The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the Sennheiser MD441 Dynamic Mic worth it's $900 Pricetag? Dynamic Microphones
Old 5th March 2011
WKG
Lives for gear
I think paid about $325 for mine, found it in a pawn shop in excellent shape, case etc. I think it's a great mic, smooth, full sounding and detailed. Can be great on female vocals, flute, clean electric and even acoustic guitar. I've used it on distorted electric guitar, snare also with excellent results. The eq switches give it some flexibility which can be very useful.

I think they are worth a $750 street price but I wouldn't be too quick to pay for a new one. I'd hunt the used market first, especially if I haven't had any hands on experience with one.
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
I think paid about $325 for mine, found it in a pawn shop in excellent shape, case etc. I think it's a great mic, smooth, full sounding and detailed. Can be great on female vocals, flute, clean electric and even acoustic guitar. I've used it on distorted electric guitar, snare also with excellent results. The eq switches give it some flexibility which can be very useful.

I think they are worth a $750 street price but I wouldn't be too quick to pay for a new one. I'd hunt the used market first, especially if I haven't had any hands on experience with one.
+1 on this, I wouldn't pay more than $500 though, but what one can pay depends on what one can afford, I guess. I do love the mic (paid $450).
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
WOW...25%??
I thought 9% was kinda high..
It´s expensive to be rich in Sweden. :D
Old 5th March 2011
In my mic locker there are (4) 421s (might be 5... need to check) and two 441s, a 541. Plus a 609. Those are my Sennheiser dynamics.

They compete with many 57s, betas, EV 308s 408s 27s and an SM7.

The 441 has an almost condenser-like sheen to the top-end and all the punch that makes it ideal for horns and congas. It's not the be-all end-all but it's definitely worth the money and will become an indispensable tool once you find the applications you like for it.
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Addict

Matched with a Fethead the 441 really blooms. It needs quite a bit of gain and I found myself pushing it hard for quiter vocals. With the Fethead, it was as potent as a condensor. It's almost like having a new mic for $100.
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

I have a 441 and I think it's worth the price.
T
hat being said I also own a pair of 421 and if the price is the same, I would rather have a pair of 421 than 1 441.
-Jeff
Old 8th March 2011
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
Matched with a Fethead the 441 really blooms. It needs quite a bit of gain and I found myself pushing it hard for quiter vocals. With the Fethead, it was as potent as a condensor. It's almost like having a new mic for $100.
I've used mine with the fethead also, definitely gives it a bit of different character, seems to open it up a bit along with the boost in gain.

Them fetheads are pretty useful little buggers.
Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Nut

Any folks using these 441s on vocals in less than ideal rooms?

Also who out there has the best price on a new one?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search