The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam 246 - replacing belts Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Tascam 246 - replacing belts

just got new belts but can't find any information online how to do it.
i know there are few Tascam 246 users - maybe somebody can help or point where to look for this?

thanks a lot!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

i think Tascam still does that, but judging by your name, you don't seem to be in the US, correct?

any competent hi-fi store will be able to do so, it's not much different than a domestic tape deck or anything of that sort. if you do try it yourself, make sure you're careful cause the lids on the 246 don't really come off...i think the top one comes off, but has to be sort of forced. from there, and if you can access the transport section, just take a picture so you can remember how the band was in place to begin with, so you know where to go with the new one..

i'd leave it to a tech though...most here don't even charge for something like that.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

yes i'm in warsaw, poland.

there is no tascam and i'm kind of affraid about hi-fi store but will try anyway.
bought recently 246 that spent almost all his life in a box. perfect condition but need to exchange belts.

obrigado!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanclaudevanlee View Post
yes i'm in warsaw, poland.

there is no tascam and i'm kind of affraid about hi-fi store but will try anyway.
bought recently 246 that spent almost all his life in a box. perfect condition but need to exchange belts.

obrigado!
one of my favourite cities in the world...i bet it's a bit cold these days, though!

to this day, my main recorder is still a Tascam 244, the "simple" version of the 246, of which i owned 2. to me, the 246 was always closer to the 388, which i also had but sold (very heavy and clunky), than to the 244 though. it's a very fine machine indeed and you probably made a great score.

don't be afraid of an hi-fi shop if it has a repair section with actual people and not a place where they have to send the stuff and you don't get to see your recorder again for weeks..if they have a shop, ask if you can watch the "intervention" for the sake of learning more about your machine..it should really be a very simple repair. if you still want to try it yourself, here's how a healthy 244 belt apparatus should look like..if i recall correctly, they're pretty close..
Attached Thumbnails
Tascam 246 - replacing belts-244.jpg  
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search