The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MGMT Observation. Sequencers (HW)
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

MGMT Observation.

Out of the 2 versions I've heard of Electric Feel by these guys the Abby Road recording leaves the other in the dust.

Song starts at 1:20

And then the radio release...

Wondering if anyone shares my opinion, or if I'm one of a kind.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

thanks for that.

great versionthumbsup
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

It's a great recording of a great live performance... However, sonically it is very hard for me to agree that this version "leaves the other in the dust"...

Dave Fridmann did an excellent job mixing soft and aggressive elements while engineering, mixing, and producing that song. Give the guy some credit.
Old 20th December 2010
Nice to see younger groups who both have good taste in music and can actually play it. The released version I can understand why the did it. It has a certain vibe to it, in a mega-pumping, clipping sort of way. But the live version is really nice.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarrenl View Post
It's a great recording of a great live performance... However, sonically it is very hard for me to agree that this version "leaves the other in the dust"...

Dave Fridmann did an excellent job mixing soft and aggressive elements while engineering, mixing, and producing that song. Give the guy some credit.

I'm in no means taking away from Fridmann, but my personal taste is not seeing it the same way.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I enjoy them both . Liked the little interview segment to.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I prefer the live version in this instance.

OTOH I find that most Live at Abbey Road recordings are among the best performances from the respective artists. The vibe seems to bring out some extra mojo...
I enjoyed Gnarls Barkley's set in peculiar immensely. Transformer and Who's Gonna Save My soul were wondrous.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

I like that song a lot, but I've always thought it was just a little too laid back and should have evolved more. I would have liked to have seen more contrast both before and after the bridge, which is really creative. At the end of the live version they start to jam just a bit, and I think it adds to the performance overall. I'd still go further with it, but it's good to see they've loosened up with the material.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Wow -- I fully expected a horde of MGMT haters to chime in, judging by other threads I've read here at GS

I was under the impression that the first album was recorded in somebody's bedroom... maybe I was wrong about that. Anyway, it's hard to compete with a recording done at Abbey Freakin' Road studio. But I like BOTH versions, mostly because it's just a good song regardless
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Its interesting - I listened to the abbey road one and it sounded great. Then I listened to the original mix and it sounded harsh and clippy and slightly unpleasant. Then I went back to the abbey road one and it sounded soft and dull and less interesting.

I guess it all depends on what you are used to, and what the music is compared to or competing with.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Great band! Is anyone loving the new album Congratulations?

I like that they didn't go for the same style/formula of their 1º album.

People, note that the second video is NOT the same as the recorded version. This video is much harsher and unpleasant. Its easy to hear the difference if you compare between both version the organ starting at 0:17, which is clipping like hell in the video.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Bear in mind that by the time they recorded the Abbey Road recording they had the benefit of having played the song many hundreds of times! Makes it much easier to find a groove and vibe.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

I really dig the Abbey Road version. Just recently got into this band. When they first hit the scene a couple years ago I thought they were just some hipster band that cared mostly about their image. I was wrong. They are great song writers and smart people. Awesome senses of humor too, I can spend a lot of time just youtubing their interviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas1808 View Post
I dig it quite a bit. They definitely evolved. I love how you can hear influences of everything from 60s psychedelic to 80s brit pop, but with their own style. Very unique band.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
Saw then 6 time from 06-till now. They started as 2 guys making a pop cd as a joke in reason with a few serious songs. Demo got passed around and someone liked it and got a chance with the flaming lips producer. They had some extra musicians join at this point. There live show in the start was anything but stellar but since then they have gotten better. The guys really laugh about all the unintentional sucess. They put out congrats as a real attempt and the label is pissed. In an interview they said the label will be on them to reproduce the debut and seem to laugh about it. They told the label they were making a mistake after the bag of cookies they handed the board room meeting labled acid cookies LOL
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfairchild View Post
I dig it quite a bit. They definitely evolved. I love how you can hear influences of everything from 60s psychedelic to 80s brit pop, but with their own style. Very unique band.
Indeed. They know ****loads about music.

MGMT and The Beatles are the only bands which I like 100% of their recordings. Some people will hate me for putting MGMT and Beatles in the same sentence.heh

Offtopic:

What always amazed me about the Beatles is that of their ~300 songs, there is very little garbage, if any. The same can't be applied to many other bands.

Dang how cares of what I think heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I like that they didn't go for the same style/formula of their 1º album.
At first I was lukewarm about Congratulations, because it wasn't like Oracular... but it has grown greatly on me, for the very reason you cite.

