The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken CU-29 Condenser Microphones
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Telefunken CU-29

Anyone used/heard one of these?

I see a decent amount of talk about the AR-51 & AK-47, but nothing about the CU-29.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

It's not hyped in the highs.

The 51 is hyped in the highs more than this mic, and the 47 might be slightly more hyped in the highs. Slightly.

Frankly the 51 and 47 I prefer to this mic. Not sure why I prefer them, in technical terms, but I did try them all at AES.

Just buy a 51 or 47.

The CU-29 is a good value. The 51 and 47 are an incredible value.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Good to know, thanks.

I want to demo all 3. My local music shop only has the ak-47 in stock and the ar-51 is special order (in my experience special order items are non returnable...). That being said they have great prices right now ($1350can for the ak47 and $1650 for ar51).
My main mic right now is a ma-200 and im looking for a different flavour. I've used a vintage 251 before and it totally blew me away, i don't expect any of these mics to sound like the 251 but i've always liked what telefunken has to offer.
Old 21st December 2010
member no 666

Unfortunately - production fell way behind on the CU-29. While 500 units should have been finished by this point in 2010, the fact of the matter is that only perhaps 45-50 have shipped [with a couple hundred more in production]. Things should be closer to "caught up" by the end of the year and I'm sure you'll see more "reviews" of the product.

Peace.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Good to know, thanks Fletcher.

Well i'll have to wait and see how long it'll take my dealer to get the ar51 in, maybe there will more more of the cu29's floating around then so i can give them all a good workout before deciding which to buy
Old 12th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias schuch View Post
Good to know, thanks.

I want to demo all 3. My local music shop only has the ak-47 in stock and the ar-51 is special order (in my experience special order items are non returnable...). That being said they have great prices right now ($1350can for the ak47 and $1650 for ar51).
My main mic right now is a ma-200 and im looking for a different flavour. I've used a vintage 251 before and it totally blew me away, i don't expect any of these mics to sound like the 251 but i've always liked what telefunken has to offer.
We do have the AR-51 and CU-29 in stock, and we actually just did a few recordings comparing them that we'll be posting soon.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
We do have the AR-51 and CU-29 in stock, and we actually just did a few recordings comparing them that we'll be posting soon.
awesome, i'm looking forward to hearing them!
Old 12th January 2011
Quote:
I should be able to post some clips within the next 48 hours. My first impression is that the CU-29 is a bit mellower than than the AR-51 which we preferred on the soft ballad vocal we recorded tonight. If you're looking for a smoother/velvety mic then you will likely prefer the CU-29 or AK47 MkII over the AR-51. If you do a lot of rock/pop where the vocal needs to really cut through the drums and distorted guitars, then the AR-51 will sit right in your rock mixes with little or no EQ.
Old 12th January 2011
Quote:
Good to know, thanks.
I want to demo all 3. My local music shop only has the ak-47 in stock and the ar-51 is special order (in my experience special order items are non returnable...). That being said they have great prices right now (1350can for the ak47 and 1650 for ar51).
And are we talking about the new AK47 MkII or the older model AK47?, because they are quite different. The AK47 MkII and the AR-51 are the same price, so I'm assuming your dealer has the older AK47 if they are selling it for that much less than the AR-51. There has been some confusion, because some people referred to the old model as the "MkII" before the new MkII was released.
Old 13th January 2011
Quote:
FYI, my wife's water just broke (meaning we're off to the hospital to have a baby), so I'll need a couple more days before I can get those clips posted.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
FYI, my wife's water just broke (meaning we're off to the hospital to have a baby), so I'll need a couple more days before I can get those clips posted.
I can't tell you how many times I have heard that excuse.... Congrats and best of luck to you and the Mrs. on the new toy.
Old 13th January 2011
More cowbell!

Quote:
WOW, that is fantastic and exciting! Praying for good luck, safety, health, blessings for you and yours.
Old 17th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub View Post
WOW, that is fantastic and exciting! Praying for good luck, safety, health, blessings for you and yours.
Back from the hospital with a healthy 6 lb. 9oz. baby boy! Thanks for the good wishes! I'm working on getting those clips and photos ready to post later today.
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Back from the hospital with a healthy 6 lb. 9oz. baby boy! Thanks for the good wishes! I'm working on getting those clips and photos ready to post later today.
Congrats.

are the clips of the baby crying?
Old 18th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Congrats.

are the clips of the baby crying?
Not too far off I suppose...
It's the lead singer of my band singing a couple takes into four different mics for comparison purposes.
Old 18th January 2011

