The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My prediction for 2012
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
My prediction for 2012

I have been using my Overstayer compressor for a while and really like it. Recently, I read about the Square State Solid State, Model one b, EQ, which is supposed to be very similar to the old Pultecs; The OS was $600 for the modded version, and the Oneb is $499. There are other examples of similar great gear at project studio prices......my prediction is that real soon, the "big name" super-expensive gear is going to have to come down in price...or sell only to the big expensive studios (of which there aren't too many). Am I all wet here? Time will tell......
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude G. View Post
I have been using my Overstayer compressor for a while and really like it. Recently, I read about the Square State Solid State, Model one b, EQ, which is supposed to be very similar to the old Pultecs; The OS was $600 for the modded version, and the Oneb is $499. There are other examples of similar great gear at project studio prices......my prediction is that real soon, the "big name" super-expensive gear is going to have to come down in price...or sell only to the big expensive studios (of which there aren't too many). Am I all wet here? Time will tell......
Considering the world is ending on December 21, 2012, I was planning on buying all the gear I ever wanted with one of those "no payments" until 2013 credit cards.heh
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

wow. Instead of the world ending...prices for high-end gear are slashed worldwide. I see your vision.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
Considering the world is ending on December 21, 2012, I was planning on buying all the gear I ever wanted with one of those "no payments" until 2013 credit cards.heh
I forgot about the apocalypse. I thought that the world was gonna end on the 12th, not the 21st heh
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

The thing is with the two manufacturers that you mentioned, they are very small and (I'm assuming) have very low overhead, because their volumes are low. They keep a larger piece of the pie, as well. The overstayer is sold directly from the manufacturer. Square Solid State is only sold through Zen Pro.

Larger manufacturers have a higher volume, so have a much higher overhead. They have much larger distribution networks, so make less per unit, which means that they probably can't bring prices down. Of course with economies of scale, your component cost comes down, but components are cheap compared to manufacturing costs.

I don't really see hardware costs coming down from established players. I think that the key is to research and find small manufacturers that build high quality gear at prices that the bigger companies won't match.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post

Damn, after seeing your avatar....I can die happy when the world ends AND the prices of gear come down......WHO IS THAT????????heh
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploded View Post
The thing is with the two manufacturers that you mentioned, they are very small and (I'm assuming) have very low overhead, because their volumes are low. They keep a larger piece of the pie, as well. The overstayer is sold directly from the manufacturer. Square Solid State is only sold through Zen Pro.

Larger manufacturers have a higher volume, so have a much higher overhead. They have much larger distribution networks, so make less per unit, which means that they probably can't bring prices down. Of course with economies of scale, your component cost comes down, but components are cheap compared to manufacturing costs.

I don't really see hardware costs coming down from established players. I think that the key is to research and find small manufacturers that build high quality gear at prices that the bigger companies won't match.
YOU GRINCH! I was dreaming there for a while....and you had to come with a realistic, sensible state of affairs........can't we all dream?
Old 19th July 2012
Lives for gear

I just came across this thread, and I'm sad to say it doesn't look like your prediction came true.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search