Quote:
People, note that the second video is NOT the same as the recorded version. This video is much harsher and unpleasant. Its easy to hear the difference if you compare between both version the organ starting at 0:17, which is clipping like hell in the video.
I thought this as well.

I had read that at first, they weren't so great as a live band. It seems that the addition of some good musicians has really helped. The Abbey Road version was well played
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
What always amazed me about the Beatles is that of their ~300 songs, there is very little garbage, if any. The same can't be applied to many other bands.
How did they do this? Actually, I can't think of ANY true garbage in their oeuvre. I never liked "Blue Jay Way" but hearing here in later years, it's actually very cool
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

You guys should check out Elbow at Abbey Road. Lets just say it far from sucks.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

The Abbey Road version has much better guitar work, very cool. It breathes a lot more, but I'm skeptical it would've been a dance hit if released that way. The overcompressed distorted sound is very appealing to young people these days.

Agree with the Beatles comment re: very little trash, but they definitely had a few stinkers. Revolution #9 for starters, and There's a Place...
Old 22nd December 2010
Thanks for posting this. I've wondered what MGMT would sound like without being crushed. Both versions are really good. In contrast to the above, check out Time To Pretend, Abbey Road version vs. album. I think the crushed album version just blows away the Abbey Road version.

The album version is just heartbreaking and has this wonderful youthful sound that contrasts beautifully with the lyrics about how youth is fleeting, often wasted. It totally knocked me out the first time I heard it, and continues to do every time. The Abbey Road version would have mostly passed me by as mildly ELO-like.

Watch your ears while switching between.

..ant

Abbey Road version, starts about 1:30:

Album version, starts after commercial break:
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

The biggest difference with 'time to pretend' is the level of the bassline synth. I think its just a different perspective, and is just as good, listened to in context of that live show..
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
I had read that at first, they weren't so great as a live band. It seems that the addition of some good musicians has really helped. The Abbey Road version was well played
I had heard that too, but I think they have progressed quite a bit. This performance is great. MGMT deserve all their popularity imo.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I really love the writing and production on Oracular Spectacular but the sound drives me crazy. Thin, clipped and pumpy. I would much prefer to hear the whole record as that "Abbey Road" feel.

I wish bands would start releasing two versions, one that will sound great on myspace through laptop speakers, and another that would sound great through real speakers. Why not? Movies release multiple formats.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Both versions are great! It's great to hear a phenomenal studio band play those songs live and pull them off flawlessly. Although if they released the album like that, I don't think it would have caught on with as much hype as the compressed, synth heavy studio version. They have a certain sound on that album that defines them. Personally I like the live one a lot, but both have charm.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
Wow -- I fully expected a horde of MGMT haters to chime in, judging by other threads I've read here at GS
Words can not express .....

Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealRoach View Post
I really love the writing and production on Oracular Spectacular but the sound drives me crazy. Thin, clipped and pumpy. I would much prefer to hear the whole record as that "Abbey Road" feel.
MGMT gets a pass from me with the hyper crush. And I'm as extreme as it comes on the "knock off the loudness" crusade. But They're actually using it as an intentional sound. I own both of their albums and enjoy them.

Quote:
I wish bands would start releasing two versions, one that will sound great on myspace through laptop speakers, and another that would sound great through real speakers. Why not? Movies release multiple formats.
There is no reason not to. I scratch my head frequently pondering the absence of these options.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

One of my favorite vinyls is Rolling Stone's Rewind record - has fantastic songs, very haunting to me now and back when I bought it and for some reason Oracular reminds me of that record a great deal. Not sure about the sounds but I love the record. So much for the kids not making good records these days (a view I don't subscribe to) - plonk Oracular at a party and it goes down a treat. I'm 39. The kids are a'it.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

road tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC1980 View Post
Bear in mind that by the time they recorded the Abbey Road recording they had the benefit of having played the song many hundreds of times! Makes it much easier to find a groove and vibe.
yeah, no fair!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
One of my favorite vinyls is Rolling Stone's Rewind record - has fantastic songs, very haunting to me now and back when I bought it and for some reason Oracular reminds me of that record a great deal. Not sure about the sounds but I love the record. So much for the kids not making good records these days (a view I don't subscribe to) - plonk Oracular at a party and it goes down a treat. I'm 39. The kids are a'it.
I think it sounds and reads even closer to this album

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Excellent band! @ OP, yeah I think that version leaves the other in the dust.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search