The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing Horns and make it sound fat!
Old 15th July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanitas View Post
Agree with what king2070lplaya just said.

Never, ever ever ever add a sampled horn into a real horn section. I have done work where people ask me to replace just the trumpet part of a keyboard horn section and then leave in the fake sax and trombone. It ALWAYS sounds horrible as samples have unnaturally perfect intonation and unrealistic attacks and releases, not to mention trying to match the dynamic subtleties with volume rides just isn't going to happen.

One more thing, I'd consider sending the horns to a mono bus. Sometimes when you spread them out through the stereo spectrum, especially if you aren't dealing with a large amount of horn tracks, you lose some of the punch.
I gotta disagree with you a little, I have snuck a Mojo Horn sampled trombone into a section where everything else was real, and that worked fine, but more than one and you're asking for trouble. I do use Mojo for horn arrangements tho, and then replace with the real deal. I wouldn't do horns mono either I think a little spread is OK
Old 18th July 2011
Brass

Double track the brass... I once was invited to an Earth, wind and fire session ( Faces) and they double tracked the brass....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search