The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alesis HD 24 xr as IO? Audio Interfaces
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Nut

No, you can only digital in/out or analog in/out
I wanted to record analog and monitor digital to avoid messy cables but cant be done simultaneously.

The user manual is fantastic. Read it
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Nut

Waveterm,

Hmmmmm? I do think that you can assign (with the right firmware) some of your HD 24 channels in and some out. This is a feature in one of the menus.

I'm fairly certain my engineers do it often.

Bob
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Nut

Well, in that case

Then i have to buy a second HD24XR..
One for A/D and one for D/A
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Bob View Post
Waveterm,

Hmmmmm? I do think that you can assign (with the right firmware) some of your HD 24 channels in and some out. This is a feature in one of the menus.

I'm fairly certain my engineers do it often.

Bob
Would you mind ask them how?
(i have the latest firmware (1.21)
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear
I just picked one of these up, so it's fresh in my mind. AFAIK you can assign each pair of channels to EITHER input or output, not both. I believe that the HD24 outputs both digital and analog simultaneously, but records only from one or the other, again by pairs. So, yes, you can send a signal from a prerecorded track to a processor and back into another track, although you may have to correct for latency somewhere along the line.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

I don't know if with the latest firmware update this is true with the older HD24 model but with HD24XR's the inputs are assignable in pairs (you control whether you have an analog input or a digital input to each pair of channels - Channels 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, etc.).

Press the "UTILITY" button (grey button on the far right hand side) repeately until you get to this menu page . . . "UTIL11:Input Map". Now using the "up", "down" and "left", "right" buttons (oval shaped grey buttons with triangle shapes on them in the middle of the master section) you can assign each input pair to either Analog or Digital input .

I'm sure with some searching this has been covered before here in old threads about the units.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, that is true. But, you cannot use the converters ( A/D and D/A ) independently.

This means that if you choose to use a channel/track as an analog to digital converter, Analog In > Adat Out, you cannot simultaneously use the same channels ADAT IN to Analog Out function.

This is becuse the HD24/24XR is a recorder and works either in input monitor or playback mode.

So, if you want to use it as a standnalone A/D / D/A for your DAW you´re down to 12 channels of bi-directional conversion. To do 24 channels bi-directional, you need 2 HD24´s.

WT
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

The Alesis like Radar units converters are not full duplex. This should not get in the way of it being a very usable tool at a great price. You are not stuck with any particular setup as with a few button pushes you can change it. Below is a copy of what I wrote about it's possible setups in another converter thread here recently.

If used as a standalone recorder you have all 24 channels coming into it for recording. It's also a simple and quick process to pull the hard drive caddy from the Alesis, put it in your computer caddy and use the free software to transfer files for DAW use. There is a good reason why the Alesis makes a nice stand alone / remote recorder. Jim William's uses his Alesis HD24XR stand alone with an analog mixer, skipping the DAW completely much the same way many Radar users do. It's how we all had to do it in the old days with tape recorders.

If using the Alesis just for it's converters with an interface such as the RME 9652 and DAW software you would then have 22 channels coming in to record at the same time with 2 channels going out for monitering. If you don't have an analog mixer or separate system for headphone cues then depending on how fancy you want to get with that you would take additional channels for cues out of the RME interface software mixer. In all probability even with several different interface software mixer cue mixes and stereo monitering, you would still have at least 16 channels coming in to record at the same time, equal to some other converters being discussed in this thread. Frankly the only true way to get any zero latency cues is with an analog mixer or analog cue system. That issue has been discussed to death with prior threads but if you have to use the computer interface for cues then RME's system will give you one of the lowest latencies outside of a Pro Tools HD DSP setup.

Where you get hit the hardest using a single Alesis unit is if you have this type of setup . . . at mix time if you hybrid mix using ITB mixing and only hardware inserts for outboard gear. In that setup you would use 12 channels out and 12 channels in (2 out for monitering, 10 out to the outboard hardware, 12 back in from the outboard hardware - remember you pick I/O in pairs).

Where the Alesis shines above the competition is when used with an analog mixer, especially large analog mixers. Even if you record the analog 2 buss mix back to the same DAW computer, you will have 22 channels going out to the analog mixer for only $1500. Got a bigger mixer, buy 2 HD24XR's and 2 RME 9652's for $3000 and have 46 channels going out to the mixer. Got a really big desk buy 3 HD24XR's and 3 RME 9652's for $4500 and have 70 channels going out to the mixer. Since the mixer and patchbay handle all the cue mixes and outboard you have all your channels feeding inputs to the analog mixer except the two coming back into the same DAW computer to record the analog 2 buss mix. You can use 3 RME 9652's in the same computer without any problems. At one time there were beta drivers to use 6 RME cards in the computer at the same time (I never heard how that worked out but I think the most PCI slots available on one of the new computer motherboards out there right now is 5). Even with 3 RME interface cards in a computer, the drivers are rock solid with low latency under full load. It's this inexpensive expandability that really kicks the butt of the competition, making it one of the best bang for the buck DAW hybrid setups using an analog mixer. So for those of you with an analog desk with lots of inputs, I don't know of any other solution to record 70 channels at once or get 70 channels from the DAW to the desk, all using decent converters for only $4500. If you do chime in.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm View Post

So, if you want to use it as a standnalone A/D / D/A for your DAW you´re down to 12 channels of bi-directional conversion. To do 24 channels bi-directional, you need 2 HD24´s.

WT
Yea that is a pain if you want to record more than 12 inputs and send back separate tracks to the console. 12 inputs is usually the norm for a typical session for me but the times I needed more I submixed some playback tracks like over heads and toms to open up more inputs.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Hi everyone. This thread is really good, since it answers a lot of questions.
I just have 1 question, since the Alesis output is only at 103 db (if I am correct) then how does it compare to like Lynx or others that ouput at close to 120db, to be used with a desk, that is.
OK, given that you can turn the trims up on your desk with the Alesis, and turn the trims down with the other hot converters, but will it change the sound in itself when mixing down? I am talking like the sweet spots for instance.
I have been asking this question for a long time, and found no answer, so I am very thankful of the thread.
sincerely,
dan le
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Nut

Thank you for al the answers! This helped me out!

Just a last question, i can buy a original HD24 (non XR) recorder with the EC-2 upgrade (for little money). Does this machine now have exactly the same functionality as the XR version. If so how can i verify or check this?

Thanks again.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Flexable: The EC2 epansion kits don't come up for sale very often and when they do they are big bucks.

dan le: The signal to noise ratio spec of the unit is 103dB A-Weighted, analog in to analog out. So the 103db figure you quote is NOT the output
level. For both input and output, the nominal level specs for the Alesis are for +4dBu operation (1.228 volts RMS if you put a voltmeter on it), equal to -15 dBFS. So at -0dBFS (max input or output for digital before clipping/distorsion) the Alesis will have +15dBu of headroom.

The Lynx Aurora 16 also at the same +4dBu nominal operating level has it's converters set to -16 dBFS. So the Lynx will give you an extra +1dBu of headroom.

Each manufacturer sets their own units levels instead of there being an
industry wide standard set in stone plus some units are adjustable. This linked article will get into some of the specifics concerning your question:

Interfacing Analogue & Digital Equipment
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Flexable: The EC2 epansion kits don't come up for sale very often and when they do they are big bucks.
The HD24 that i can buy has already the EC2 epansion kit installed.
Has it exactly the same functionality etc. as the XR version?
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Yes.

WT
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm View Post
Yes.

WT
Thank you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search