The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the Sennheiser MD441 Dynamic Mic worth it's $900 Pricetag? Dynamic Microphones
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Paid $350 for mine. Simply not worth $900, IMO.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

My favorite dynamic mic. Kick, snare, vox, guits, congas!!!!... It's just great, play with the M-S control.
Paid 300€... need another one.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post

I can't imagine the mic lockers of anyone claiming the 441 is the best dynamic mic made or better than condensers under 2 grand... Thats silly...
Not to leave anything to the imagination, mics getting present use are Sony C37, Soundelux E47, Soundelux Elux 251, 2xColes 4038, RE20, 441, SM81's, 57's, 77dx, ev664, Astatic #?......
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
I can't believe something designed and manufactured in europe would cost so much less in the states. Though I guess it makes sense in a way. Sorry to hear.
That's alright, our social security and affordable health care systems make up for a lot of the grief. heh
Old 23rd December 2010
441= my favourite kick mic of all time. Takes EQ extremely well.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Shadow View Post
That's alright, our social security and affordable health care systems make up for a lot of the grief. heh
LOL
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks for all the feedback! So you guys gave me a lot of info and opinions but surprisingly pretty much nobody spoke about any of the alternative mics I listed! I would have thought somebody would say yeah, the 441 is great, but the Electro Voice RE20 is great and so is the MD421, you're getting a better deal getting those TWO mics versus just one.

As for buying used versus new, maybe I'm not too bright about that. But if I could get one for $750 new after taxes like one person said, I might do that and feel fine with the purchase.

Somebody also made the point to rather use $900 towards a royer-121 which is more bang for the buck since it may be better at certain recording applications and can be used for more things. Actually, that's my other upcoming purchase, my first ribbon mic. I had the cash for both a nice ribbon mic like a Coles and this MD441, but a new Universal Audio 2192 converter appeared on the market and I made a move, thus depleting a lot of my microphone funds.

I guess a lot of people have said the 441 is a great mic. But many have also said it's just decent and not worth $900 compared to picking up other mics I could pick up. Again, if people weighed in on the alternatives I mentioned, that would be helpful as well.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Horns mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
Thanks for all the feedback! So you guys gave me a lot of info and opinions but surprisingly pretty much nobody spoke about any of the alternative mics I listed! I would have thought somebody would say yeah, the 441 is great, but the Electro Voice RE20 is great and so is the MD421, you're getting a better deal getting those TWO mics versus just one.

As for buying used versus new, maybe I'm not too bright about that. But if I could get one for $750 new after taxes like one person said, I might do that and feel fine with the purchase.

Somebody also made the point to rather use $900 towards a royer-121 which is more bang for the buck since it may be better at certain recording applications and can be used for more things. Actually, that's my other upcoming purchase, my first ribbon mic. I had the cash for both a nice ribbon mic like a Coles and this MD441, but a new Universal Audio 2192 converter appeared on the market and I made a move, thus depleting a lot of my microphone funds.

I guess a lot of people have said the 441 is a great mic. But many have also said it's just decent and not worth $900 compared to picking up other mics I could pick up. Again, if people weighed in on the alternatives I mentioned, that would be helpful as well.

well it would help to know what mics you have / don't
what do you intend to use md441, vocals?
is the mic for horns and or live audio?

>Actually, that's my other upcoming purchase, my first ribbon mic. I had >the cash for both a nice ribbon mic like a Coles and this MD441,

asked and answered. R121 or 4038.
unless your a live audio guy

i think someone posted nasal sounding. I will say strident. . .
md421 for toms, ill take the r121 or 4038 over the md441 in my studio
i see that mic (441) in live audio more than recording.
bang for the buck dynamics, old M88, sm7, b52, d112, Md421

C
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Shadow View Post
I don't get the SM7B love around here. I always like something better on any source; I sold mine about 6 months after I'd bought it. I found it a thoroughly useless mic.

it's spillover from the low-end forum. us amateurs with our "bad rooms" like them cause they are good for their room rejection. those will better rooms probably fail to see the point.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
I have a lot of mics, 2 25 year old 441s. They are by far and away my favorite dynamics for vocals.

