The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sound replacer for instruments?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

sound replacer for instruments?

Is there a plug in for pro tools that can replace poorly recorded instruments for example if I have a session with a guitar and its played great but it was a cheap amp and guitar is there a plug in that can copy the rythm and intricate details with a better sound like a guitar from komplete 7 or something? Obviously I would like it to be able to work with any instrument I was just using a guitar as an example

I know having the artist re-record the part with better gear is best but in a pinch sometimes there's not time or they can't get better gear...

Thanks for any input
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Try am Amp simulator plugin
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Talk Ent. View Post
Obviously I would like it to be able to work with any instrument I was just using a guitar as an example
amp sims are for realtime wav files recorded DI. Most others would be a midi performance triggering a sound engine of a virtual synth, sampler, rompler etc. In that case just insert a different synth, and in the midi track parameters point to the new synth as the output.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

If you got a DI, you can improve the amp sound but the playing and the guitar can't be changed. You can't emulate the sound and intricate playing of a guitar part, for obvious reasons.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

I mean if I get a record to mix not if the artist records with me, and I just used guitar as an example.

Another example to try and be more clear.

If I get a session with a vionin recorded as an audio track not midi, is there a way to replace the real violen with a virtual instruments violin to imporve the sound without changing the preformace or rythm of the original track?

Like in cubase vari audio can make a real audio track into an intricatly detailed midi version so you can use a VI to replace the audio....is they're anything that does this in pro tools 9?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

No.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there a plug in for pro tools that can replace poorly recorded instruments for example if I have a session with a guitar and its played great but it was a cheap amp and guitar is there a plug in that can copy the rythm and intricate details with a better sound like a guitar from komplete 7 or something? Obviously I would like it to be able to work with any instrument I was just using a guitar as an example
Now what would be handy for some would be a plugin that could actually replace musicians who can't play well BEFORE the recording takes place...

Cheers,

Otto
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofajen View Post
Now what would be handy for some would be a plugin that could actually replace musicians who can't play well BEFORE the recording takes place...

Cheers,

Otto
I said replace the bad sound of a well played part so your comment makes no sence towards what I was asking, sorry if I wasn't clear
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I said replace the bad sound of a well played part so your comment makes no sence towards what I was asking, sorry if I wasn't clear
I was joking.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Hi Real Talk,
I think your best bet will be Melodyne. If I'm not mistaken it can convert polyphonic audio to midi as well. If your recording is of a monophonic instrument such as solo violin or bass you can use Logic's built-in Audio-to-Score feature.
Hope this helps

Cheers,

-Nir
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Always record a DI signal for Backup, that way you can reamp with different amps or use amps sims if you don't have any good cabs and heads.Look here for radial reamping kit works great ! Radial Products Index

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search