The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you handle losing DAW projects? DAW Software
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

How do you handle losing DAW projects?

Well, first off let me say that I feel for you and that it sucks. We've all been there at one time or another.

Consider it the universe is speaking to you - either about the project, or your practices or both.

Practically and pragmatically hard drives have never been so large and robust so keep plenty around and have a DAILY back up of all works in progress on at least one other drive than the one you are working from....

I myself learned this the hard way. I know have shelves of aging drives that once full go into boxes and closets.

I have found many unexpected gems years later from this practice.

Good luck!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

How do you handle losing DAW projects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaT
Saving with different names as the project proceeds, mirroring raid and DVD backups.

Never lost one single project in my life.
I do the same, I save each project with versioning name changes and clean saves just in case the project file gets corrupted.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Wow, thanks guys. I didn't expect this response. I'm feeling better today and now after reading this thread I have got some ideas.

One of the problems was I accidentally put a space "_" in front of the project name when I started it. Was hardly noticeable! Apparently my backup software didn't like it.

I'm going to consider an extra drive for manual backups. Funny, I have been hesitant for the last 10 years to use automatic backups. Been doing Manual backups before and never lost anything. I know about RAID but it's still scary to me. I'll do both.

Thanks again.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clank72 View Post
Wow, thanks guys. I didn't expect this response. I'm feeling better today and now after reading this thread I have got some ideas.

One of the problems was I accidentally put a space "_" in front of the project name when I started it. Was hardly noticeable! Apparently my backup software didn't like it.

I'm going to consider an extra drive for manual backups. Funny, I have been hesitant for the last 10 years to use automatic backups. Been doing Manual backups before and never lost anything. I know about RAID but it's still scary to me. I'll do both.

Thanks again.
Raid is not a backup plan. If you mistakenly delete a file the redundant file(s) are gone as well.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Has nobody here been using Gobbler?

Backs up DAW files online and only bothers backing up changes since they last backed up. Surprised it's not been mentioned here yet.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

For me it's:

- mac mini... dual drive... main internal drive for programs/samples, 2nd internal drive for audio/video projects. Main mac mini drive is imaged anytime I make a major change.

- time machine backup on main mac mini program drive to ensure it is all backed up.

- manual backup of audio data from mac mini 2nd internal drive to external drive on home iMac via network.

- iMac internal and external drives are backed up to the 'net using backblaze. $5/mo. So I'm effectively backing up the most important stuff in three places.

RAID5 is not a backup plan, but at least if you lose a drive you're still alive.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
For me it's:

- mac mini... dual drive... main internal drive for programs/samples, 2nd internal drive for audio/video projects. Main mac mini drive is imaged anytime I make a major change.

- time machine backup on main mac mini program drive to ensure it is all backed up.

- manual backup of audio data from mac mini 2nd internal drive to external drive on home iMac via network.

- iMac internal and external drives are backed up to the 'net using backblaze. $5/mo. So I'm effectively backing up the most important stuff in three places.

RAID5 is not a backup plan, but at least if you lose a drive you're still alive.
Yes, true RAID is not for backup. I started using Time Machine tonight. It's all new for me. I just didn't take TM seriously at first, it looked very "fancy dancy" and I didn't consider it for serious work. But a few people on this thread are using it so I will give it a try.

I was using a Software RAID/Like system before, and yes the file was copied over on both drives, giving me two bad versions. Lesson learned I guess.

Biggest point is, I lost a project. Data Rescue didn't work for me. I will be redoing the track after I cool down. It just really sets me back as I was almost finished with an album, kinda lame.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreFuzz View Post
I do a manual backup to a dedicated folder after every tracking/mix session, as well as regular full drive images. I also constantly use the "save as new version" command (in Nuendo) which creates an incremental version of the project --- yes, I normally end up with 20 consecutively-numbered project files, but they take up hardly any space, and you're decreasing the chances of not having at least a readable project file.
I do this exact thing but I often add comments to the file name after the number about what milestone or state of the project I'm at. My latest nuendo proj is up to 182 saves but I've had ones go to the 300s before. One beautiful thing about nuendo is you can open up an old version of the project while the current one is still open and drag regions or copy settings to the new one.

As far as backing up the data 2 1 terrabyte drives go a long way these days.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search