My sister, who is the lead vocalist in the Saturday Night Live band, and has hundreds of session credits now requests a 441 most of the time. We used it on her new live DVD.

Now that said, for a long time I didn't get the mic, so I can understand how some folks might not be thrilled with it, particularly at the higher price.

But if you hang in there with 441s you will start to see that they fill a critical spot in the mic locker, and you will love them for that.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Let me just say... I've had my md441 for a couple days and it's already become a workhorse. I've tried it on many sources, and I'm in love. Glad I bought new, in case something happens to it. Plus I got the frequency response chart with it. You know this is a perfect example of this mic... no damage, nothing
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

Chris, I'd be mostly using the 441 on electric guitar. I could use it on acoustic guitar and vocals, I'm just not clear if a dynamic mic excels at those recording applications.

As for the mics I already own, sadly it's just three for now. A Shure sm57, a Neumann KM184, and an AKG 414.

I'd say the consensus so far is that the 441 is a good mic but not amazing and therefore not worth $900. I'm thinking I might look at alternatives.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

I have an sm7b, 441, 421, and an re20. If I could have just one it would be the re20. They are all great, but the re20 covers the most bases and has "worked", not necessarily excelled, at anything I have ever pointed it at. The others I can't quite say that. For $900 bucks you could get new an re20 and a good cheap ribbon like a Cascade.

A good cheap alternative is the Peavey pvm520i. Does not get a lot of love because it's a "Peavey", but it is one hell of a good mic for the price.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
Chris, I'd be mostly using the 441 on electric guitar. I could use it on acoustic guitar and vocals, I'm just not clear if a dynamic mic excels at those recording applications.
A friend of mine, who plays a spanish nylon-string, prefers it to condensers in that application.
Sometimes we use the high-lift, if we need it to cut through better, but that's about it.
I found that preamps make quite a difference with this mic.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I am really addicted to the MD-441. I haven't seen anything better for live horns. I use it at a jazz club, and when I bought mine even people who usually don't pay much attention to the sound came and asked what I have done with the trumpet, they had never heard it like that.

What I like especially is that it is very gentle with the top end of a sax or a trumpet. Seems to get just the right amount of brightness, but not too much. If I try the same with an MD-421, for example, the result is not the same no matter how much eq I apply.

I bought mine from a closing radio station, second hand. At least in Spain these microphones are standard issue at many radio studios.

Where it shines most is on live applications. There are plenty of microphones that aren't as usable in a live concert, especially at a small jazz club (my case).

I own one, would own more than one. And most sax players use to be really impressed by its sound. I remember, during a gig (we usually have a weekly one, that week we had two) it happened that there was trumpet in both gigs. During the first gig, Joe Magnarelli, who was watching and was going to play the next day came and told me "Hey, guy, I want that mike tomorrow!!!"

Surprisingly, a handful of players pretend a SM-58 but I guess it's more of a familiarity thing. The SM-58 misses that subtle top-end metal sound.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Good mic, but for the money I'd get a 421 and a pr30 or 40 maybe...
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjam View Post
(...) I haven't seen anything better for live horns.(...)
+1thumbsup
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Head

NSL (northern sound and light) has them for about 735 with shipping
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by etneccas View Post
NSL (northern sound and light) has them for about 735 with shipping
I've done good business with NSL, highly recommended
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Head

why dont you try renting a few of your choices from a good music store and decide for yourself,
if you dont like it then you wont be stuck with a hunk of ****....which is very far from what any of those mics are....
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Nut

Bought one for 300 euro. It's the first mic that works for my voice. I've tried a lot of condensers, several of the tube variety, but the 441 seems to be just right.
Have used it as a second mic on acoustic guitar, the results were certainly usable.
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Addict

MD 441 .. very nice microphone and can sometimes be totally the right mic to use. Whether it's worth $900 for a new one is very much dependent on one factor: you and how you perceive the sound. Sennheiser have stated that this is an expensive microphone for them to build in recent times, which could explain the relatively high new prices.

