The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New thread reporting function - your input requested... Lets clean GS up! Condenser Microphones
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
What do you think of an "rule breaker page" where it's possible to see all the current infractions. I ask this only because a) other forums do this with some success and b) it would cure the "what happens to xxxxxx member?" mysteries (as it would be clear to see that person had been warned 3 times for posting political threads and amassed the 3 infraction points that finally got them banned. People could follow the moderation warnings / "requests to stop" etc.
Good idea? Bad idea?
Good idea.
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Suitcase View Post
What about *bump* posts?
Disallowing bumps is crazy. Especially in the Classifieds. Although a max of one bump every 24 hours might be okay. I used to be on a forum (not gear related) that didn't allow bumps or reposts. Nobody ever sold anything and nobody ever got what they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
Apparently there is a lot of primadonnas among big engineers who can't for their life understand and accept that maybe not every single channel they ever mixed or recorded was the best sounding channel in history of music recording.
heh
Old 21st December 2010
Taking all this in. Again, many thanks.

The time limit period on the infraction points is a good idea!

Any math formula can be applied to the infraction total "auto ban" function .

So ideas / time frames / systems are welcome.

The idea is to keep the forum on track and to use "the hook" to get people off the stage that keep breaking the rules.
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
LOL mine

N/A 12th March 2010
06:18 PM Never 1 Inappropriate Language Jules
People with handicaps...
5th June 2008
02:29 PM Never 0 Inappropriate Language Jules
Private 25th September 2007
05:14 AM Never 1 Insulted Other Member(s) Jules

i guess i have one to go and i'm gone

Oh yeah?
Well, EAT THIS !!!

28th October 2010

11:27 AM Never 0 Disregarding the thread topic to bash an artist or musical style. Jules

28th October 2010
08:16 AM Never 0 Disregarding the thread topic to bash an artist or musical style. Jules

28th October 2006
06:46 PM Never 1 Inappropriate Language

I got two infractions for one "offense" on the same day ( Jules i think this must be a mistake) and i just now realized that my first infractions happened on the same date, only different year

Scary stuff

I am doomed
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yeah?
Well, EAT THIS !!!

28th October 2010

11:27 AM Never 0 Disregarding the thread topic to bash an artist or musical style. Jules

28th October 2010
08:16 AM Never 0 Disregarding the thread topic to bash an artist or musical style. Jules

28th October 2006

I got two infractions for one "offense" on the same day ( Jules i think this must be a mistake) and i just now realized that my first infractions happened on the same date, only different year

Scary stuff

I am doomed
heh

god i need to laugh..i'm mixing stuff on the other screen and i need a brain ****** now and again stike

EDIT: wow now that word i used is also used in conjunction with inner ear irrigation LOL
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

How about some kind of a points system for science / belief - contradiction of arguments in a thread? Would help the newcomers separate snake oil from the cold physical facts. It could be something as simple as a button to push if you feel the other side of the argument is based on a belief. And then the thread would have a "credibility index" of some sort based on the average of these clicks.

Some recurring argument threads come to mind where this would have saved mods some work..
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The time limit period on the infraction points is a good idea!
Yep.

Generally we seem to be fairly good at self moderation around here. The internet is a wild world in general and forums like ours are a prime example of that.

Rules are good, though.

My hat is off to you, Jules.....and all the rest of the Mods.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Abusive or flaming or foul language or insults
Wrong sub forum
Over harsh on a newbie
Off Topic
Dealer / manufacturer posting only to generate sales
Sexist or locker room or homophobic content
Disrespect to an industry veteran contributor
Well, if you're going to penalize posters for being "over harsh on a newbie" and "disrespect[ing] to a veteran", why not just fill in the huge space between newbie and veteran by offering protection to the intermediates, as well? Heck, why not blanket protection for all. Why do the newbies and veterans get treated with kid-gloves while the rest of can safely be pummeled with insult and invective? [insert ironic smirk here]

Actually, a better question: Why do intelligent adults need any protection from nasty comments? Sure, I can understand a ban on sexist or racist comments, but, jeez, the rest of the stuff that's listed above is the sort of stuff that comes with the territory when you have passionate discussion in a free and open society.

