The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New thread reporting function - your input requested... Lets clean GS up! Condenser Microphones
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
The problem is I cant find a listing of all my posts.
That would be great so I could erase stuff that I changed my opinion on.
user control panel

view all subscribed threads
Old 29th December 2010
+10000 on troll alert, also getting pompous&insulting/personal , flame baiting.. etc..

attacks based on religious/political views, gender etc.. should be reported without exception.. probably ban ppl too.

that being said, imho alerts should be limited such basic, most problematic issues. if you have 10 or 20 different kinds, dealing with petty things like bumping etc.. its gonna turn into a circus (maximus)..

also, you shouldn't exclude the posibility some ppl will alert on others just to "get even" for something (stupid).. so you should take extra care to see if it was indeed justified... and what was the context leading up to it.

"booo hoooo.. he told me he doesn't like my song/mix/preamp i just bought with last big $$$ i had.." etc - insecure ppl getting defensive over their equipment and work are boring to no end. .. maybe you should introduce a special button for them that shouts: MOM!!

heh
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
[...]

some ppl will alert on others just to "get even" for something (stupid).. so you should take extra care to see if it was indeed justified... and what was the context leading up to it.

"booo hoooo.. he told me he doesn't like my song/mix/preamp i just bought with last big $$$ i had.." etc - insecure ppl getting defensive over their equipment and work are boring to no end. .. maybe you should introduce a special button for them that shouts: MOM!!

heh
Maybe Jules wasn't really kidding with this:
New thread reporting function - your input requested... Lets clean GS up!-reportjules.jpg

Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

I find it interesting that a perspective has emerged which views this flagging function as tantamount to protecting elites from criticism, dissent, or disagreement, and as tantamount to silencing someone's legitimate voice. I do not share this perspective.

From my own experience, it is entirely possible to voice *vehement* and *passionate* disagreement with someone, industry vet or otherwise, while maintaining a high degree of civility, professionalism, maturity, and respect. If you're reading this, you're watching me try my best to do exactly that, right now.

The thing about this hypothetical new system is that it does not impose any rules, it does not purport to establish any community standards and impose them from above. On the contrary, it allows all of us within the community itself to define those standards for ourselves, in real time, in response to real situations rather than hypotheticals, and to share that perspective with those whose job it is to make the actual call.

It limits nothing and no one. It does not empower the flagger with the ability to silence or squelch anyone's voice. Only the moderators have that power... nothing is changing except the means by which they notice potential problems.

Look, we all know a flaming d*uchbag when we see one, we see them all the time. Personally, I've seen far too many interesting, friendly, lively discussions go down in flames because 1 or 2 people simply refuse to ease up or let the most trivial of points go. I am completely in favor of any system that helps the moderators handle these situations more efficiently and effectively.

Will this new system actually help the moderators like that? Damned if I know, but then again neither do you or anyone else. The only way to know if the proposed scheme will be effective is to put a little thought into it, whip something coherent together, and give it a try. Personally, I'd much rather reach for something great and fall flat on my face than sit still and settle for something that I know, deep down, can be improved.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

NO!

I disagree with this attempt to clean up the forums. It's a big mistake. Most of the criteria in your first two posts are questionable and subjective and could be used against anybody. This will limit the freedom of the forums. My response to each criterion:

Abusive or flaming or foul language or insults

Totally subjective. Legitimate disagreements could be stifled.

Wrong sub forum

Ok, whatever. Why so anal? (Ooh--am I going to be flagged for that? "Anal" could be both "foul" and "homophobic."

Over harsh on a newbie

Some people need to be told.

Off Topic

Just don't pay attention. It works.

Dealer / manufacturer posting only to generate sales

Oh, Jessuschrist. They are all posting to generate sales. What if a dealer poses as a non-dealer? Then, what? Maybe just ban contact info in the signature?

Sexist or locker room or homophobic content

Thanks for bringing political correctness to gearsluts. Frikin' commies. fuuckfuuckfuuckfuuck

Disrespect to an industry veteran contributor

Yes, master. fuuck

Excessive negativity

Ok, no comments about Behringer, then.

Political/religious

Nothing wrong with saying fuuck China. fuuck China. And banning sexist language isn't political?

Flogging a dead horse

In that case, close most of the threads. Just about every topic is thoroughly dead.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Saxon, all valid points.

