The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Receiver Studio Monitors
Old 20th December 2010
  #1
Receiver

Wow... first new thread for me in a few years.



So this is a little off topic for a "recording" forum but I don't trust questions like this in an audiophile type of forum for obvious reasons.

I need a new receiver for my home system for TV / Movies and for mix checking. I have a Harman Kardon mid range receiver now, it's a great unit but it is starting to make some odd noises so I see a new one in my future.

What is a good quality (and good sounding) A/V receiver for around $1k? Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks
Old 21st December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
FWIW, the basic no frills receiver/amplifier that is on my wish list is the NAD C 725BEE.
Old 21st December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
spectacular g's Avatar
 

Cambridge Audio-Audio Advisor

Cambridge Audio have a look...

Best bang for the $$$ easy.

FWIW I'm running the 840 preamp and cd player at the studio, awesome sounding.

G
Old 21st December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
musical5's Avatar
 

Too bad a Marantz 2270 can't do anything other than stereo (without a remote) I just love the sound of these classics.
Old 21st December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5 View Post
Too bad a Marantz 2270 can't do anything other than stereo (without a remote) I just love the sound of these classics.
I'm a Marantz lover here!
I have a 2285B and love the sound, and look of it.

I grew up with that kind of equipment but could never afford it.
Now that I'm an old fart at 50 yo, and can afford it, I'm re-living my "formative years".

Also like Fisher and the super sized Sansui stuff that you need a forklift to carry.

To the OP, NAD makes some nice stuff that seems to hold it's value over time.
Old 21st December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
musical5's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I'm a Marantz lover here!
I have a 2285B and love the sound, and look of it.

I grew up with that kind of equipment but could never afford it.
Now that I'm an old fart at 50 yo, and can afford it, I'm re-living my "formative years".

Also like Fisher and the super sized Sansui stuff that you need a forklift to carry.

To the OP, NAD makes some nice stuff that seems to hold it's value over time.

Indeed. The Marantz stuff was very expensive back in 72'. Maybe the equivalent of 3K in todays money.
Old 21st December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
rkopald's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
FWIW, the basic no frills receiver/amplifier that is on my wish list is the NAD C 725BEE.
I too have a NAD receiver and amplifer(And CD Player!) and it's all great gear. Rotel is good too.
Old 21st December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopald View Post
I too have a NAD receiver and amplifer(And CD Player!) and it's all great gear. Rotel is good too.
+1 on Rotel gear.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #9
Thanks guys

Anyone else?
Old 22nd December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 

check out an Adcom reciever
Old 22nd December 2010
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

Yes, quite awhile for you...me too.
+2 on Rotel or Adcom ( currently listening to a Rotel and B&W's).
Outside the audiophile stuff, I would look at Denon.
Happy Holidays, Steve
Old 22nd December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Neenja's Avatar
 

If you're going to do Adcom or Rotel you might as well do Denon or Integra.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 

you REALLY think Denon and Integra hold their own with Adcom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
If you're going to do Adcom or Rotel you might as well do Denon or Integra.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #15
Gear Head
 
Dogbreath's Avatar
+3 on the Rotel....Rotel + Klipsch =
Old 22nd December 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Boschen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
FWIW, the basic no frills receiver/amplifier that is on my wish list is the NAD C 725BEE.
+1 for NAD
Built like a tank, no frills, minimalist controls and styling.
Lots of clean gain; my type of thing.

Adcom would be my second choice.

Marantz is good gear, though I think they add on too many features. Love their older models though.

Rotel is also high-quality.

Any of these brands would make a good choice for the heart of a quality system. At that level, a lot comes down to personal preferences and getting the desired feature set.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 

The Outlaw stuff is suppose to be really good for the money as well. But I have no personal experience with it.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Neenja's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
you REALLY think Denon and Integra hold their own with Adcom?
Absolutely. There is nothing magic in an Adcom product. They are kind of average midfi and Denon and Integra do that very well on their better receivers. There are really good deals on DEnon 3806/8 and 4306/8 receivers and they are feature packed and sound good.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I'm a Marantz lover here!
I have a 2285B and love the sound, and look of it.

I grew up with that kind of equipment but could never afford it.
Now that I'm an old fart at 50 yo, and can afford it, I'm re-living my "formative years".

Also like Fisher and the super sized Sansui stuff that you need a forklift to carry.

To the OP, NAD makes some nice stuff that seems to hold it's value over time.
Just got a Marantz 2235 from fleabay (via "Buy it Now", had to because these things tend to get bidded up), for $260, installed it with my huge Cerwin-Vega speakers, hooked up my old Stanton Magnematic turntable, put on John Mayal and Blues Breakers vinyl.... Yeah!! Thats the sound I have been missing.

The 2235 (35 watts per channel) is more than enough to power the CV's which are 400 watts @ 4 ohms), and I have a large living room. The Marantz sounds amazing after listening to a low end consumer surround receivers for years.

I would not waste time trying to do the digital surround thing for music cd's and vinyl, just get a decent surround system for HD and Blueray, and a separate vintage stereo system for music. Well worth it if you have the extra speakers.