And, yikes, a penalty for publishing an off-topic post! Those are my favorite posts!

(New-found respect for: Sigma.)
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaT View Post
How about some kind of a points system for science / belief - contradiction of arguments in a thread? Would help the newcomers separate snake oil from the cold physical facts. It could be something as simple as a button to push if you feel the other side of the argument is based on a belief. And then the thread would have a "credibility index" of some sort based on the average of these clicks.

Some recurring argument threads come to mind where this would have saved mods some work..
Explore this further?

Seems interesting..
Old 22nd December 2010
here is an example of a name em shame em area

(warning, I think a lot of NSFW threads here)

The Something Awful Forums - Leper's Colony
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
Well, if you're going to penalize posters for being "over harsh on a newbie" and "disrespect[ing] to a veteran", why not just fill in the huge space between newbie and veteran by offering protection to the intermediates, as well?....

Actually, a better question: Why do intelligent adults need any protection from nasty comments? Sure, I can understand a ban on sexist or racist comments, but, jeez, the rest of the stuff that's listed above is the sort of stuff that comes with the territory when you have passionate discussion in a free and open society.

And, yikes, a penalty for publishing an off-topic post! Those are my favorite posts!
Thats just a sketch list, some of the most frequently cited complaints from forum members about other forum members behaviour have been people....

*Being nasty to newcomers
*Chasing away VIP (multi platinum hit-maker) producers & engineers that contribute here..
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think its a bad idea.When infractions happen for whatever reason it should stay between the offender and the mods.A List like that will probably turn users on to talk about it in threads, get on with the comments about why somebody was infracted-banned and so on.And i think its just Bad taste.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
... What do you think of an "rule breaker page" where it's possible to see all the current infractions?...
I think that's a super-excellent idea whose time has come.

If there could also be a "summary" (quotes of the "offensive" text that led to the action) then it would be crystal clear what language/monkeyshines are "not tolerable" and this would delineate, in case anyone is unsure, what's okay and what's not.

And I volunteer-- okay-- let's wait until we see how this idea goes.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

The public infractions is probably going to spawn a lot of talks on the threads. But it could be done the same way the iTrader is done now. It could just show a number of comments made by others on the side of avatar. When clicked it would show those comments. Comments could be made by linking to a thread and just a vote for "relevant" or "irrelevant".

Commenting should also be restricted to people above certain amount of posts to prevent possible misconducts by registering new users just to comment someone.

This might not have come as clear as I intended, but I hope you get the idea.
Old 22nd December 2010
BTW - in that forum the publication of the exact text or image that got the person banned its at the moderators discretion.. And if we adopted it it wouldn't be operated as a 'side show' for amusement. Gross, profane or insulting material would not be re published for view...lest jokers try to 'game it' and have a post there be some sort of badge of honor or spoiler 'victory' etc.. tutt
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats just a sketch list, some of the most frequently cited complaints from forum members about other forum members behaviour have been people....

*Being nasty to newcomers
*Chasing away VIP (multi platinum hit-maker) producers & engineers that contribute here..

to me that's lame..chasing away? are they wimps? no self confidence? ego hurt if people don't like what they do..i can't stand CLA vocal treatment on mixes i said it to his face at the NARAS AES event in front of a few hundred people...soo??? im sure he cries in his 24 carat gold soup spoon LOL..and again there are people who probably think i suck..soo?

i have plenty of gold and plat recordings..but i also don't think my doesn't stink or that if i decide to post on a public site that everybody thinks that i have to be treated with deference and reverence

the main part of our JOB is to be able to interface and work with a wide variety of personalities and egos and get the best we can out of the situation..to expect less out of any 'seasoned " veteran isn't right..and what "artist" isn't passionate or HIGHLY opinionated about his craft? PASSION AND OPINIONS ARE WHAT DRIVE OUR BIZ AND THIS SITE..people can look up facts anywhere

i know my father ..who has over 100 gold and plat records himself..laughed when i directed him to the site..because he said.."these people worry more about specs and gear than music..put up a mic..turn the knobs till it sounds good and hit record"..it wasn't because of irreverent people
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
BTW - in that forum the publication of the exact text or image that got the person banned its at the moderators discretion.. And if we adopted it it wouldn't be operated as a 'side show' for amusement. Gross, profane or insulting material would not be re published for view...lest jokers try to 'game it' and have a post there be some sort of badge of honor or spoiler 'victory' etc.. tutt
Exactly. My feeling is that if someone here is so demented they are willing to risk their membership for such cheap 'victories' then they will be gone before sundown anyway. "******" is a very effective way to euphemize gross insults.