But the only thing that changes is it gives the mods more eyes and makes their work easier. They are already having to decide all the points you mentioned.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

If someone simply doesn't know what they are talking about,
are you allowed to say, "You don't know what you are talking about"?

Seriously.
Old 31st December 2010
You can disagree with someone sure. If you are rude about it you might pick up an infraction point for rudeness.

If someone being "wrong" on the internet and not admitting it, (or their not holding the same opinion as you) is likely to spin you off into an aligator death roll, make you gnash your teeth or lose sleep or will be a very important issue then you probably aren't suited to large web forums.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
You can disagree with someone sure. If you are rude about it you might pick up an infraction point for rudeness.

If someone being "wrong" on the internet and not admitting it, (or their not holding the same opinion as you) is likely to spin you off into an aligator death roll, make you gnash your teeth or lose sleep or will be a very important issue then you probably aren't suited to large web forums.
Jules,

I was obviously being sarcastic above, but sarcasm can sometimes reveal a point better than a direct statement! (Yet I still might get a point for rudeness.) I can understand trying to make this forum more professional, but flagging all these things could suck all the fun out of Gearslutz.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
LOL mine

N/A 12th March 2010
06:18 PM Never 1 Inappropriate Language Jules
People with handicaps...
5th June 2008
02:29 PM Never 0 Inappropriate Language Jules
Private 25th September 2007
05:14 AM Never 1 Insulted Other Member(s) Jules

i guess i have one to go and i'm gone
how do you see if you have any infractions? is it in the user CP?
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
Apparently there is a lot of primadonnas among big engineers who can't for their life understand and accept that maybe not every single channel they ever mixed or recorded was the best sounding channel in history of music recording.
If there is a thread about latest album they mixed and you say to them that you didn't like sound of that kick drum, they just split and never come back again.

On the other hand there are people like yourself who are selfconfident enough not to be bothered or offended by other people's opinions even when those opinions are completely wrong.

I must say i don't like institution of Sacred Cows that's being forced upon us on this forum.

And the best part is that none of you know who "doubledecker" or somebody else under "johnny3488" nick really is in real life.
Not everybody wants their actual name to be known on internet forums, you know.

But whatever, i don't have a problem with following rules even if i can't set them
Then you have your Billy the Kid syndrome where anyone with a "name" or a proven track record will be challenged by the horde of nobodies.
As in, Mark Chapman making a name for himself by killing a bigger name. Hereby providing a service to himself but a disservice to society.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

JMHO, but I'd like to think that mutual respect isn't a matter of pro versus amateur, or veteran versus newbie, but is based on the fact that we're all human beings.

I feel 99.9% of GS posters follow this rule; sure, many of us, including myself, lose it now and then. But generally peace wins the day.

Also, most of the pro's -- like Mr Gregory Scott, whom I respect greatly -- are helpful, understanding, and businesslike. There's really only one I can think if who occasionally -- just occasionally -- exhibits an air of condescension in making his points, and he usually gets called on it. So what? I've come to accept it's just part of his persona -- and is far outweighed by his knowledge which he regularly shares with us.

The REAL culprits are the .01% who are simply ill mannered know-it-alls; it seems they are never long time members, and it seems they disappear pretty quickly.
Old 1st January 2011
I should probably just clarify in the forthcoming guidelines that if you take snide pot shots at the VIPs that have done service here with Q&A sub forums you can expect to pick up an infraction or suspension for it.
Old 4th January 2011
Please have your input on the button..vote in the poll

Thanks in advance

New thread reporting function!!! The button poll!
Old 11th January 2011
This is active now..

We are tweaking it a bit..

Any feedback?
Old 11th January 2011

i think your system is both unfair and retarted i got an infraction for making a very funny thread that had over 5 pages of fun replies no one was offended or hurt in any way my punishment was to be banned from a part of gearslutz I never even posted to. that makes no sense and what did I do I created a new name ohhh that really showed me. I have 4 more names on 4 seperate isp's so dfegad on your system and unfair unreversable infractions this place use to be worth comming to. Prior to my infraction i never got even so much as a warning for the 4 plus years ive posted here and all of a sudden im banned for sections of the site
Old 11th January 2011
All infractions are reversible!
Old 11th January 2011

Jules I don't think it's fair to get banned from a part of the site I didn't post to I posted to low end theory, but got banned from so much gear so little time what sense does that make? I'm a very understanding person a warning would of suficed. I didnt think my satire thread was wrong and no one complained and next thing i know theres parts of the site i cant log into
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Guru

The reporting function doesn't work on Firefox 2.