Just so we don't get too off topic, I use the home stereo to audition my mixes (and to enjoy them from time to time). Having the vintage Marantz makes the process more enjoyable.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 

I certainly don't think Adcom is "magic" . . . though I would rather have it then Denon and Integra. Of course we are all different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
Absolutely. There is nothing magic in an Adcom product. They are kind of average midfi and Denon and Integra do that very well on their better receivers. There are really good deals on DEnon 3806/8 and 4306/8 receivers and they are feature packed and sound good.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
I would not waste time trying to do the digital surround thing for music cd's and vinyl, just get a decent surround system for HD and Blueray, and a separate vintage stereo system for music. Well worth it if you have the extra speakers.

Just so we don't get too off topic, I use the home stereo to audition my mixes (and to enjoy them from time to time). Having the vintage Marantz makes the process more enjoyable.
The issue is that I share the living room with my partner and she isn't really into having speakers all over if you know what I mean....



If she had her way we would just use the speakers in the TV ("they work and I can hear the dialog on the movie / show so what's the big deal with these sub woofers and such, why are you wasting money on them? They really look bad as well").

*sigh*

It was a hard enough fight just getting surround speakers past her, I don't think a whole second system is going to fly.... but I like your thinking. thumbsup
Old 23rd December 2010
  #22
So how do the NAD / Rotel/ Adcom / etc stuff stack up against the Harman Kardon I have now?

To be honest the Harman Kardon isn't really too bad. It isn't a audiophile piece by a long shot. But it had all the connectivity I needed at the time and it sounded better than anything else I demoed at the store 7 or 8 years ago when I bought it.

I would put the Harman Kardon in the same camp as the Denon / Integra's of the world. If the Rotel or Adcom type of stuff is a step up that would be cool, if it is just a step sideways I don't know if it is worth the extra bucks.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 

. . don't forget to read up on the Outlaw Audio stuff. I remember reading good things about it, especially for the money. It's in the NAD range . . . good bang for the buck. I have some Adcom amps in the studio next to some Brystons. They hold their own with the Brystons . . . though the Brystons beat them . . . . but not by much. Talk to Jim Williams about Adcom. He is a well respected tech, who speaks highly of them and even has a mod that he does . . . says after the mod, they go hand in hand with the Bryston. Now the receivers may be a different animal altogether, but same lineage. I also have an Adcom pre amp and amp as my personal stereo. I don't know your Harman Kardon, so can't comment. I'm not telling you that the Adcom stuff is going to make you want to jump out a window it's so good . . . but nothing will in that price range. There are many options though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
I would put the Harman Kardon in the same camp as the Denon / Integra's of the world. If the Rotel or Adcom type of stuff is a step up that would be cool, if it is just a step sideways I don't know if it is worth the extra bucks.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
. . don't forget to read up on the Outlaw Audio stuff. I remember reading good things about it, especially for the money. It's in the NAD range . . . good bang for the buck. I have some Adcom amps in the studio next to some Brystons. They hold their own with the Brystons . . . though the Brystons beat them . . . . but not by much. Talk to Jim Williams about Adcom. He is a well respected tech, who speaks highly of them and even has a mod that he does . . . says after the mod, they go hand in hand with the Bryston. Now the receivers may be a different animal altogether, but same lineage. I also have an Adcom pre amp and amp as my personal stereo. I don't know your Harman Kardon, so can't comment. I'm not telling you that the Adcom stuff is going to make you want to jump out a window it's so good . . . but nothing will in that price range. There are many options though.
thumbsup

Thanks Knox.

Yeah. I am going to look into the Outlaw stuff as well as the Emotiva stuff '78 mentioned above.

I have a little hang up in my mind about going with stuff I have not heard before. Not that the smaller companies are bad (often the 'off the beaten path' stuff is actually better), it's just that it's hard to learn about the Great River Electronics and Crane Song's of the home audio world unless you hang out in those circles (which I don't).
Old 23rd December 2010
  #25
Gear Addict
 
Mr. Light's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
The issue is that I share the living room with my partner and she isn't really into having speakers all over if you know what I mean....



If she had her way we would just use the speakers in the TV ("they work and I can hear the dialog on the movie / show so what's the big deal with these sub woofers and such, why are you wasting money on them? They really look bad as well").

*sigh*

It was a hard enough fight just getting surround speakers past her, I don't think a whole second system is going to fly.... but I like your thinking. thumbsup
Adcom or nad, can't really go wrong with either, can be had very reasonably too.

As for the speaker issue.....if you can tuck a sub in there somewhere, NHT superzeros are nothing short of incredible. I've had everything, klipsch, B&W, KEF.....you name it. The superzeros reproduce mids like nothing else. I have 3 pair of them now (all matched with subs). Awesome
Old 23rd December 2010
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Light View Post
Adcom or nad, can't really go wrong with either, can be had very reasonably too.

As for the speaker issue.....if you can tuck a sub in there somewhere, NHT superzeros are nothing short of incredible. I've had everything, klipsch, B&W, KEF.....you name it. The superzeros reproduce mids like nothing else. I have 3 pair of them now (all matched with subs). Awesome
Thanks.

Yeah, I have been leaning towards a pair of 802's.

I actually have a really old pair of Event 20/20's and a sub in there from my 90's studio days. They sound okay but the real positive is they are big enough that I can replace them with something else and not take up "more" (i.e. I should be able to slide in the 802's without too much complaining).

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
rolandman / Gadgets Gadgets Gadgets
5
ppen / Post Production forum
13
berniebeaudry / Post Production forum
1
knerd / Low End Theory
0
bcgood / Geekslutz forum
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump