The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New thread reporting function - your input requested... Lets clean GS up! Condenser Microphones
Old 20th December 2010
New thread reporting function - your input requested... Lets clean GS up!

Its a serious question. And I politely request that people responding stay on-topic.

I think a lot of people aren't aware that that the forum has so many posts that the moderators cant (dont) read every line of text posted and they rely heavily on people that value the forum (you?!) to "report posts" to bring anti social / rude or off topic threads and posts to their attention to investigate.

Soon

1) it will be visibly clearer how to report a post and we may introduce some categories like this rough sketch list below

Abusive or flaming or foul language or insults
Wrong sub forum
Over harsh on a newbie
Off Topic
Dealer / manufacturer posting only to generate sales
Sexist or locker room or homophobic content
Disrespect to an industry veteran contributor

Have you got suggestions for reported post classifications?

We may also run a public infracted member list where you can see who has been reported for what and for why.. This might clear up the 'where did xxxx post or xxx thread go'? questions.

Trying to clear to his place up a bit! And at the same time make it clearer what is not allowed.

As I said at the start - please keep on topic - I am looking for (serious) suggestions for what should be reportable.. (no clown answers please!) If you care to help keep the forum civil and on topic I am interested in your suggestions..

Just so you know some things we wont be doing...
*Insisting on use of real names..
*Allowing free for all / anything goes posting

A forum posting code (guidelines) will soon emerge also that will be handy for reference and for forum newbies to read..

OK thanks!

Some rough (demo only) screen shots below of what it might look like..
Attached Thumbnails
New thread reporting function - your input requested... Lets clean GS up!-report-button.jpg   New thread reporting function - your input requested... Lets clean GS up!-report-drop-down.jpg  
Old 21st December 2010
New ones just in!

Excessive negativity
Political/religious
Flogging a dead horse
(going round and round on an old, dead issue)
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

What about *bump* posts?

I'm not pro or con, too much, but it annoys me to see a notification of a new post, when it's just a *bump*...
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

why should veterans like me be shielded from disrespect?

and why should someone be toned down for being harsh on people? isn't that life?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I would prefer anyone being able to say whatever they want to me. That is one thing I like about an open forum. That being said sometimes people can be way overly harsh on a newbie and things like that should be reported. We all have times when we new nothing about a subject we were interested in. As far as sexiest or religious or just ignorant posts. I would just say let peoples ignorance show. They get called out on it anyway. People should also be able to have differing opinions.

That being said I think this should be gearsluts not censored gearslutz of the oppressed, but there should be some reporting options.

Spam, The only place there should be spam is in the electonic musical instrument forum. It accepted and welcomed and sanctioned there. There has been a lot of people spamming the lowend forum and I would like to see that stopped they can use the classified section just like everyone else.

harsh or inappropriate. you could bunch anything like to harsh on a new or sexiest as well as direct assults on a person in here. The moderators should just read over it and make there own judgments you guys are normally good about that kind of stuff if its to over the top just remove it.

Wrong forum Just to let the moderator know it was posted in the wron forum and should be moved.

double posts kind of like wrong forum.

The first 2 there should be reproductions for peoples actions banning for a few days or something but use good judgment and try to let people say what they are going to say. If people get overly upset about people using certain terms that have double meaning one being a derogatory term indicating ones sexuality. The other an common way to bust your buddy's chops. I wouldn't worry about it. Also I saw in one post I guy said well know one has insulted me personally. Then the next guy said," your a C**k now someone has) That was just being funny let that stuff slide.

Th wrong forum posts could happen to anyone just move the post and send them a standarized message pointing them in the right direction.

Thats how I feel at least.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Have you got suggestions for reported post classifications? We may also run a public infracted member list where you can see who has been reported for what and for why.
It sounds like you have the major categories covered, and I applaud you for doing this. There's no need for abusive language and insults in a professional and hopefully classy forum. Also:

I don't mind "bump" posts if the original questions are legit but nobody answered. I do mind such posts that serve only to keep endless flaming at the top of the thread list.

As for shielding veterans (only) from disrespect, I think everyone is entitled to respect.

--Ethan
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

Apparently there is a lot of primadonnas among big engineers who can't for their life understand and accept that maybe not every single channel they ever mixed or recorded was the best sounding channel in history of music recording.
If there is a thread about latest album they mixed and you say to them that you didn't like sound of that kick drum, they just split and never come back again.

On the other hand there are people like yourself who are selfconfident enough not to be bothered or offended by other people's opinions even when those opinions are completely wrong.

I must say i don't like institution of Sacred Cows that's being forced upon us on this forum.

And the best part is that none of you know who "doubledecker" or somebody else under "johnny3488" nick really is in real life.
Not everybody wants their actual name to be known on internet forums, you know.