What I am trying to get at, with all the sincerity that my heart can muster, is the rare case when a warning or an infraction seems disproportionate to the offense, in fact the connection between the two is downright mysterious.

Making the connection lucid and demonstrating its justification-- that would help everyone, all 'round.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I think the dealer/gearpimp would bother me if these guys wern't either telling you how to make a diy solution your self, giving technical info, and genuinely helping others with the aera they claim expertice in but the facts are most of them do. You see a lot of the electonics guys posting geekslutz forum giving advice on the mics they mod them selves. The guys in the studio building acoustics forum have no problem telling you how to build bass traps on your own. They have answered my questions numerous times and given sound advice countless times and I think they genuinely contribute.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
..there are probably 3 to 4 dozen people here who have a firm grasp on audio recording science and techniques and the history to back it up
I'd alter that slightly to say there's about 3 or 4 dozen who have a thorough, comprehensive grasp on audio recording science. Then, a significant number have a workable knowledge of audio recording science. The rest are newbs and pretenders.

And isn't that about the right ratio? This is a place where the experienced apprentices can consume real "meat" from the more experienced pro's. Newbies are of course welcome to join in as well, but many times I wish they'd police themselves and not make categorical statements they have no real understanding of.

ProSoundWeb, a sort of competitor to this site, has a good number of "name" industry pro's participating there, incl a couple "giants" like Massenburg. But unlike GS, I NEVER see any hard words or insults being hurled there, by either pro's, apprentices, or even pretenders. Not sure why that is, but it's probably due to the fact that GS has FAR more traffic, which inevitably leads to more "incidents," I guess
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear
New thread reporting function - your input requested... Lets clean GS up!

Jules I think you should have a selection like "excessive posting by a newbie", or "please do your own homework".

Some of these kids get on here and rather than read and learn and do their own research they just post one topic after another such as; best microphone under $300, best microphone under $600, best microphone under $1000, best....

It gets ridiculous, they need a gentle prod on proper etiquette.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaT View Post

Quote:
Explore this further?

Seems interesting..
Useful idea, I think. Even something like a, "was this response helpful?" button? I've seen similar on other forums... a "+" or "-" reputation button. Not a way to ban etc., but a way to give others an indication of how helpful (or not) that posters' responses have been to others in the past. If you want to really limit over-use of the button, make it so the OP is the only one who can give + or - rep? Of course, it'd be silly for some bedroom-mixing-through-ipod-headphones person to be giving negative rep to an industry pro who's advice was to get a better monitoring system before buying a $10k microphone. So, tricky, that one, but I think over time it would show who's helpful and who's not.

As for shilling one's wares, I don't mind seeing it so long as the person is up front about who/what they represent. But I'd always much rather read posts from engineers who have used multiple types of whatever and can offer an honest assessment of their experience. (+rep for that guy heh ) Still, if Joe EQ-maker is posting "What you need to do is buy my latest EQ box" as a solution for every thread's problem/question, well... it gets irritating, but it only hurts his own reputation anyhow. Probably still only worth a :rolleyes but could be harmful to paying advertisers as well.

I've never reported/flagged a post on GS, so I don't know how the current system works, but here's my humble suggestions for "reporting" buttons:
*Abusive / Harassing
*Disrespectful
*Restricted/Forbidden Topic (politics/religion, etc.)
*Off-topic
*Spam
*Illegal
Plus, adding a dialog box (with limited character input to keep it short) asking for a description of why the flagger felt the need to flag
...which would only alert a mod, who would decide the appropriate course of action.

