The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tape machine is "warbling" Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

tape machine is "warbling"

hey all
i have a tascam ms16 thats never given me problems. now i put a reel on and its playing as if im adjusting the vari-speed. just warbling all over the place. I did have some issues with the hubs but recorded plenty of stuff while the hubs were shaking and this is the first time ive noticed this pitch problem.

tape alignment problem?
bad tape?

thanks
Old 20th December 2010
One with big hooves

Check the pinch roller... is it hard? It should be somewhat soft and pliable... if its a rock it needs to be replaced. Needs to be done every few years at a minimum.

Another possible culprit is that the motor tension/torque has drifted and are spinning at different speeds. That needs to be checked/adjusted at least a few times a year... like changing the oil in your car.

There's a lot of other things it could be, or several things in combination... but the pinch roller and motor torque are the first things to check.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Check the tape. If it is old it may have stuck together too tightly and the motor isn't powerful enough to keep the spidles rolling smoothly. I had the same problem with the Tascam until I tried new tape.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just a dumb suggestion to ask if you clean it religiously and properly? Every tape?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

This may help on all the "grippy" rubber parts (like belts, pinch-rollers, etc.):
RE-GRIP RUBBER CLEANER 1 OZ - PART# RAW-10008
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search