But whatever, i don't have a problem with following rules even if i can't set them
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Just wanted to add bumps are a appropriate necessity.

and

Quote:
+1
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
Apparently there is a lot of primadonnas among big engineers who can't for their life understand and accept that maybe not every single channel they ever mixed or recorded was the best sounding channel in history of music recording.
If there is a thread about latest album they mixed and you say to them that you didn't like sound of that kick drum, they just split and never come back again.

On the other hand there are people like yourself who are selfconfident enough not to be bothered or offended by other people's opinions even when those opinions are completely wrong.

I must say i don't like institution of Sacred Cows that's being forced upon us on this forum.

And the best part is that none of you know who "doubledecker" or somebody else under "johnny3488" nick really is in real life.
Not everybody wants their actual name to be known on internet forums, you know.

But whatever, i don't have a problem with following rules even if i can't set them
agreed..
...it's jules site jules rules

i know i got a PM from 1 or 2 members when i posted about how stupid a thread was about plys rather than types of tissue used and that whole BS tweeter thing with NS10's and who i was really talking to on the thread..

i may have worded it slighlty different [i said you musta been an assistant] but i still feel the same way.if you have to hide your identity then don't get your undies inna bunch

PS bill putnam's adage about an engineer's job as being 90% BS and 10% talent should be heeded

there are scientific facts and there are opinions and taste.. i'm hard on people who distort facts because there are kids learning here and i'm highly opinionated on issues of taste..plus i live in Philly so i have a thick skin..we did throw snowballs at santa on a nationally televised eagles game

i never used the "flag" function on any site i've been on... free speech and all
Old 21st December 2010
There are a lot of rude kids/folks who can't have mature discussions. Add to that this is an Internet forum and you get a lot of pointless BS.

It's not about constructive criticism with these people, it's about the argument and it's not productive. I assume everyone wants this site to be a productive and professional place.

Thanks for keeping this site a great place Jules.
Old 21st December 2010
When reporting a post, can we pick more than 1 category?

Will we be able to add a message?

Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwagner View Post
There are a lot of rude kids/folks who can't have mature discussions. Add to that this is an Internet forum and you get a lot of pointless BS.

It's not about constructive criticism with these people, it's about the argument and it's not productive. I assume everyone wants this site to be a productive and professional place.

Thanks for keeping this site a great place Jules.
That totally sums it up for me too.

--Ethan
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

I like it.

For those that think it is too much, remember that it is only a report to make a forum moderator aware of something.

It is still up to the mod as to whether any action should be taken.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Abusive or flaming or foul language or insults
Wrong sub forum
Over harsh on a newbie
Off Topic
Dealer / manufacturer posting only to generate sales
Sexist or locker room or homophobic content
Disrespect to an industry veteran contributor

These are great. I almost want to see a simple "troll alert" option...sometimes what drags a thread down into misery is one guy who insists on expressing an obtuse opinion over and over, and won't let go so long as anyone else dares to disagree. Such a label, seen only by you and the moderators, would allow you to make the ultimate determination.
Old 21st December 2010
"Off Topic".

How do you define this? Sometimes one thing leads to another, and we end up discussing subwoofers in a thread that started on near field monitors, or something like that. At what point can this merit an infraction?

It seems like you could get flooded with reports of off topic posts that are simply the natural result of discussions that lead to new discussions...

Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

YET . . . the "disrespect to an industry veteran contributor" doesn't give the so called 'veteran' cart blanche simply because he is well known if HE is the one being a jerk. I have seen it happen here (though rarely) . . . that they are tolerated by GS due to the seeming marquee value of having them here. MANY of us are veterans. There should not be two standards. btw . . . I am NOT talking about 'guest question and answer' contributers
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

wow

Disrespect to an industry veteran contributor ??? what does this mean ? is this for real ?
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
These are great. I almost want to see a simple "troll alert" option...sometimes what drags a thread down into misery is one guy who insists on expressing an obtuse opinion over and over, and won't let go so long as anyone else dares to disagree.
+1 for "troll alert".

Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

How about a "simple" thumbs up or down vote on each post, a la the news sites.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
"Off Topic".

How do you define this? Sometimes one thing leads to another, and we end up discussing subwoofers in a thread that started on near field monitors, or something like that. At what point can this merit an infraction?

It seems like you could get flooded with reports of off topic posts that are simply the natural result of discussions that lead to new discussions...

Exactly... someone who is looking for advice on NF monitors ends up reading 3 pages of arguments about whether subs are appropriate in a control room because someone turns the discussion that direction instead of staying "on topic" or starting a new thread with their new topic. It's one thing if the OP turned around and asked, "Okay, I think I've got my NF's figured out... can you now give me advice on subs?", but that's typically not the "one thing" that leads to the "other".

