior. Love them both. Superior seems a bit more polished which is great for pop. BFD seems a little more organic or raw. It also gets a bit more EQ when mixing. Not a bad thing though...BFD is maybe better for earthy/indie stuff.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWow View Post
I have BFD and Superior. Love them both. Superior seems a bit more polished which is great for pop. BFD seems a little more organic or raw. It also gets a bit more EQ when mixing. Not a bad thing though...BFD is maybe better for earthy/indie stuff.
I have Superior, all the expansion packs...I've checked out BFD and I would agree with SoundWow...With Superior, you can get those Producer presets and pretty much instantly get a mix with the drums -- but they are more polished and lack a little bit of rawness...except for the Evil Drums expansion for Superior -- that is some pretty raw snap in those drums as they are the only Superior expansion pack that is third party and tracked to tape...
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I've had it with my drummer and I am running out of time. I need to finish our album. I was wondering which sounded better: bfd or superior. Any expansion recommendations?
The only comparison I can offer is based on mixing both for various clients. IMO Superior sounds are easier to mix. It sounds more like a live drummer--it sounds more dynamic. Disclaimer: maybe the programming was better, which of course would make the samples sound better.

I really dig the NY Studios SDX. IHTH...
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I wound up buying an E kit and teaching myself to bang in basic drums which I then edited. Sounded far mor elike a drummer than when I ust programmed the parts in.
Got battery 3, BFD, Steven Slate EX, Ocean Way cheapo set, EZRdummer and Superior.
Didnt like Addictive or Jamstix.

They all have their uses.
Listen to the demos and decide whose basic kit sounds you like the best for your style of music.
Or you could check out one of the many drummers who offer online drums for your tracks.
You can get these guys to play pretty much in the style you need, but not exactly cheap.
BUT it is fast and a decent guy will listen to any criticism you may have and fix it.
Old 22nd December 2010
I have BFD, Superior, Slate, NI Abbey Road 60s, and Battery 3... I don't really count batter in the "virtual drummer" category.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses - I tend to reach for the Slate the most frequently for the big acoustic sound (Zep Kit A). BFD can be good for more aggressive drums, Superior more refined and I mostly use the EZ Drummer Nashville kit (finger drums) and Twisted Kit than the Superior Kit (go figure). Just started using the NI Abbey Road 60s and while it sounds good the interface is a little nutball to figure out.

I'm eyeing up a TD4SX kit to "play in" and "edit" drum rather than program. I've been using played midi loops so far with good results for demos. I'll probably buy more in the meantime.

Free MIDI Drum Loops - Telecaster Guitar Forum

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search