Personally I think the 441 is the top of the pack of large diaphragm dynamics, but that's just a personal opinion, others will prefer an RE 20, MD 421, AKG D12/D25/D112, Heil Pr40 etc for the same applications. Generally the sonic flavour of these mics is full, robust and smooth, with minimal sibilance. Applications range from kick drum right through to overheads, and it can be said that these mics can be used in any close or medium distance miking situation with predictable results.

They are a robust mic and I haven't yet seen an old one that had a problem, so unless you absolutely HAVE to have a new one, second hand provides better value for the same performance.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the continuing feedback everyone. It seems like in the last wave of posts the 441 has regained it's popularity even at it's price. I suppose I'm still leaning away from the 441 now. I'm thinking of picking up the EV RE20 and then maybe a PR30 or PR40 from Heil Sound. I'm not questioning that the 441 is great, but I think picking up those two mics I mentioned will give me more bang for my buck. It doesn't sound like I can't live without a 441 if I'm recording electric guitar or something else.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

It's a nice but not indispensable mic. I wouldn't buy it again.

The only reason I hang on to it is I keep hoping I'll find something it's really good on, cause it's one of my best-looking mics and people often ask about it. I'll give it another couple of months...
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Nut
Agree with the reply that this mic fills a critical gap, and can be used on just about anything with good results. I'm sure, with care, it will outlive me.
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Guru
Overpriced

The 441 has some very notable attributes.
Almost perfect off axis response.
A more gentle than normal proximity effect. This is due to the dual mics in there. Tweeter woofer. I would gladly lose the Eq if the price could come down. The level would probably increase also.

Due to the text book off axis these mics are amazing at some jobs.
Flutes and whistles, pipes, where the sound has many sources.
Kick drum.
Snare or Hat, the spill doesn't sound ugly.
They don't feed back easily in live work.

For some voices they excel. Soft but clear e.g. Paul Simon.

DD
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Addict

If you play the trombone I would say the 441 is worth whatever you pay for it. Otherwise, I'd say 3-400 bucks is about right, not really better or worse than any other dynamic mic in the same price range (SM7, etc.)
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
I can't believe something designed and manufactured in europe would cost so much less in the states. Though I guess it makes sense in a way. Sorry to hear.

Also, I found 441s on Google shopping for $756... Yes! BUT! That website is NOT an authorized sennheiser dealer. That makes me feel uneasy. If you're gonna buy new, might as well buy from Sweetwater.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO BUY USED:

Don't think twice, buy here

Madooma is the most reliable way to buy a nice used mic. I'm sure lots of GS will tell you the same thing.
Europe has generally higher sales taxes(VAT) than US(25% in Sweden).

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsematary View Post
Yup, you wouldn't believe it's true but it is, seen it tens of times. Totally makes my head spin to be honest. Almost everything seems to be considerably cheaper in the US... you lucky sob's.

Here's another example: I bought my mom a niceish swiss watch when I was stateside - thing was 40% cheaper than over here, and I'm based in Sweden (which a lot of americans confuse with Switzerland funny enough) which is part of the EU just like Swizz... Like I said, it's madness. No, in fact it's worse, it's Sparta.
Switzerland is not a part of the EU. The VAT is also a whole lot lower, 7,6%.

Sorry for the Ot!
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmartin View Post
Europe has generally higher sales taxes(VAT) than US(25% in Sweden).

Switzerland is not a part of the EU. The VAT is also a whole lot lower, 7,6%.

Sorry for the Ot!
WOW...25%??
I thought 9% was kinda high..
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
WOW...25%??
I thought 9% was kinda high..
It's 20% in the UK now.

I'm glad I don't live in Sweden.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search