Personally, I think when someone asks something like, "what do I need to do to make this drum mix sound better?", and the thread turns into a 3-page argument over whether or not it's appropriate to us EQ while tracking drums, while it may be on the topic of "making drums sound better", the usefulness to the original intent of the post becomes zero to zero point five percent when the drums themselves are out of tune, the drummer himself isn't in time, the mics are placed wrong, and the OP has never been taught how to mix properly. Yet, more times than not on GS that's exactly the direction any type of "can I please get your help with learning how to do xxx/yyy" goes.

Like others, I'm not afraid of getting personally jabbed or insulted, but "thread hijacking" is kind of a running joke when it comes to GS. I've seen some pretty funny references to it on other forums. Without even naming GS directly, everyone knows exactly what someone is talking about, such as...

"Hi! Can I get some advice on where I should place my vocal mic in relation to the singer?"

"Umm... in front of his/her mouth?"

"6" from them"

"What you really need is a NOY-man U47"

"No, he's using the wrong pre"

"I like to compress the vocal on the way in"

"The only way to properly record a vocal is to tape"

"what?? What about all those gold records that came from black-face ADATs?"

"everyone knows BF ADATS sound like nails on a chalk-board"

"Well, it didn't hurt so-and-so's bottom line"

"What you need is a tube EQ"

OP: "Umm... so what exactly is the best way to place the mic?"

"Tube EQ's are out-dated... that new plugin suite does just fine..."

"Plugins can never replace vintage outboard gear"

"If he doesn't know how to place a vocal mic by now, he'll never get it... this thread must be a joke. I call "troll" ".

"Yup, troll. But tape is still the only answer"

and on & on it goes...

Get the idea? GS is fun for what it is, but that's GS in a nutshell in soooo many cases.

So, yes, I think maybe if some posts were getting "off topic" flags and got removed, maybe some people would refrain from straying and begin starting new topics for their new, un-related (or bunny-trail-related) thoughts.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Anything that gets rid of the trolls and disrespectful people gets my vote!
Old 21st December 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
How about a "simple" thumbs up or down vote on each post, a la the news sites.
That's actually a very simple approach that might make more sense in people's busy lives. So I guess one could see:

1) in the main forum thread listings, maybe a percentage of thumbs up / down on some kind of scale before even entering the thread

2) maybe see the actual POST (or posts) within the thread that received the thumbs up / down

Seems like a very quick system that requires no real policing, other than if moderators or Jules see abuse by individuals with an agenda (a member constantly thumbing DOWN a competing product or company they have a beef with, or gear makers / dealers constantly thumbing UP their own products).

War
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ale View Post
Disrespect to an industry veteran contributor ??? what does this mean ? is this for real ?

I can't speak for Jules but I take this to mean; an industry veteran would be someone who folks know about because of their work. They have been successful in the industry and have been there and done that. These folks have a lot of knowledge that myself and others are interested in hearing.

They dont have to post here and aren't going to benefit their careers by answering questions on this forum. So when some jackass is being offensive towards these folks it should be reported. Their opinions mean more because they are successful and why there is a diffence between them and someone who is not successful in regards to forum moderation.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

personally i don't need protection..i dish it and can take it..some of my mixes have been great and some sucked and what they sold had nothing to do with either
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't like "thumbs up or down" system because it always ends up being popularity contest where people give thumbs up or down to the person writing the post and not for the post itself.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm with you Mike . .

AND I was totally impressed with you and Gerald leaving out a "bridge"! *smile* They aren't important! heh
. . And I let my feelings show in the studio by throwing a punch! *smile*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
personally i don't need protection..i dish it and can take it..
Old 21st December 2010
I don't think, in actual practise, the thumbs up/down thing will work well.

All other ideas are good imo.

I really like the idea of being able to add a personal message on the report -- that can really clarify and expedient things for the mods I believe.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
I'm with you Mike . .

AND I was totally impressed with you and Gerald leaving out a "bridge"! *smile* They aren't important! heh
. . And I let my feelings show in the studio by throwing a punch! *smile*
lol ... dude ..the stories i could tell

you mean "the" bridge or was it a B section? i forgot

g
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

What are the major problems we're trying to alleviate?

Spam is obvious and pretty easily flagged, even with the existing system.

Maybe we need a subforum for purchase recommendations?

It seems like I see the "Recommend a mic under $500" type posts a lot, like the "work in progress" area, but just for gear?

Maybe a flag to suggest a more meaningful post title? "Help!" isn't a very helpful title, for instance! This flag would just go to the poster, and they'd have the ability to re-title their initial post?

What are we trying to solve here. exactly?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
I don't like "thumbs up or down" system because it always ends up being popularity contest where people give thumbs up or down to the person writing the post and not for the post itself.
Then those people are idiots.
The system relies on averages and when you have thousands of users, averages can be a good indicator of the usefulness of a post. ONly the mods should be able to see who votes how. Who cares if somebody's popular?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search