The window starts to pop up, then stops before it's fully formed : (

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 11th January 2011
Wazzup with using 2?

I just booted up Firefox and got this message

Thanks for upgrading to Firefox 3.6.13

And for supporting Mozilla’s mission of promoting openness, innovation and opportunity on the Web!
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Gregory isnt very 'tech savvy'. Poor guy heh
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Self Moderated Threads

Hey Jules,

I posted this idea in another thread and it received some favourable replies.

I don't know if it's possible but I think it would be helpful to the Mod's if we moved to a system where threads were self moderated. This would be very similar to how a You Tube user can manage comments on their postings. On You Tube you can choose to prevent a specific user from posting on a thread, you can also completely remove posts as well. I have posted a couple of You Tube videos and I have this system to be invaluable.

In a small community like this I think a self moderated forum would generate a lot more respectful discussion as disrespectful members will just be excluded from discussions. As I said earlier, I don't know if it is possible to set up in this forum but if it could, it would be easy enough to test out.

Thoughts?
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

I didn't get a infraction or what ever its called but I posted in the classfieds section yesterday some stuff I had for sale. I told someone to IM me who posted in my thread, made a comment when and Item sold saying that that Item was no longer for sale, and when I guy that bought an item commented great sale on a great item for a great price I thanked him and sniper school sent me a message saying answer peoples questions in your thread though IM every time you answer a question it bumps the thread as I'm sure you know. You can look at the thread I did bump it this morning but I posted it yesterday morning. I think him sending me that message was a little out of line I know he is a moderator and just doing his job. I don't feel I did anything wrong though.
Old 11th January 2011
I am struggling to get a grasp of the problem as you describe it but will ask Sniperschool about it..
Old 11th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
Hey Jules,

I posted this idea in another thread and it received some favourable replies.

I don't know if it's possible but I think it would be helpful to the Mod's if we moved to a system where threads were self moderated. This would be very similar to how a You Tube user can manage comments on their postings. On You Tube you can choose to prevent a specific user from posting on a thread, you can also completely remove posts as well. I have posted a couple of You Tube videos and I have this system to be invaluable.

In a small community like this I think a self moderated forum would generate a lot more respectful discussion as disrespectful members will just be excluded from discussions. As I said earlier, I don't know if it is possible to set up in this forum but if it could, it would be easy enough to test out.

Thoughts?
Too many grumpy people for that to work, everyone with differing opinions would likely get banned from individual threads. Opinion can very easily get polarised, or can differ wildly, an attempt to control THAT would be a disaster, I can see on a private YouTube page you might want control of the comments, on say, a video of your daughter's ballet class or son's little league game but not here - its a forum community - threads are for the whole forum to access and debate. At present the 'censorship' controls in place are basically to just keep the place civil and to keep it SFW (Save (viewing) For Work) or a family household...

There are about 16 moderators now - communicate your issues to them via the report system and you will have an input to the moderation of the forum. We actively rely on your assistance.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Too many grumpy people for that to work, everyone with differing opinions would likely get banned from individual threads. Opinion can very easily get polarised, or can differ wildly, an attempt to control THAT would be a disaster, I can see on a private YouTube page you might want control of the comments, on say, a video of your daughter's ballet class or son's little league game but not here - its a forum community - threads are for the whole forum to access and debate. At present the 'censorship' controls in place are basically to just keep the place civil and to keep it SFW (Save (viewing) For Work) or a family household...

There are about 16 moderators now - communicate your issues to them via the report system and you will have an input to the moderation of the forum. We actively rely on your assistance.
Out of curiosity, is it even possible to implement a 'self moderated' format in this forum.

I think you would be surpised at how much tolerance many people hear have of other opinions. IMO People who are too selective will stop having people contribute to their threads. It would a self regulating process on more levels than one. The system wouldn't block people from accessing content, it would just prevent them from posting of their conduct was deemed out of line.

As per my first question above, if it was a system that could be implemented, it wouldn't necessarily have to be the entire forum. It could be a test section titled 'self moderated forums' or soemthing llike that.