I had an early version to check out and I thought it was great. It went back to Tele for some tweaks and is supposed to be shipping back to me this week or so. I thought it was pretty open sounding, was brighter then my 67, I really want it for all the girl pop we do now. To my ears it sounded great and I'm not one for bright vocal mics but it really sounded spot on.
Old 18th January 2011
Comparison of 4 Telefunken Mics

Here is the Telefunken comparison we did the other day, comparing the 251e, CU-29, AR-51, and AR-513:

Telefunken Mic Comparison - Telefunken 251e, AR-51, CU-29 Copperhead, and AR-513 Mics
Attached Thumbnails
Telefunken CU-29-4_telefunkens_test_1-11-2011.jpg   Telefunken CU-29-4_telefunkens_test2_1-11-2011.jpg  
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Addict

Fwiw I just got this mic last week the cu29 and it sounds amazing
Granted I've only owned rodes and ribbons before but this thing sounds brilliant
Vocals are smooth and highly detailed and just sit up high in the mix
I've barely had to process my final takes for a few things

Cheers
Old 18th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Here is the Telefunken comparison we did the other day, comparing the 251e, CU-29, AR-51, and AR-513:

Telefunken Mic Comparison - Telefunken 251e, AR-51, CU-29 Copperhead, and AR-513 Mics
cool test, can you post only vocal tracks? raw
Old 18th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by M300SEL View Post
cool test, can you post only vocal tracks? raw
No problem, I'll post the solo vocal tracks later today. For us the test was slightly more useful when we heard how the vocals sat on top of the music, but yes, it's always helpful to hear the vocals by themselves too.
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No problem, I'll post the solo vocal tracks later today. For us the test was slightly more useful when we heard how the vocals sat on top of the music, but yes, it's always helpful to hear the vocals by themselves too.
Can you throw the AK-47 mkII in there too?
Old 18th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgyptionRing View Post
Can you throw the AK-47 mkII in there too?
Yes, I think the next test will be the AK47 MkII, AR-51, and CU-29 on multiple voices so people can compare all the RFT large condensers. Our original purpose of this test was to see how close the new AR-513 Mod compared to the stock AR-51 and 251e, and we threw in the CU-29 last minute.
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I think the next test will be the AK47 MkII, AR-51, and CU-29 on multiple voices so people can compare all the RFT large condensers. Our original purpose of this test was to see how close the new AR-513 Mod compared to the stock AR-51 and 251e, and we threw in the CU-29 last minute.
Thanks, looking forward to it.
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgyptionRing View Post
Thanks, looking forward to it.
+1

also, Greg, congrats on the baby!
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Just listened to the samples.

This test definitely confirmed that at some point in time i have to own a 251 :D
I didn't really like the ar-51 (it sounds closer to my ma-200 than the 251 imo. It did sound a lot better on song 2 tho)
How much does it cost to mod the ar-51? the 513 sounded pretty good to my ears.
The cu-29 was surprising for sure, with a bit of top added its definitely a contender.

My favs:
1. 251
2. ar-513
3. cu-29
4. ar-51
Old 19th January 2011
Quote:
also, Greg, congrats on the baby!

Thanks! He's the cutest boy who has ever lived.

Quote:
My favs:
1. 251
2. ar-513
3. cu-29
4. ar-51
For these two songs (which are both meant to be soft with light instrumentation) I completely agree with your choices. I do think the AR-51 is very well suited for pop/rock records though, but was not the best for his voice on these two songs. For the real album tracks we used the 251 through a Fatso compressor and they turned out very nice.

Quote:
How much does it cost to mod the ar-51? the 513 sounded pretty good to my ears.
The AR-513 is a new mod that Telefunken just started offering which is a rebuilt AR-51 with the Titanium CK-13 capsule (same capsule in the 251T described here: TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik :: TELEFUNKEN ELA M 251T). The complete mic can be ordered for around $3200 (Telefunken is still settling on the price and it also depends on what accessories, tubes, etc. you might want) or if you already own an AR-51, you can purchase the mod for a little more than the difference in cost between the two. I believe the AR-513 in this test was the first one Telefunken ever made and our client who bought it wanted to come over and see how it stacked up against my 251. He prefers the CK-13 over the CK-12 capsule, but I'm still undecided.
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:

Thanks for these. The Cu-29 is pretty interesting.
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for posting those files!

I prefer (on laptop speakers):

1. 251e
2. ar-513
3. ar-51
4. cu-29

...which is the order by price as well.

When listening to the ar-51 at AES in 2009 I really liked it, I would like to get a nice tube condenser at some point this year.

But listening to these shoot-outs is painful since I am definitely a long time away from buying a $9,000 mic...
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

AR-513 sounded great.

-R

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search