*Add a +/- rep button

Quote:

Did you read some of those reasons for getting banned? That's almost as good a read as the reviews of the $6,800 speaker cables
"Post better. User loses posting privileges for 12 hours."
"Would it kill you to capitalize a bit? User loses posting privileges for 12 hours."
"Dumb post. User loses posting privileges for 1 day."
"Didn't post a funny picture. User loses posting privileges for 1 day."
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

To to change the subject (because I thought this would be a good thread to ask the question) but is there a way to bring up the threads you've posted in recently -- other than "advanced search?" I know some boards provide this handy feature
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Rules are good, though.
After further consideration, and further review of the proposed new guidelines........

.......I have changed my mind.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Maybe take the opposite tact from control/censorship to achieve the same end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu6gr8 View Post
It's a shame to lose marquee vets, so maybe it does make sense to be aware of the insults and disrespect before they drive away members.
This would take some time to implement, but , maybe mods should have a rating that they would assign below a person's avatar as it becomes obvious who the poster is - grammy winner, gold record engineer, veteran producer, etc.. - almost like the medals that hang on a soldiers uniform showing awards/medals he/she has garnered in their career -- so that cranky newbies can think twice before slamming someone who obviously has a world more experience than they do. They would still need self control, but somehow, it's easier to be level headed if you know that the person you're about to insult was making gold records before you were born.

Ex : I got into it with bob clearmountain here once about mono vs. stereo room mics. I wasn't disrespectful, but I called him out on his opinion, and supported mine. He didn't like my opinion. heh heh We went back and forth, and really I don't think either of us was too upset, BUT, had I known it was Bob, I would have just shut the hell up and smiled. I'm NOT going to tell that man how to mix.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
New ones just in!

Excessive negativity

oooooooh...there goes half the GS population right there...mards included!

heh

I like the idea of more organized and to-the-point forums with everything in it's place for easy reference, and not too much fluff and noise running through it. The idea of being able to have that along with not having to worry about being hassled or razzed while browsing the isles is a soothing thought.

Bearing this in mind, I espouse 'moderation in moderation' as a general rule, and even more so in a case such as this. Not only can and will threads become too dry to read if squeegied too hard, but the perception of added presence of authority will have already been raised by this excercise in and of itself. Some of the most popular, educated and informative souls here are verrrrry touchy entities indeed. Perhaps the big, foofy velvet hammer is a wise choice of enforcement tool for the moment. (The audience never notice if you turn your amps up little by littleheh)

Just a few honest thoughts from an old-time slut,

Mike Thomas
Gearslutz Witless Protection Program enrollee
Badge of Many Bans recipient

`
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yeah?
Well, EAT THIS !!!

28th October 2010

28th October 2010

28th October 2006

Looks like you should be OK at least until 28th October 2011.
Nice!
p.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
After further consideration, and further review of the proposed new guidelines........

.......I have changed my mind.
I'd really not like coming to GS feeling like going to work...
Old 22nd December 2010
What we need is a Post Nicerizer system. So you post something like "You f'ing moron, I'm going to come over there and crush your pea sized head", and what actually gets stored is something like "Hmmm... interesting, I never considered that. I have my doubts, but as a respected colleague I will give you the benefit of the doubt".

Anyway, as long as having a clue is not a requirement in the new system, I'm ok with it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
What about dealer / gear pimp posting issues? (dealers feel free to contribute) they can annoy people sometimes.
Jules - an associated angle that needs addressing/clarification.....

When there's a piece or pieces of gear that I am excited about, I'm well...excited. That has had you and another mod at least warn me about coming off like a "shill". That was insulting to me. I think before assigning that name to someone publicly, a mod needs to take a cursory look over the person's overall posting record - weeks or months even - to see their overall focus.

IMO, if a person is not employed by a manufacturer/dealer, then a degree if slack - or at least a warning - should be cut to them if they are hyping a product. I mean $#[email protected], this is GEAR SLUTZ. If it's a dealer or manufacturer or employee, then it should be KNOWN that they are an employee, etc., and people can make their own decisions because it will be OBVIOUS that their bias is not GEAR related, but MONEY related. BIG distinction IMO.

BTW, good on you for broaching this subject and getting ideas and implementing whatever you decide to implement. This place definately needs SOMETHING happening to clean it up a bit.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
I'd really not like coming to GS feeling like going to work...
Hi Old Goat.

See, Jules? Velvet hammer. Emphasis on the velvet

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search