Anyways, thanks for the response and thanks for the attempts to clean things up, cheers!
Old 11th January 2011
Quote:
I should probably just clarify in the forthcoming guidelines that if you take snide pot shots at the VIPs that have done service here with Q&A sub forums you can expect to pick up an infraction or suspension for it.
when will these be live?
Old 11th January 2011
Here for the gear

My main concern is with the shilling problem. I had a long phone conversation with an insider the other day who warned me about looking for gear reviews on gearslutz because, according to him, shills are all over the site. Also according to him, some of the big name manufacturers (some, not all) keep a good number of people on the payroll to do nothing but go on gearslutz, thegearpage, and other forums to praise their company's products and trash the competition. They are all posing as unaffiliated gearheads, so you don't even know you're reading a shill's post. These shills for hire apparently maintain multiple online identities.

I think that, to the extent this is actually going on, it needs to be policed. I come here to get gear reviews from actual users all the time, and I post regarding my own experiences with gear regularly. It is really bad to have the good-faith, honest discussions between real users of the site get corrupted by people on the manufacturer's payroll posing as regular contributors!

However, I want to be clear that I think it is really great to have industry reps on the site providing tips and other info, AS LONG AS THEY IDENTIFY THEMSELVES.

PROPOSAL: I think that there should be a reporting system that keeps track of the companies that pay people to plug their products and trash the competition without identifying their affiliation.

Still, it could be quite difficult to identify shills as opposed to regular posters who just happen to be really happy about some piece of gear they own. In fact, many of my own posts are of this nature. For instance, I love my Daking mic preamp, and I've raved about it in several instances. I'm sure Daking seeing posts like that, but they don't pay me! I've never talked to them. Someone else reading my post might say, hrm, now what's this guy's motivation?

ALTERNATIVE PROPOSAL: if it is impracticable to be sure about who the shills are as opposed to the enthusiastic noobs (like me!), then Gearslutz should have serious honor-code in place, to which all posters must agree, saying that "I solemnly swear not to recommend products or trash the competition of products for pay--monetary or otherwise--unless I clearly identify my status as a representative of whomever is paying me." <--- this could clearly be refined. Sometimes an honor code can go a long way towards changing behavior.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojefferson View Post
My main concern is with the shilling problem. I had a long phone conversation with an insider the other day who warned me about looking for gear reviews on gearslutz because, according to him, shills are all over the site. Also according to him, some of the big name manufacturers (some, not all) keep a good number of people on the payroll to do nothing but go on gearslutz, thegearpage, and other forums to praise their company's products and trash the competition. They are all posing as unaffiliated gearheads, so you don't even know you're reading a shill's post. These shills for hire apparently maintain multiple online identities.

I think that, to the extent this is actually going on, it needs to be policed. I come here to get gear reviews from actual users all the time, and I post regarding my own experiences with gear regularly. It is really bad to have the good-faith, honest discussions between real users of the site get corrupted by people on the manufacturer's payroll posing as regular contributors!

However, I want to be clear that I think it is really great to have industry reps on the site providing tips and other info, AS LONG AS THEY IDENTIFY THEMSELVES.

PROPOSAL: I think that there should be a reporting system that keeps track of the companies that pay people to plug their products and trash the competition without identifying their affiliation.

Still, it could be quite difficult to identify shills as opposed to regular posters who just happen to be really happy about some piece of gear they own. In fact, many of my own posts are of this nature. For instance, I love my Daking mic preamp, and I've raved about it in several instances. I'm sure Daking seeing posts like that, but they don't pay me! I've never talked to them. Someone else reading my post might say, hrm, now what's this guy's motivation?

ALTERNATIVE PROPOSAL: if it is impracticable to be sure about who the shills are as opposed to the enthusiastic noobs (like me!), then Gearslutz should have serious honor-code in place, to which all posters must agree, saying that "I solemnly swear not to recommend products or trash the competition of products for pay--monetary or otherwise--unless I clearly identify my status as a representative of whomever is paying me." <--- this could clearly be refined. Sometimes an honor code can go a long way towards changing behavior.

+50000000000000000000000000000000

We all suspect certain devs are doing this and its VERY infuriating to see them get away with it.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

I like that there are so few "Reason" options (even though "abusive" may leave much room for interpretation).
But if someone has a gripe with another user, they'll have to do a careful job formulating their problem if they want to be taken seriously. This may actually help keep personal vendettas to a minimum.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search