The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Pres with which Compressors are you using? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

What Pres with which Compressors are you using?

I know that everybody has certain preferences on pre's because most of the time it depends on what your going for. However, I am really curious about what everyone else is using for progressive rock.

After doing some research, I have found different opinions on tracking guitars, drums and bass.

For guitars, I heard of many people enjoying UA and Avalon pres. What are you using specifically?

For Bass , --- I heard of people liking certain consoles, U5's, UA such as the MKII and 6176 etc... What are you using specifically?

For Drums, I heard of people loving the AD2022, Api 3124, Neve 1073, Daking, 312 rack, the 512 etc.. , and the popular compressors seem to be the UA 1176 and Distressors. What are you using for pres and compressors?

Kick- (pre name)--(compressor)
Snare--- blah blah blah

Thanks guys for all your time!!!!!
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear
API for drums

The 3124 is lovely for virtually any drum duty; I'm lucky enough to work with a great drummer, and it's often a mono OH, a room mic, kick, and snare through the API. Done. I love the UA LA-610 for bass...and if I think about it, almost anything, frankly. I can't make it not work without trying pretty hard; I've heard it referred to as a "desert island" kind of unit, and I don't disagree. For the kinds of guitars I'm often recording, sort of semi-clean, not terribly loud --a lot of Rickenbackers and AC-30 type amps--I'm loving a combo of a Royer R-122 (duh, what's not to like?) and the preamps from a Yamaha PM-1000. They have kind of a forward mid-range and a nice presence that makes them very guitar-friendly to my ears.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Somehow I doubt that the average responses to this thread will be much different from the average responses in the rest of the forum.
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks!

Thanks beatlefan1970!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm using jbl 7510a's for everything. It keeps uniformity though the mix and album. They get the job done and well. For compressors anything with nobs and or sliders. If the guts can be replaced with Panasonic fms and other such trimmings that is a bonus too. If I made ever enough money recording to pay for another album I would just buy a diffrent set of good pres that were all the same too. It's one of the reasons albums from the same band would sound different than their last back in the day. When the beatles moved to abby road one of the things that made the music sound so much different is they changed consoles. I also believe more musical freedom and awesome use of compression helped.
Old 2nd January 2011
500 series nutjob

For guitars, i like the A-Designs HM2 NAIL, Pete's Place BAC, API 527, Standard Audio Leve-or
For Bass , i like the Pete's Place BAC, API 527, Standard Audio Leve-or
For Drums, i like the A-Designs HM2 NAIL, Pete's Place BAC, API 527, Standard Audio Leve-or

for buss duty i like the A-Designs HM2 NAIL, and the elysia expressor, as well as a few others.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search