The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Piercing sound, i just can't get rid. Analog Processors (HW)
Old 21st December 2010
Piercing sound, i just can't get rid.

Hello People.

Got a really nice chimey guitar sound for our latest biscuit. However, there is somewhat of a harshness to it, a quite percussive harshness on a couple of the notes. We have tried using a low pass filter, and even when we bring the devil down to 2k this harsh sound is still there, and obviously we lose all the brightness of the git. We have also tried sweeping with a very high Q to try and pinpoint the rogue frequency to no avail! We have a also tried a transient designer to try and push this rogue percussive harsh sound back a bit, but it still dont sound right.

Any suggestions on how we can remove this sound without losing the nice git sound?!

nathan.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

multiband compression ...
Old 21st December 2010
Interesting.

Is there any specific technique you recommend sir?! I would'nt say we are newbies, but let's just say we're finding our way at the moment.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

it will pull it down when it sticks out
Old 21st December 2010
I am aware of that mucker, but how do we pinpoint the devil frequency and get the multiband to reduce it without losing the sound of the git dist?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Similar to what Sigma said but I like a compressor sidechained to an eq'd version of the signal with the problem freq. boosted with a pretty sharp Q.
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
Similar to what Sigma said but I like a compressor sidechained to an eq'd version of the signal with the problem freq. boosted with a pretty sharp Q.
Ah, fair play, i need to do a bit more research about sidechaining.

thanks gents.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by naypalm View Post
I am aware of that mucker, but how do we pinpoint the devil frequency and get the multiband to reduce it without losing the sound of the git dist?
That's the trick, no?

Sidechaining a comp will help, but only if you can find the frequency you don't like first.
You say you swept for that freq, but couldn't pinpoint it. Try sweeping a heavy boost with a moderate Q first, then as you seem to get closer to the offending tone, narrow the Q.
Then do this with your eyes closed.
Seriously. Don't look at the display, listen to the sound. It's always helped me.
You may also have to deal with resonances of the original freq to remove all the nastiness.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post
That's the trick, no?

Sidechaining a comp will help, but only if you can find the frequency you don't like first.
You say you swept for that freq, but couldn't pinpoint it. Try sweeping a heavy boost with a moderate Q first, then as you seem to get closer to the offending tone, narrow the Q.
Then do this with your eyes closed.
Seriously. Don't look at the display, listen to the sound. It's always helped me.
You may also have to deal with resonances of the original freq to remove all the nastiness.
Coolio, i'll try this on thursday and report back!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
that works too
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

If you can, recut it changing the eq on the amp and pickup selection along with mic position to where you need it to sit. If you can't then above suggestions for best results.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Ah, I didn't realize there was problem finding the exact freq. - thought you meant you found it with EQ but cutting it didn't help and/or affected the tone too much.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search